Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
I recently got an all in one wine pump and love it. I took a the recommendation and got the cartridge filter as recommended. I used it two weeks ago on a batch of mead with a 1 micron filter. After filtering I bottled the mead. It looks nice and clear but I am getting a dusting of sediment on the bottom of the bottles already. I would have thought a 1 micron filter would have removed enough that this wouldn't happen. I filter beer with a 5 micron plate filter and don't get any settlement. Any ideas?

In order to get absolute filtering you need a .50 absolute filter, ain't worth it. Just filter your wine and wait 2 weeks before bottling. I almost always have a light dusting in the bottom of a carboy. Got a Muscadine right now that was filtered twice and checked today and I got a 1/2 inch layer on the bottom.

I have a Buon Vino super jet filter that I have been using for years. I never had any settlement after using it. Maybe I can rig the all in one to suck the wine through the super jet filters.

I agree with Dralarms -

Give it some time - I can point to you where to get .45 micron filters for approx 10 dollars or so. Yes beer will not drop out as fast as wine - remember that you should only filter your wine once it is clear enough to read a newspaper through it. It is designed to polish your wine -

can you give any more details about what you are trying to clear ?

Filtering should only be done on perfectly still and clean wine. Its not meant to pull everything out ' just polish a finished wine. At least home filtering...

I agree with Dralarms -

Give it some time - I can point to you where to get .45 micron filters for approx 10 dollars or so. Yes beer will not drop out as fast as wine - remember that you should only filter your wine once it is clear enough to read a newspaper through it. It is designed to polish your wine -

can you give any more details about what you are trying to clear ?

I like to filter wine right before bottling to avoid settlement.

The wine was clear enough to read a newspaper. Maybe the wine snuck around the filter? Maybe the filter was defective???

There should not be any fall out after filtering with a 1 micron filter or tighter. There is something else going on like tartrates.

There should not be any fall out after filtering with a 1 micron filter or tighter. There is something else going on like tartrates.

I agree with this. I had 2 batches of Bronze Muscadine that were crystal clear, filtered, then a year later tiny dark tartrate crystals even after cold stabilizing out doors in the winter for a month...

I had an issue last year with my filter where it looked like wine could get in and through the housing without ever touching the filter. I couldn't understand why I still had fine sediment in a Torrontes and Chardonnay after running them through a 1 micron filter. I trashed it and bought a replacement. That has worked fine. The sediment was not tartrate crystals. It was very fine and I'd only notice it when I first picked up a bottle that had been on its side for a while. After a little movement, it dispersed throughout the bottle and was barely noticeable. Inspect your housing, particularly the lid.

Got a Muscadine right now that was filtered twice and checked today and I got a 1/2 inch layer on the bottom.

Wow that is amazing, if you got that much sediment after filtering twice I would say it wasn't clear enough to be filtering, surprised it didn't clog the filter up fast.

Wow that is amazing, if you got that much sediment after filtering twice I would say it wasn't clear enough to be filtering, surprised it didn't clog the filter up fast.

The wine was clear prior to filtering but that shouldn't matter. The filter should stop any particle over 1 micron no matter how much of it there is in the wine up until the filter gets clogged enough to stop flow.

The filter lid appears to be fine. If I blow air into the 9" dip tube that I installed it holds pressure when the output is plugged. I am going to go get some thin rubber washers to put on the top and bottom of the cartridge to make sure it is not leaking around the filter cartridge. Will try that out today.

booboo -
please check this link -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/tips-tricks-using-whole-house-filter-37737/

I would not recommend using washers because you will not properly seal the housing. The filters are self sealing - look at an old one and you will see the imprint of the top and bottom of the housing. That is another reason to use new filters every time - and they are very reasonable.

Please check your top and bottom housings for imperfections - like boatboy mentioned

The wine was clear prior to filtering but that shouldn't matter. The filter should stop any particle over 1 micron no matter how much of it there is in the wine up until the filter gets clogged enough to stop flow.

The filter lid appears to be fine. If I blow air into the 9" dip tube that I installed it holds pressure when the output is plugged. I am going to go get some thin rubber washers to put on the top and bottom of the cartridge to make sure it is not leaking around the filter cartridge. Will try that out today.

I agree but I was really referring to dralarms about his muscadine when I posted that. Muscadine is bad about the amount of pulp that you end up with.

booboo -
please check this link -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/tips-tricks-using-whole-house-filter-37737/

I would not recommend using washers because you will not properly seal the housing. The filters are self sealing - look at an old one and you will see the imprint of the top and bottom of the housing. That is another reason to use new filters every time - and they are very reasonable.

Please check your top and bottom housings for imperfections - like boatboy mentioned

I read that post prior to purchasing the filter setup. I followed it exactly including ordering the exact parts and filters from filtersfast.com. I have only used the filter one time so the filter cartridge was new. I can see the imprint on the filters so it does not make since that it is leaking around the filter. I am going to try it again today but am worried I will get the same results.

filtration

funny this came up I just did a short on the mini jet ,I know every one likes the allinonepump but this is my wine making buddy and I also have a all-in-one pump. Follow...............from the tool box..hope you don't mind me jumping in!

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Joe
Yes the buno mini filter does work nice - I had that one and the super jet also.

The main problem is that it does spray all over the place - I see you know that as you already have a towel and a drip pan underneath your unit.

I had to send mine in because the motor seized up after only using for less than a year.

The main thing is patience while making wine - don't filter or bottle till the wine is ready

I have a buno super jet and it does a good job of filtering but it is a pain in the *** to use and does spray wine all over the place. I drape paper towels over the top to contain the spray. The all in one wine pump is way easier and if I can get the filter figured out I will be very happy.

fermentation

well you are correct ,however if you notice the cart that the pump is on is of a basket design cart , not good for doing something's on so the pan supports the pump the towels are for dripping in the bottle arena and mainly to protect my floors, if you followed me you would see I use towels everywhere,to keep the staining down, if you made a lot of wine as I do then you would know you can't be to careful.
over spray is a sign that the compression bolts are not tightened properly or the filter haven't been properly infused before usages and lastly the filters or the plates are not aliened properly. I have had mine for a decade now and haven't had to send mine anywhere. I do have a allinonepump and have never had a need to investigate the operation of it but I have read a lot of good things about it maybe some day I'll fine the need .:ftlastly the last picture that I posted shows the unit in actual operation.:db

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back