degassing and filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
I am having problems degassing my wine .It seems that no matter how much I flog it I still have a gassy wine. Will filtering it get the gass out?

Im not that experienced but have you tried using a pump? If you have a "Food Saver", brake line bleeder or any other small cfm pump you can degass that way.

as also has been mentioned before, the temperature your wine is at when you degas also plays a factor in the removal....colder temperatures have a tendency to hold c02 easier, and thereby making it harder to degas....it is suggested to bring your wine up to a temp of about 75 degrees in order to make degassing easier....

I am having problems degassing my wine .It seems that no matter how much I flog it I still have a gassy wine. Will filtering it get the gass out?
I agree 100% with g8keeper. Temperature is the most important thing.

For the record, how have you been flogging the wine, and what was the temperature of the wine?

I think that stirring back-and-forth (or side-to-side) is more effective than round-and-round.

I know that some folks think filtering helps with degassing, but I'm not one of them. It may get rid of a bit of gas, but I don't think filtering will fully degas a wine.

Steve

I agree with Steve. I haven't seen much difference between vacuum racking and vacuum racking with a filter in the line.

My wine area is pretty steady @68-70F. I've used a brew belt to raise temp when degassing and sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm still convinced that higher tds wine degas more readily. I'm also convinced that fermenting at cooler temps helps create the gassy wine to begin with.

I do most of my fermenting at ambient temp. I'm going to try a few a bit warmer and see what happens with CO2.

thanks. The temp is usually around 72 or 74f. mabey a brewbelt will help. I have a Gomco pump that will draw about 17mmhg negative pressure I have tried degassing with it before,but didnt see to many bubbles.

thanks. The temp is usually around 72 or 74f. mabey a brewbelt will help.
If the wine was in that temperature range, I don't think that the brew belt would help much.

Just to confirm...72-74F is temp of the wine, not just the air temp.

Steve

In addition to the above, especially if you are doing kits, don't hurry the wine making process.

how would one hurry the wine making process? I follow directions and pitch the yeast.It is up to them after that.

Back