Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about one of these filters?

It is expensive but I bet I could reuse it a lot. Worth messing with?

The filter is great but you have to have the right filter unit to go with it. For home use you could get the enolmatic filter unit and the filters cost about the same amount. I have been using the same filter for about two years. Take care of it and it'll last.

It appears to be a very good filter - they are similar to the ones we take on Boy Scout trips to filter the water to make it drinkable. Just make sure that it is not a carbon lined filter as that will definitely not be good for a winemaker as it pull alot of the taste away.

Please keep us informed

Is that filter a one use thing? Can they be used for batches a couple days apart? Cleaned, rinsed, sanitised and reused?

I have one coming but I'm not sure how many "uses" they are good for??

Is that filter a one use thing? Can they be used for batches a couple days apart? Cleaned, rinsed, sanitised and reused?

I have one coming but I'm not sure how many "uses" they are good for??

which filter are you referring to ?

My filter for my AIO doesn't look anything like Joes. It looks more like a solid tube but is made from a tightly wrapped cylinder of spun polypropylene. I have reused the same filter many times by rinsing very well after use, then putting into a freezer safe tupperware type container 1/2 filled with sanitizing strength Kmeta solution, shaking it a bit to distribute the kmeta thruout, then freezing. Day before I need to use it I put into fridge to begin thawing process. Sometimes I have to soak container in hot water to finish thawing. Biggest trick is finding a container the correct size to hold the filter. I had to look long and hard for that one, finally found one in a thrift store.

Pam in cinti

I have to agree with Joe on this one. The Super Jet does state that if the filters aren't aligned properly or if they are getting clogged that it will lead to excess leakage or even spraying. I have several different filtering units and try to use the one that most closely matches my needs. The Super Jet does a good job on medium sized filtering needs and the filters work well for 50 to 100 gallons before beginning to leak much (depending on the clarity of the wine).

Sage and Pam
This is only my personal beliefs on filters -
If you do purchase them thru filter fast they are less than 3 dollars a piece. Why take the chance of possibly spoiling a complete batch of wine then ? Do several batches at one sitting - then dispose.
The downfall about freezing is it makes the pore size even larger - as we all know that water expands when frozen.

The proper method would be to keep it in a meta solution while not exposing it to air - but is it worth all that hassle for less than 3 dollars ?

which filter are you referring to ?

I was refering to the whole house as shown in the photos. Just curious because if they were "reuseable", why waste money buying if they're not needed. I did order extra filters when I placed the order. I also found "fast filters" isn't fast ;). Around 2 weeks to get my order so next time I'll order extra extras.....

I was refering to the whole house as shown in the photos. Just curious because if they were "reuseable", why waste money buying if they're not needed. I did order extra filters when I placed the order. I also found "fast filters" isn't fast ;). Around 2 weeks to get my order so next time I'll order extra extras.....

Sage - The one on Joes picture is a ecp5-10 filter for $4.99
the one I recommended in the tips and tricks is the P-5 for $3.65

I am not sure if the ecp5-10 has the hard plastic inserts which was ruining the filter housings - But I still agree what I mentioned in post 29 - unless it is a absolute filter which cost approx 100 dollars and then there are other ways of dealing with that issue.

Last edited:
Filtration

JUST MY OPPION BUT I WOULD NEVER REUSE A FILTER YOU HAVE KNOW IDEA WHAT WAS HARBORED WITHIN AND COULD POSSIBLY BE RE-RELEASED IN THE NEW WINE BEING FILTERED ,THAT'S NOT GOOD WINE MAKING PRACTICES.....AND WE ALL KNOW WERE ALL GOOD WINE MAKERS ON THIS FORUM..RIGHT!:i

Thank you for the referral dralarms. If you hadn't recommended them I wouldn't have purchased such a large amount. I think the regular price might have gone up but there are a couple warehouse overstock at a reduced rate available, and I grabbed one. You all make good sense. And 50 filters will last me a good long time.

Pam in cinto

Thank you for the referral dralarms. If you hadn't recommended them I wouldn't have purchased such a large amount. I think the regular price might have gone up but there are a couple warehouse overstock at a reduced rate available, and I grabbed one. You all make good sense. And 50 filters will last me a good long time.

Pam in cinto

i found them for 71 and 73. Where did you get yours

thx

Latest posts

Back