Hello!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vino08

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all! I am Mary, from Denver. Just ordered my wine making equipment kit. Have not picked out my first wine selection to try yet.
I am excited to make some and certainly hope it turns out well- I have already told my friends if it doesn't they have to drink bad wine for a while.
smiley4.gif

My favs are cab. s pinot grigio and riesling.

Welcome, Mary! You've found a great place full of mighty fine people who have all kinds of info to share with you.

PG is one of my favorites too!
smiley4.gif

PS...I find that friends get over drinking bad wine because it's free! We'll all help you make good wine!

Edited by: Joan

Welcome to the forums. I would suggest you try the white kits first as they will be drinkable much sooner. But get you a red kit started right after you get a white kit bottled so it can get some age under its belt. I would also suggest a higher end kit for the reds.

Welcome to the forum Mary. Lots of help here and you will always be steered in the right direction.

Hi Mary,

welcome aboard. Enjoy the forums. And enjoy your wine...........

Hi Mary, welcome and hope you stay with us, we are 1 big wine making family who love to help all even if its not referring to wine. Smurf has given you the best advice that anyone can.

Welcome vino08 to a hobby where you can start out small and end up making entirely too much wine to drink! Check out my Post Champlain Valley vineyard under Home Vineyards to see what I'm talking about. I started out like you a few years ago making little 6 gallon batches and even tinkered with some one gallon ones. Now I am picking tons of grapes(literally) and using garbage cans for primaries! I hope to become commercial in the next year. So keep your ambitions in check or you will become like me!
smiley3.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

I checked out your pics. I started first with the old pics, looks like from 2006. Are those the same vines that are in the newest pics? Very nice... I will stick to one batch .
smiley4.gif

vino08 said:
I checked out your pics. I started first with the old pics, looks like from 2006. Are those the same vines that are in the newest pics? Very nice... I will stick to one batch .
smiley4.gif

Yes they are the same vines! Hard to imagine it could get to that point in just three growing seasons! The original 275 vines produces 3750 pounds of grapes this year in their third year! That equates to a gallon per vine average. That is why I sold some of the grapes this year- we can only make 200 gallons per household per year!

Hi Mary,

Good to have you here with us. Pinot Grigio would be a good one for you to start with. My first was a White Zin because I knew that most of the people who would want to try it like the off dry slightly sweeter wines. I received great reviews...they all loved it.
Best wishes in your wine making quest...........Ramona

Thanks Ramona, I actually went ahead with a cab s., just because it is my fav. Just mixed up my batch today so it is sitting in the corner of my kitchen..... waiting.... decided from reading all the posts that my basement would be too cold for the fermentaion part. Had to put oak in it.. looks a little gross at that point.
Mary
smiley1.gif

Back