Dog Food

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of dog owners here, so I would like to ask what dog food do you give to your dogs? Or do you make you own food and if you do can you post up a recipe? My Boglen Terrior (Boster Terrier/Beagle mix) keeps breaking out in some severe dry spots and constant ear infections, the vet felt that she is having an allergic reaction. And it seems like that is true, I am now giving her Ole Roy Kibbles N Bits, her coat is very shiny and no more ear infections but I believe Ole Roy is not that good of a dog food to give her.

So I am asking for everyone's opinion, what should I give her? I can't give her any Purina or Dad's, those are out. My boxer, who's pic is in my avatar is a freakin tank, she can and will eat anything.

I am thinking the best option is make my own. Any thoughts?

we switched to 4 Health at Tractor Supply after hearing so many others using it. One of our dogs also had an ear infection and both have itchy skin

Julie, Ole Roy is probably one of the worst (quality) dog foods you could buy for your dogs. The first ingredient on the bag is not protein, but corn!

I use the Dog Food Advisor website. Unbiased and constantly being updated as the formulations change over time.

If your fur baby is having allergy problems your choices may be more limited more but you should be able to find something good that doesn't break the bank.

We feed a mixture of Orijen (5 Star rated) and Kirkland Super Premium dry dog food (4 Star rated) They also each get a dollop of Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Food Cuts in Gravy (Turkey with peas and Carrots) (4 Star Rated) as well as a couple of pumps of wild alaskan salmon oil (for dogs).

They may eat better than us (LOL)

Last edited:
When I was in cub scouts, very many years ago, I lived in the little town of Rolla, MO. Bow Wow Dog Food was made at a factory in town. We toured it one time. One of the main ingredients was Captain Crunch. I made a decision soon there after to never feed my did that. We buy our dog food at Costco, no grains, lamb, rice, sweet potatoes and a few other good things. It comes in a green bag. I have no idea what the name is. The dogs have no hot spots or other issues. They do itch some, but nothing major.

The green bag is the Lamb formula

kirkland-dogfood.jpg

The Magenta bag is the Chicken formula. Both are very highly rated on dogfood advisor.

kirkland-recall-11.jpg

Why is Purina out? Not that I know much about it, but Just-a-Dog eats Purina Pro Plan. He seems to like it. That said, he also eats whatever we're eating most nights, including sushi, steaks, pasta of all sorts, fish, etc. And Just-a-Wife goes to the grocery and bribes the meat guys (god only knows what she does) to give her huge bags of cuts from various meats, which Just-a-Dog loves. But mostly, Purina Pro Plan.

I feed my dog raw food and freezdried food such as Stella and Chewy or Steves Real Food or Nature's Variety.

The raw food is actually frozen.

It's the closest thing you can buy that is like what they would eat in the wild.

Last edited:
I don't do Purina cuz that and the Dad seem to be causing her the severe dry spots and ear infections.

Dan, I never thought of Tractor Supply!

Mike thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes I know how bad Ole Roy is, that is why I decided to make this post.

Codeman, I need to look into that, I never thought of raw food.

Tractor Supply out sells all pet stores in pet food. Look at the foot print taken up in the store for just dog/cat food. They just opened two pet stores in Georgia as a trial.

Had a black lab/german shorthair mix that lived to 16(had to put him down 2yrs. ago). He started on Purina puppy chow and then went to Purina dog chow. He never had any health problems and loved the food.

We feed ours Iams. It's what our breeder had the Shepard on and I believe the first 3 ingrediant are meats not grains. I'll have to check it's rating on Dog Food Advisor.

MY dog doesn't do well with Chicken in his dog food. I've had this with another dog as well so I stay away from any chicken/chicken bi-products. I also stay away from grain in it. All of these are needed filler. I shop at Costco and use Kirkland Signature Beef Meal and Sweet Potato. Works well for me.

I was using Nature's Recipe Venison Meal and Rice that did awesome and he loved it but got too expensive.

http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

http://naturesrecipe.com/dog-food/healthy-skin/venison-meal-and-rice-recipe/

Last edited:
I fed my lab Ole Roy regular and she never had any health problems and always had a clean and shiny coat.

Guys, I have cats but have been reading this forum since we are looking to change foods. I googled Kirkland and got a web page that terrified me. It appears to be legit, and folks are saying that after using kirkland for years the latest purchased bags are making pets very sick and some are dying. Again, the site looks legit to me but please realize I am no expert.

www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/kirkland_pet_food.html

I'm checking out tractor supply next.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back