Im back! Appel!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Ok, guys ive been really busy with college recently but i somehow managed to survive my first semester! So suddenly i realize wooow.. Ive got a lot of free time now lol..

So here is what happens, i got the store to buy a toothbrush from the junkstore and i see that they are selling half gallons of apple juice no preservatives for 1.15$ So i buy all that i can which ends up being 4 gallons worth.

So here i am right now at home boiling 12 lbs of sugar into 1 gallon of water which ive added cinnamon and a few oranges to. And im gona let that reduce down a good bit...

I guess ill shoot for about 1.120 starting gravity and hopefully it wont finish out too dry.

4 gallons of appeljuice
12 lbs of sugar
1 gallon of water to invert sugar in.
few oranges in water
2 tsp yeast energizer
4tsp acid blend
3 tea bags in invert water ( i dont have tanin)

So guys, how does it sound to yall?

6 gallons of appeljuice
5 lbs of sugar
4 gallon of water to invert sugar in.
few oranges in water
3 tsp yeast energizer
2tsp acid blend
:tzand a partridge in a pear tree ( i dont have train)
:db:db

Seth it's good to see you back. Looks like you survived the first semester but had some withdraw symptoms you're taking care of. Glad to have you back on board for the holidays!

Welcome back - hope school went well for ya.

No tannin - how about adding oak or raisins?

That is a pretty high starting SG for apple wine and I would measure out the TA before adding 4tsps.

I would use the Lalvin 71B 1122 - it metabolizes the Malic Acid that apples have.

Very high sg. Use apple jbuice to heat not water you will get better sg

1.150 is the starting gravity. enough for it to be 14. percent if it goes dry. Im gona have to end up using the lee's from my kilju that used lavilin's all purpose yeast thats good for 18 percent.

BTW guys thanks for the welcome back

Last edited:
1.150 is the starting gravity. enough for it to be 14. percent if it goes dry. Im gona have to end up using the lee's from my kilju that used lavilin's all purpose yeast thats good for 18 percent.
Seth:

Hope you're not taking arithmetic at college.

Starting at 1.150, and fermenting dry (let's use 1.000) yields about 20% alcohol.

(1.150 - 1.000) * 133 = .150 * 133 = 19.95%

14% would be starting sg about 1.105

Steve

You will almost surely end up with a sweet wine! What yeast are you using?

My bad, im starting at about 1.105. i suck at mixing numbers sometimes lol.

Im using the lees from a wine that used lavlin k1V-1116 i think. What kinda activity should i be seeing in the pale by now. im not seeing any bubbles or anything like that.

I used to ferment inbetween semesters when I was in college. You will make a lot of friends with a steady supply of good homemade wine. With SG's that are that :d:d:d, I'm not sure if you will make friends faster or slower!

haha yeah, im resisting the urge to make some "side money" but i could see that ending up pretty bad lol. I cant wait till i get an off campus apartment because the University is a "dry" campus lol.

BTW i think its gona be ok, its now developed a head.

Ok, its going on very happily and it seems to be very happy lol.

So if i wanted to add more appel cinamon flavoring to it without changing the ending alcohol level i would just have to add more appel juice boiled with cinnamon sticks that has had its gravity adjusted to what my initial gravity was correct?

id personally just throw some cinnamon sticks in now and then sweeten it to taste after its done fermenting. Just use some maple syrup to sweeten it. Or if you want more apple then take some apple juice in a pot and cook it down to a third of its starting point but try not to do it with too much heat do it over an afternoon rather than 30 min.

True, but ive got like 4 gallons of appel and like 1.6 gallons of water so im kinda afraid ive got not enough appel?

cuz my gravity was way to high and i didn't have any apple juice. but i have since corrected the issue by expanding my batch so its like 90 percent apple juice now and like 10 percent water.

Its in the secondary right now with cinnamon sticks and cloves in it. and im gona do my best not to "sample" untill its done lol

90/10 sounds much better. i only do all apple juice, but i also do mine dry. sounds like you do urs on more of a sweeter side so im sure you will be fine. Hope it comes out good! Yeah its hard not to "Sample" too much!

Ok, its been 3 months and its tasting extremly hot and disturbingly like cloves... I added an apple F pak to it which took it from 1.00 to 1.040 and its tasting some better.. You think that their is still hope for the clove flavour to dissipate some? its 12% abv right now. and it looks like chardonnay

Back