FreezePruf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just got an email from Orchard Valley. They were highlighting this stuff. Looks like it would protect grapes down to 28 degrees. A quart ($32) makes a gallon which will cover 1000 ft2. Might be something to have on hand for these wild and wacky springtime fronts that seem to be hitting different parts of the country......

Interesting concept for sure!

FreezePruf

So you spray the compound onto the vines to protect them?

Just spray on any foliage you want to protect, no need to spray the actual vine itself so if you just had bud break you could save your crop if it only got down to 28.

Once you spray, how long will that last? I am interested in getting this because I am going to plant some muscadines, yes I know I live in PA, the Carlos and Noble can take weather to 0 degrees and normally we don't get temps below o, yes we did have a lot a couple of years ago but that was a very unusual winter. Plus I am going to take precautions, I'm planting closer to the house and plan on packing moss and/or leaves around the plants for the winter. And yes I know I probably shouldn't try planting a southern vine here but you just don't know what you can do until you do it.

Plus I am going to take precautions, I'm planting closer to the house and plan on packing moss and/or leaves around the plants for the winter.

Julie I don't know anything about planting grapes. I was wondering if you read that some where about packing the mulch around the vines. I know some plants like it and others are hurt by the same thing.

Julie I don't know anything about planting grapes. I was wondering if you read that some where about packing the mulch around the vines. I know some plants like it and others are hurt by the same thing.

LOL, you know I was waiting for grapeman to come on here and yell at me. The way I'm looking at this is God protects fools and drunks, so I'm hoping he helps me out on this (don't go there Dan!!!!! I figure I am more a fool than a drunk where grape growing goes) I do have concord vines but you really don't have a lot you need to do with them except trim them in the spring.

Good luck with the Muscadines Julie! I hope they do well for you there. You will need a real long hot growing season to get them ripe, so do all you can to keep them babies HOT.

I have been know to try to grow things that aren't supposed to grow here. It's fun proving the EXPERATS wrong!

Good luck with the Muscadines Julie! I hope they do well for you there. You will need a real long hot growing season to get them ripe, so do all you can to keep them babies HOT.

I have been know to try to grow things that aren't supposed to grow here. It's fun proving the EXPERATS wrong!
I can see Julie do a strip tease in front of those vines during a deep frost! :p:HB

I can see Julie do a strip tease in front of those vines during a deep frost! :p:HB
Alright, SO WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT?????? :)

Oh Wade, I just don't understand how you get out of the corner!

I have talked to a nursery in Georgia and they think I have a good shot at this, and there is a guy in Pittsburgh who has been growing muscadines in his backyard for a number of years. Yes he is in the city and has buildings that protect his vines but I'm thinking it is worth the shot. And I can keep them HOT, don't you worry about that. :)

It's easy Julie, he stays in a circle. And I thought it would be Dan jumping all over that opportunity! I guess with his Birthday, Wade has graduated to a Dirty Old Man.

Corner, Im not smart enough to find a corner. I took 4 lefts and ended up here again!

Julie, Even in the South where I live, the nuserys recommend that you bank each vine with 6 to 8 inches of soil before winter. I think it will work for you, good luck
Semper Fi

Julie, Even in the South where I live, the nuserys recommend that you bank each vine with 6 to 8 inches of soil before winter. I think it will work for you, good luck
Semper Fi

Thanks Bud. I'll let you know they do.

Latest posts

Back