How many @ once?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
It is 3 years and a few days that I've been at this hobby and now, for the first time, have two batches of wine fermenting concurrently. What is the most number of batches you've ever had fermenting at one time?

(this text appears merely to get me over the 10 character limit)

I usually do 5 batches of 5 gallon juice bucket wines at once. It's time to slow down perhaps and just do 4 batches.

Ah, I forgot about "binge" wine makers who get a bunch of juice buckets once or twice a year and then go to town. Still 4 batches at once is impressive.

Well I guess I would be in the 6 +

I will make port ,1st pressing and 2nd pressing out of the same type of grapes.

Twelve different kits and recipes going at this moment. Thinkin Im gonna hafta crack a winder or door open, wife says airs thin.

I usually do 5 batches of 5 gallon juice bucket wines at once. It's time to slow down perhaps and just do 4 batches.

I want to do some more blending, so I'm going the juice bucket route this spring. I'm going to do 4 batches, each augmented with 1-2 lugs (18lbs) of grapes. That'll bump up the body and tannins, as well as give me some top up wine.

I used to run a small Ferment on Premises, so I have had about 100 batches on the go at once. I've got enough equipment now to do over six 23 litre batches, but probably wouldn't go over four. Plus a couple of 1-gallon batches. However, I'm not currently making wine.

Steve

At one point, I've had 3 beers, 2 ciders, and a mead started on the same day, but only 1 of each were mine. My friends don't have as much space at their apartments, so typically we do one big brew day for each season. I just started wine, but I'm forcing myself to do 1 at a time- only have two 6 gallon glass carboys and won't buy another unless one breaks. (We'll see how long that idea lasts.)

Problem is that I only have 10 carboys to fill, and I keep one open for beer making. So aging slows the process down, I guess when things get full I make one once an aging carboy opens up. Eventually I will have so much wine that it can age a couple of years before I start messin' with it. Until then I try and keep the pipeline full.

Eventually when my wife gets her nursing degree and makes money hand over fist so I can retire, I'll buy a few of those flex tank thingys and be able to make larger batches. Still trying to get the oldest son into the wine thing, but he rarely even enjoys a good home made beer. If I can convert him I'll have a ready supply of help and can kick things up a notch.

I am only a kitmaker. I only do one active fermentation at a time. My program is to have, say, 2 wines aging, one clearing, and one in either primary or "secondary."

My answer was also pertaining to kits.

I never know if admitting my quantities is a good thing or bad :d lol

There is a lot of overhead associated with making a batch of wine (cleaning sanitizing and other prep work plus the cleanup of dirty equipment after each use). We decided early on that we could do two batches at the same time with only a little more effort than it took to do one. So, we usually start two kits at the same time. It's pretty common for us to have two kits in primaries, 2 in secondary fermentation, 2-4 clearing and 6-12 bulk aging.

Latest posts

Back