LIQUOR KITS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate whenmy honeybleeds the brakes on the grain truck...I pump and hold down....Till my legs are sore.....Maybe he needs a Mighty-Vac for Christmas.
smiley4.gif

jobe05 said:
I'm also impressed with Deans knowledge on these kits, he has been 100% correct every step of the way.

aw shucks....
smiley9.gif
Just trying to help! I have to admit, that I'm a bit of a tech head when it comes to making alcohol. My family has a long history with wine, and the art of distillation. While not entirely legal in Canada as well, we distill for farm fuel
smiley2.gif

But seriously, thanks for compliment.

Northern Winos said:
I hate when my honey bleeds the brakes on the grain truck...I pump and hold down....Till my legs are sore.....Maybe he needs a Mighty-Vac for Christmas.  
smiley4.gif

I race motorcycles, and after each race, the brakes get so hot that we actually boil the fluid in the calipers, so we bleed out the burned fluid for fresh. You can get the mityvac to make the job VERY much easier, and you can also pick up one way caliper bleed valves that allow you to pump the brakes with no air that gets back in too. I've used both, and I like the MityVac better.

OK........ Mine is complete!

Racked, added the last 2 packets of whatever it was and waited for it to dissolve...... with some persuasion from my drill and mixer/stirrer......

Added the Hazelnut and low an behold....................... Not impressed.....

Oh well.... maybe with some age it will get better. Kinda flat with a little hazelnut flavor. A lot of hazelnut on the nose, smells wonderful, but taste is a little weak. Color is a little on the light side as well. Not brown or light brown......... Maybe straw color....

Edited by: jobe05

light straw color, is the color of Frangelico, a hazlenut based liquor from Italy. Maybe try a small sample of it, and see how it compares to yours. I know that Frangelico with cofee and good cream is wonderful in the winter months! I'm such a huge fan of anything hazlenut!

Maybe you can add a Hazelnut liquor extract to spruce up the flavor more.

Thats what I was thinking of doing, but first I'll let it sit for a wile to see if once it ages it may blend better.

Today, crushing 35 more pounds of Scuppernongs to add to the 3+ carboys of scuppernong I already have. This will probably be a 3 gallon batch.

Friends are coming over to bottle the other 6 gallons of Blackberry port. I tried a glass while down there and it was awesome. I tried the black pepper trick that NW suggested, but just took the pepper shaker and added about 1/4 teaspoon to the 6 gallons and it's perfect. Can't wait for these to age.

Mine has cleared now...I think I might leave it alone for a few more days before I rack it off the fining's and then add the goodies...

clearSmall-1.jpg

This stuff is kind of scaring me...I have learned from experience...Tequilla...Mescal...Vodka..etc.....if you can see through it...Leave it alone.

I like Dean's idea of putting it in coffee with whipped cream...or something like that....Maybe a Silver Cloud with the Ameretto...?

If it taste like mine, you won't have to worry about it...................

The people that received a bottle as a gift will though................
smiley36.gif

If its a little flat now chances are it will only get flatter
smiley19.gif
go to the wine stoe and by a bottle or extract ,put that in it,should pick up the flavor,don't give up
smiley3.gif

I like Wade's idea of adding the Hazelnut Liquor Extract bottle. These are gallon batches so you could add two at least and still not be overpowering. The flavors take a bottle per 750 to 1 liter per little 20 ml bottle.

This stuff is really clear now...Hope the gas is all gone out of it...don't want my little bottles to blow up....

clearSmall-2.jpg

Going to maybe work with it tomorrow PM.
smiley4.gif

Wow are those clear, i thought they were empty until reading your post!

They are clear, but the floaty stuff on the bottom is easily aroused.....Will set them up on the counter top where they will get siphoned tonight...and, let them settle out.

Had my eyes tested today...so everything was strobing...like the snow was blue like arc-welder blue. WalMart was twinkling...I was the mystery shopper wearing shades.......So, when I got home I pulled the window shades for awhile and worked on my Liqueurs.

Got both batches siphoned, added the glycerin, carmel coloring, flavoring and sugar...then bottled...

bothSmall.jpg

TheHazelnut [thanksJobe] Brandy was a straw color as Jobe had mentioned...so I added a teensy bit of the Amaretto carmel coloring to it. It actually doesn't taste too bad...smells really nice.

brandySmall.jpg

The Amaretto smells great...so good I put some in coffee...That was really nice.

amaretto1Small.jpg

It was a long/messy job...when I first started today I was wondering if it was worth it.....Now that it's done and I've wiped up all the sticky spots off of everything and look at my stash...Yes...it was worth the trouble...But,my kits were free/gifts...so they will be given as gifts...but will keep some for in coffee...etc.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Looks great NW. I loved the smell of the "Hazelnut" (you called it Almond) Brandy but felt the flavor was a little lacking as compared to the smell. I haven't bottled mine yet, I'm thinking of getting a small bottle of flavoring and adding it. I too would like to add mine to coffee so the more the flavor the better.
How did the Amaretto compare with the Hazelnut? I like the color. You said something about adding sugar, was that just to the Amaretto? I don't remember the Hazelnut asking for that................ or did I miss a step.....?
smiley3.gif
smiley9.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Back