LIQUOR KITS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
package E sounds like dry isinglass, and as Jobe can attest to, it is a real bugger trying to re-hydrate that stuff. Careful about the boiling water, as isinglass is protein based, and can start to denature if the temp is too high. You just have to be patient rehydrating the stuff. Sometimes overnight is required for that. I use liquid isinglass now.

I think it's Bentonite...I should have done it today but got side tracked...Will mix it up tomorrow and add it.
I have used Bentonite before, think I will try it in the blender and if it sets up too much might add some of th liquor to it and buzz it up.

Do you think processing some of the liquor in the blender with the Bentonite would hurt anything???

good morning,I make my own extracts,and have always made my own lemon-cell0,vinilla liquior,its quite simple if you can make simple suyrp and by any kind of grain acholo the you cam make liquoirs,or add flavorings of any kind and it can be fun
smiley36.gif
if you can think it you can do it//
smiley3.gif

bentonite used in kit functions is usually added in the beging,once you blended it with warm water and add it to the wine it sort of drifts to the bottom it reamearges in the fermentation stage and is pulled up with the yeast bobbling action,if I,am correct do you have a second finding agent if so that will also add in the clearring of the product,kits finded in the begining and finded at the end as a rule,,at least all the kits I've done do this
smiley3.gif

It's Not Bentonite!

Dean is correct, it's dry issinglass that needs rehydrating.... Alot of rehydrating. So apparently the temp wont help it, just give it more time than the direction call for.

Would it work better in the blender like the Bentonite does???

I have some liquid Isinglass, should I use that??? Or just stick to the instructions????

rehydrating in the blender might help, but you still need to let it sit for a while. I'm not sure how much isinglass it uses, but if it doesn't clear well for you, certainly use a bit of your liquid isinglass.

I buzzed both batches up in the 'Lil' Oskar'... mini food preocesser....

oskarSmall.jpg

One of the packages got thicker than the other, I marked which jug it was and will add some liquid Isinglass if it doesn't clear as well as the batch that was more like jelly.....wonder why they were a little different?

Edited by: Northern Winos

joeswine said:
good morning,I make my own extracts,and have always made my own lemon-cell0,vinilla liquior,its quite simple if you can make simple suyrp and by any kind of grain acholo the you cam make liquoirs,or add flavorings of any kind and it can be fun
smiley36.gif
if you can think it you can do it//
smiley3.gif

Do you make extracts like vanilla for cooking???? I have also heard of putting Vanilla beans in sugar for flavored sugars.

What about coffee liqueurs???? Have you treid that too???

A friend makes all kinds of Liqueurs with Vodka and fruit.

I would like to make a chocolate liquor and add a touch to some Strawberry or Raspberry wine.

So many possibilities out there...we just have to pick each others brains.Edited by: Northern Winos

If you want to make a real yummy vanilla liquior start with van/beans from madagasagar,ther the best in the world take five and slit them down the side,before that you can either buy everclear which is 95 proof grain alhcolol,or voka,grain will give more power with less volume as apposed to vako,softer not as pronounced in a quart jar place the beans and alcohol,let in set for at least a month,in a dry dark place,then let your senses take over and your creativity,try orange vest the same way ,coffee beans,or real coccoa beans,lets your mind wander,I get excited when it cimes to blending or makeing something unique//
smiley31.gif

Would love to get Cocoa Beans...Going to a real health food store tomorrow...hope to get Vanilla Beans...they had them before..2/$1.80...will ask for Cocoa Beans...can't remember seeing any since I was in Mexico.

Did the blender trick work?

Mine has bigger chunks in it but it did clear, very quickly.

When I went down to look at it last night, most if not all of it was floating, I shook the bottle and some fell to the bottom. I will go check it here in a minute, I'll take the camera.

Here's some pics:

This is what it looks like before moving it:

20071127_172548_100_2776_resize.JPG

After shaking it up a bit:

20071127_172758_100_2777_resize.JPG

And it settles out pretty quickly:

20071127_173012_100_2778_resize.JPG

As you can see, they are big chunks, but it did clear this pretty well.

When I rack, I'll use a racking can and run it through a screen in my funnel.

Edited by: jobe05

Joan posed an interesting question:

"it
isn't "vinted", is it? So what should go under your name? Distiller?"</span>Good question. What would you call it?
</span>

<div ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center">

<hr align="center" size="2" width="100%">

</span>

The little blender/food processor worked well...I guess...It sure stirred it up, butit did have jelly type chunks in it.

*Well, it's not distilled liqour it's just beefed up water at this point..then we add the flavor.

I looked at mine a hour ago and it had black stuff on the bottom and some floaty stuff too...when I tilted the bottle it stirred up and got black again...

Jobe...does that stuff float back up to the top??? Will it ever settle???

It goes under the same name as wine unless you want to end up behind the bars wearing stripes. Unless you are a licensed distillery- don't use the word "distiller".

some of it seems to go to the bottom and stay there, most seems to float around and go back up to the top.

I noticed on the bottom of the jug looked like that gelatin, clear fuzzy type build up over the black soot that had settled.

I didn't really shake mine, I just kinda rocked the jug back and forth to mix up the top. I'll do that a few time to see if I can get more to settle out each day............. Or maybe I'll just rack it like I said before.

You will end up with some of the black in the liquid when you are done. When you add the flavor it also adds color and you don't see it. This is why I suggested the carbon snake when you guys started. They cost about $12-15 and you can get lots of replacement carbon cheap. They hook up to a spigot and you just run the "booze" through it and it comes out sparkling clear minus the off flavors of the yeast byproducts. I experimented fairly heavily with this a few years ago and made 6 gallon carboys of the stuff adding my own flavors. You can sweeten and give it some body with corn syrup(like karo syrup). Lots of Christmas presents that year. I also had some of it I accidentally left in plastic buckets outside when it got down to -10 degrees outside for a few days. I tried to dumpit out to salvage it, but there was ice left frozen in the bucket. I only was able to retrieve about half of my fermented sugar water- but boy it was strong
smiley2.gif

I don't really have a problem with the charcoal. It's the dry isinglass that is a mess. The charcoal racked off fine, leaving just a little in the must which the isinglass took right out in less than 24 hours. Now it's cleaning up the dry isinglass thats going to be tricky............

I like your freezing trick, and if I had thought of it I could have started 5 of these kits, froze 5 gallons and freeze. Pour off three gallons and finish the kit. Quick mind math says that would be around 30 to 35% ABV, or 60 to 70 proof.......... that would have been good.

Here's the label that Joan has come up with...........

I absolutely LOVE it:

20071127_191250_Hazelnut_Brandy.jpg

Back