Jalepeno Pepper Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking of starting another 3 gallon batch of this this year. Instead of using Welches White grape concentrate I was considering getting 3 gallons of Niagra if still available at PI Wine and using that for the base. Cost wise it will be about the same and will likely have more flavor.

Any thoughts?

I think that is a good idea. Welch's is a lower grade Niagara, so if you use it from PI, this should up the flavor pretty good. I need to make another Raspy Raspberry.

Well I was able to get 5 gallons of niagra today. Only problem I only have 12 Jalepeno Peppers. I do have about 12 hot banana peppers though. I'm going to cut everything up tomorrow morning and toss it in a bag with 3 gallons of the juice, I'll make the other 2 regular wine in the even I need to tone down the burn. I don't think that will be a problem. Last batch had 24 Jalepeno and 4 Banana peppers.

Well I was able to get 5 gallons of niagra today. Only problem I only have 12 Jalepeno Peppers. I do have about 12 hot banana peppers though. I'm going to cut everything up tomorrow morning and toss it in a bag with 3 gallons of the juice, I'll make the other 2 regular wine in the even I need to tone down the burn. I don't think that will be a problem. Last batch had 24 Jalepeno and 4 Banana peppers.

Wow, that should be pretty tame. My jalapeno wine is used strictly for cooking and my last batch I used 100 peppers for a 5 gal batch. It sure adds alot to spaghetti and chili! It is also good to marinate some nice steaks in!
I would like to make a tame version for sipping. Let us know how it turns out.

Wow, that should be pretty tame. My jalapeno wine is used strictly for cooking and my last batch I used 100 peppers for a 5 gal batch. It sure adds alot to spaghetti and chili! It is also good to marinate some nice steaks in!
I would like to make a tame version for sipping. Let us know how it turns out.

The 24 Jalepeno and 4 Banana in a 3 gallon batch has a pretty good afterburn. It's not in tolerable but you know it's there. I think I'll go with the 12 Jalepeno and all the banana peppers. It should turn out well. Have to run down for more sugar this am then I'll start chopping peppers.

I pitched the yeast this am around 9:00. It must be starting to work as I can smell the peppers when I walk past the bucket. Smells so good. Might just have to have a glass of last year's with my lunch.

I transferred my pepper wine from primary to carboy yesterday. It had fermented to .992 in a weeks time from 1.090. I was surprised.

Hey Doug,
Would you post the approximate amounts of your ingredients. Think I'm gonna start a small batch and would like to have a starting point. At least if it is something that has worked for you before, will be much better than starting blind. Thank you, Arne.

Arne,

This year I used 3 gallons of Niagra as a base, 12 Jalepeno Peppers and 14 Hot Banana Peppers. I adjusted SG to start at 1.090. Added nutrient and energizer. Yeast this year was lavin 1116. Once finished fermenting and clear, I'll back sweeten with welches white frozen concentrate to about 1.006-1.008.

If you don't have access to fresh juice, use 3 cans of frozen white grape concentrate per gallon and then follow the same from there. In the past when I had enough jalepeno's I used 24 per 3 gallon batch (they were about 2 1/2 - 3 inches long).

It has a real sweet taste when at the front of your mouth then when you swallow, you feel the burn. It's not too bad but bad enough in my opinion. I have never checked for acid and never added any acid to this. The back sweetening with the concentrate seems to do a good job.

Sorry I don't have a real science to this one.

Thanks Doug,
I was just going to throw the jalapinos in and ferment them. Sounds like a better deal to throw some grape juice in with them. Going to try a gallon and see what happens. Arne.

Thanks Doug,
I was just going to throw the jalapinos in and ferment them. Sounds like a better deal to throw some grape juice in with them. Going to try a gallon and see what happens. Arne.

Definately use either grape concentrate or apple juice concentrate as your base. We go 3 cans per gallon. Runningwolf used apple as a base and it was very good. I believe he went 8-10 Jalepenos per gallon.

Hmm, I have 5 gal. of apple that is about ready to be bottled. Could maybe steal a gal. of that and add some peppers to it. Instant jalapino wine. lol, Arne.

After thinkin about it over nite and seeing grapemans old thread in the general forum, think I will ferment the peppers along with a gallon of apple juice. The apple wine I have done is way too good to experment with. Will update or start a new thead as time goes along. Will probably start new, don't mean to hijack your thread, Doug. Arne.

After thinkin about it over nite and seeing grapemans old thread in the general forum, think I will ferment the peppers along with a gallon of apple juice. The apple wine I have done is way too good to experment with. Will update or start a new thead as time goes along. Will probably start new, don't mean to hijack your thread, Doug. Arne.

Hijack away, this is how we all learn from each other. If you search through here you will find the theads from Runningwolf and myself from a year and a half ago, maybe longer.

Arne,

another option is hot peppers and raspberries.

That is why I brought the post forward so you could see what I had done quite a few years ago. Experiment away!

Just be sure you guys wash everything after each use, especially if you are making other wines at the same time, or you will have all your wines with chili flavor :db

I decided it was time to rack and stabilize the pepper wine. I have to say after only minor burns to the inhalation track, all went well. I generally taste everything at each various racking to see how they are progressing. No need to taste this one. I have a feeling it will have a nice after burn. Good thing I have an extra gallon of Niagra wine from the same batch of juice the blend with this if needed.

Latest posts

Back