LIQUOR KITS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
A neighbor brought over a gift...[*PEACE OFFERING] 2 kits to make liquors...One is a Hazelnut Brandy and the other an Amaretto [which I love].

I opened the boxes and have begun to read the directions. having never made any kit wine or other products...I have to ask...

"What is all this stuff?"
kitSmall.jpg

Why 2 packages of yeast????

Think I have to read this over a bit more before I dive in a screw things up.

*PEACE OFFERING...the neighbor had come over to sample some wines with his friends [they had been into the sauce before arriving] When they left...they backed into a flowerbed, knocked over a planter and proceeded to drive through another flowerbed.
It actually was pretty funny because in the morning I was scolding the dogsuntil I saw the tire tracks....they were in one of those giant 4 wheeler golf cart things. Guess this was his appology...Iwill have to give him a bunch of wine and some liquors....
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

I just started mine so I can't tell you if the charcoal will be easy to use/clean or not. So far, the first couple of steps are pretty easy. I thought at first it was just fermenting water, but is smells different than that, smells nice, and smells like it sets the base flavor tone for the brandy.

The 2 packages of yeast is to ake sure the will get this dry and to 20% abv.

I added the second (and final) batch of sugar water on tues evening. The directions say to let it ferment till it stops, generally in 10 to 14 days.

I plan to check the sg daily in a few more days and if it is still active, I'm adding a touch ore sugar to try to get the ABV up as high as it will go. I have gotten EC-1118 to 21.3% before using 1 pack of yeast. 2 packs should go there easily.

Very interesting, I love Amareto also, NW. Try it over ice with a splash of half'n'half. Let us know how its going. Ramona

Did steps 1-2-3 today....

liquorSmall.jpg

Never fermented just water and sugar before...

Now wait 48 hours to add the extra sugar syrup.

Ramona, the proper use for Amareto is in a Silver Cloud:

In a blender combine:
1 pint French vanilla ice cream
2 shots (1.5 oz each) Amareto
2 shots White Creme de Cacao

Blend until smooth and pour into 2 chilled glasses. Top with sweetened whipped cream (Redi-Whip is fine) and drizzle with Kalhuha.

SWMBO and I have been drinking this on Christmas Eve since I was assembling bikes for our now-adult daughters.

OMG...that sounds soooo goood!!!! Thank You for that one...
smiley31.gif

Guess my gallon of 'cough syrup' might get used 'properly'...

The air locks had really slowed down since last night...kitchen is fairly warm, so figured the fermentation was going pretty fast.

I added the extra sugar syrup and they are bubbling away once again....Moved them to a cooler area and have to wait for the fermentation to stop then go on to the next step...Charcoal...wonder what that's all about...Color??? Flavor???

Charcoal is there to assist with removing impurities created when the yeast push to their limits. High alcohol environments are stressful for them, so they also produce fuesel oils as well. This is the nasty hangover stuff that truly affects us when we drink too much. Charcoal removes a great deal of these.

If you want to get it really clean and make it easier to use charcoal- get a charcoal snake. It is a pice of plastic tube that you attach the regular platic tubing to. You put a special charcoal inside the snake, hook up to your primary bucket with spigot and let it run through. I takes a lot of the nasties out. I don't remember where I got mine a few years ago. It may take a little looking to find one, but they are worth it.

Here is what one looks like:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width="100%">
<TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=650>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =sub_category align=middle>CarbonSnake Filter System</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE id=Table2 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width="60%">
<TABLE id=Table3 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD vAlign=center align=left width="40%">
<TABLE id=Table4 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=3 width=300>
<T>
<TR>
<TD> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<HR width="100%" color=#009900 SIZE=1>
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Product Description:</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>CarbonSnake Filter System: The CarbonSnake is an inexpensive, easy to use carbon purification system which will remove unwanted odors and flavors from fermented alcohol bases (i.e. distiller’s yeast, nutrient blends, SuperYeasts and TurboYeasts) and ethanol distillates (grain or sugar alcohols). Essentially, the unit is composed of a spigot which will fit on any standard bottling bucket, and a hose which is attached to the spigot, filled with 60 grams of Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) and a small coffee filter strainer at the bottom, above the outlet valve. Product flows from the bucket through the filter hose. Each GAC should do at least a 5-6 gallon batch.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle height=15></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width="80%"></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<CENTER></CENTER>Edited by: appleman

A girlfriend makes chocolate truffles for Christmas gifts....I picked up a couple bottles of Liquor Quick for her to make her own liqours...

lqSmall.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these???

Is adding glycerin necessary??? Can we pick that up in a drug store...grocrey store???

Boy..these are sure small bottles...20cc...It sure must be some strong stuff.Edited by: Northern Winos

I have never seen these NW, they are small. Do they come in Chocolate flavor? Might be the answer to your Port question in another thread.

George sells these and the closest 1 to chocolate is Swiss chocolate almond. Look under liquor extracts which is under flavorings &amp; additives on the online catalog.

They are inmany flavors...look on the Fine Vine Wines OnLine catalog.

Guess they would add chocolate flavor to wine...but wonder how much would be enough....?

The kits appeared to have cleared and haven't changed much over the past week...

clearSmall.jpg

So, I racked them to a clean jug and added the charcoal...

charcoalSmall.jpg

So...in48 hours I will rack again and add Bentonite....

NW, did you add the other quart of sugar &amp; Water to your gallon? Your level seems a little lower than mine. After the last rack, I add about 1/2 cup of water to top up, it was still bubbling some so I wasn't worried about the ABV.

Thanks for reminding me to rack mine though............. I forgot....... I added the charcoal 3 days ago.......................

My jug is a 4 liter, so it's not as full as yours, I did add the bottle of syrup at the beginning on the 2nd day or what ever they said. Wish I had a one gallon jug so they were topped off.

This stuff hadn't bubbled in many days, so I think I did it right.

What was your S.G.???

I haven't checked it lately, was 1.026 about a week before I put the Charcoal in. Not really keeping track of it since the direction don't say to. It isn't dry anymore (by taste) but it's not 1.026 either.... I would guess 1.005 to maybe 1.010 before the charcoal. I forgot you were not using gallon jugs.

That's why I like the charcoal snake filter. It will take the alcohol and clean it up nicely without adding that dark gray color to it. It will pass through the filter in just minutes and be cleaned right up and ready to add the finals additives to.

NW: Have you added Package E Yet?????

It says to mix packet with warm/hot water..............

USE VERY HOT......... BOILING WATER!!!!!!!!!!

My water heater is turned up on the very high side........ I like hot showers....

I figured it was hot enough to mix this stuff up, it wasn't.......... It looks like chunks or shavings of plastic, and smells like dried fish..........

I mixed it as well as I could, let it sit for 20 minutes and then added. It looked like it mixed up well till I poured it in........ it immediately turned to lumps (like Gravy).

That was yesterday, today, it is Chrystal clear! so it works, it will just need screening when I rack it.

Back