Filtering solids

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winechef

Reaction score
I've had a few batches of wine that have excess solids, after primary fermentation besides mesh bag, what's an effective and efficient way of getting more wine out of the solids left behind. I have 500 liter batches.

I. could get a pump and filter, or mesh bag in large grape press. or just hang mesh bag and let drain over time

If the wine is not clear, you'll just plug a filter. Filtering is only for polishing.

I assume we're talking about pomace, not lees? Draining in a mesh bag with net some wine, but for pomace, the best method is a press. Last fall I added the moderately pressed pomace from two 8 lug batches to a pair of 23 liter kits. After pressing hard, I netted 9 and 8 gallons of wine, respectively, meaning that the pomaces had 3 and 2 gallons, respectively, of wine left in them after a moderate pressing.

Basket presses are more reasonable in price than the bladder presses. If you don't have the availability of either, folks make presses from various things. You'll need to search for home build wine presses.

Last edited:
Back