Im back! Appel!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...we're waiting.

crowed_f.jpg

If he didnt make it back on to post how good or bad it was.. I'm guessing the bottles empty :)

Haha, sorry I forgot to post. For being 14% It taste little of alcohol. It is pretty strong on the cloves for my taste, but I have had good reviews from a few of the people who have tried it. However, It is still not the favorite thing that I have made.

Just an update for whomever is still interested. Permanently it is possible to make a wine that is so sucky that age can not help it. My god, it does not taste good at all and yet I do not have the heart to cast this abomination out of my home.

Moral of the story.. Cloves suck!

If you want more apple in it, put in a few concentrates, that will turn the water you used into apple juice, and cheap!

Oh jeez, just realized how old this is, lol. Bet you got that worked out by now..

If you want more apple in it, put in a few concentrates, that will turn the water you used into apple juice, and cheap!

Oh jeez, just realized how old this is, lol. Bet you got that worked out by now..

Yep worked out and completely ruined lol!

Sorry about the cloves. I'll take your word on that and keep it as a solid rule. I do apple more often than any other. Best juice wine for the price IMO. Seriously if you do juice with concentrate added you can have a wonderful table wine that even the skeptic wine snobs around me LOVE and for less than a buck a bottle.

I have done it with oak, with vanilla bean, with blueberry, with honey, with bochet honey, with brown sugar, with piloncillos, with caramelized sugar (most recent experiment) and they were all good. Except for the cyser that I added too much elderflower liquor to. Not a big fan of that one and I still have gallons, lol.

Yeah, apple is actually quite a cheap juice in which you can make some rather good wine or cider with. I had plans to make a cider this fall. .But, I was a little bit too far invested in other wine based expenditures to pursue it too far.

Cider is also really interesting to me, but involves me really stepping out of my comfort level- carbing and stuff... I have plans of getting a keg system together for wine on tap in korney kegs. Maybe after that I can go there- cider in a keg with a bit more CO2 to avoid having to carb bottles.

Yeah, I have actually been thinking of a way that does not involve pasturization, to get a sweet bottle carbed cider....

Or a whole keg! I would like to get away from bottles all together unless I'm taking a bit to someone else. We'll see! Sorry for getting off topic..

Nah, I reckon it was all relevant lol. Good luck with kegging, I like looking at pretty full bottles too much to do that, but I understand it is MUCH easier.

Yeah, I have actually been thinking of a way that does not involve pasturization, to get a sweet bottle carbed cider....

Back sweeten with a non fermentable, then add corn sugar to carb as you would beer? Thats my plan with the batch I have clearing now. Of course there will be sediment as is the case with anything naturally carbed, a non issue for me.

I will be doing this and bottling into ez-cap bottles. Im only 4 weeks in, planning this for the 4th of July.

Chris

In eccense yes, the plan would be to take some wart (wort? wert? wirt?) extracted at a very high temperature to get as many complex sugars as possible... Then ferment it with a very high attenuation yeast strain to remove all the fermentable sugars that we possibly can.

Once that is done we think we would boil the alcoholic complex sugar wert to create a complex hopefully hard to ferment wert syrup. We would then add this syrup to the cider to taste, check to make sure it does not re-ferment and then bottle using simple sugar to carb it with. So I guess technically it would be a graff, but for me it is only a means to an end.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the welcome.

You make it sound a bit overly complex! Or maybe I am just a bit simple...... lol

Could we not just make some Apfelwein? Let it ferment out to .990 or so. Add some non fermetable sugar to taste, ie. splenda? Mix, and let settle for another day or 2... (Sweet is not my thing, so I doubt that I sweeten btw....) Then add your dextrose and bottle to carb it up?

Thanks for the welcome.

You make it sound a bit overly complex! Or maybe I am just a bit simple...... lol

Could we not just make some Apfelwein? Let it ferment out to .990 or so. Add some non fermetable sugar to taste, ie. splenda? Mix, and let settle for another day or 2... (Sweet is not my thing, so I doubt that I sweeten btw....) Then add your dextrose and bottle to carb it up?

I tried that exact method last year and for some reason it took months before it even got a slight carbonation... And it never cleared properly. Not sure if it was the splenda or something else that threw it off... Still have a few bottles and although it tastes good, it never really lived up to my expectations.

Back