LIQUOR KITS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine looks like a lava lamp...

Picture008Small-3.jpg

Do we have to drink this stuff????
smiley11.gif

Amazing how Joan can get those squirrels to pose like that! The Liquor kits look......interesting.

Northern Winos said:
Mine looks like a lava lamp...

Picture008Small-3.jpg

Do we have to drink this stuff????
smiley11.gif

Wow...... What a difference between mine and yours. I would say that it's the isinglass removing more of the Charcoal in yours and I had less charcoal in mine, but based on your pictures before, yours looked clearer than mine did.

Hopefully that will all fall out. I still think you need to get them toped up with something or rack to something smaller.

Yours looks crystal clear and like a snow globe....Mine looks so funky....The slimy stuff is going up and down in the jug just like a lava lamp.

I suppose I should have treated it like a wine and kept it topped up...they never mentioned that and I just used the containers I had on hand..Hope I didn't ruin it....It actually was smelling good today.

I could rack it to a few smaller containers...but, leaving early in the AM...so will check on it tomorrow night...maybe time will settle this stuff out....

Had hoped it would be something drinkable so I could give some to the neighbor who gave me the kits...Time will tell.

Joan, that label is completely awesome. I had t show that to my wife who really isnt in to all this stuff and she really loved it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The isinglass chunks will keep rising until the "wine" is degassed fully. Basically CO2 is making that stuff float.

The label was nothin'! It only took copying, pasting, resizing, cloning, liqifying, filtering, rasterizing, smart objecting, painting, and using about a million tools!
smiley4.gif

I loved every minute of it! Thanks, Jobe for allowing me the privilege and the fun of making your labels for you!

How humbling is that...... you thanking me.............. I owe you big time for the labels that you have made for me, and I thank you. What people don't realize is it's not just the labels that look great, it's how somehow..... your able to almost personalize them to fit me, my wines and the bottles I put them in.

I told Joan in a PM that it's completely ironic how she put a squirrel on the label with the hazelnuts.

This past weekend when my sister was here, we had a small squirrel on our front porch. I took him out a walnut and a pecan which were rather large and he didn't touch them. My sister suggested a smaller nut. So I took a couple of the hazelnuts out and left them on the porch rail and he came right out and took them to his home.

Joan, somehow captured a moment in my life and created a label with it.

At first, I thought Joan was my neighbor, but she doesn't know what color my car is...................

Based on the color that is on the front of the box, it will be just a few shades lighter than the brown you used in the label. I believe it will be almost a redish brown color.

Jobe you will love the Hazelnut Brandy. Cindy used to put it in her hot chocolate until it ran out. All this talk about the brandies.....I have got to open one of the two bottles of Cherry Brandy I made a couple years ago.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with this little kit. I do wish I had gotten 5 of them though. I got this about 2 years ago while traveling through Charlotte. I just happened to stop at my local Brew shop and he had them on sale for $16. It's been kicking around here for a couple of years.

I'm also impressed with Deans knowledge on these kits, he has been 100% correct every step of the way.

I just went down and looked at mine, it was nice and clear with the lees on the bottom and the white floaties on top. I got the mityvac out and started to degas. It quickly foamed up and started rolling the lees off the bottom of the jug. The thick black yuk was everywhere, it looked just like NW's did in her picture. Within a minute after stopping the degassing, it was almost Chrystal clear again.

So your fine NW, just degass......... degass............and degass.

Northern Winos said:
A girlfriend makes chocolate truffles for Christmas gifts....I picked up a couple bottles of Liquor Quick for her to make her own liqours...

lqSmall.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these???

Is adding glycerin necessary??? Can we pick that up in a drug store...grocrey store???

Boy..these are sure small bottles...20cc...It sure must be some strong stuff.

I missed this question earlier. These are added to enough alcohol to make about a 750 ml bottle on average- some a little more, some a little less. They actually tste quite good, but that depends on the base alcohol you use. I have used corn syrup instead of glycerin before and it tastes just as good. It sweetens it and gives it a little more mouthfeel than the alcohol alone. I found by the time you were done, it wasn't much cheaper than going out and buying pre-made stuff that was to your taste. They do make fun novelty gifts though. Worth trying
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

A mityvac is a brake bleeder designed to bleed brake lines and master cylinder of all air by yourself instead of having one person under the car releasing the zirk fitting and the other pumping the brake peddle. You use it to create a vacuum in the carboy and degass your wine much better than with the mix stir and your drill but together they will do an excellent job of degassing your wine and the mityvac costs anywhere between $25-$65 at a auto parts store but cheaper through Hrborfreight.com and get the metal 1 as its stronger and rebuildable. I have the plastic 1 and its cheaper and is fine but will probably break way before the metal 1 would.

Back