Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sarah, the carboys will have their own table. The awesome shelving was there when we bought our home. That will save me a lot of work.

jtstar, I'm working on it. Weeping Willow Wines has one part-time and one full-time employee, both of whom work for wine.

Under construction

I have been very busy in the Lab over the past week. A testiment to my obsessive personality is that I spent a beautiful sunny day yesterday in my basement, working on the Lab.

First I pulled up some carpet and put down some cheap peal and stick tiles ($36 for four boxes at Ollie's---Good Stuff Cheap!). Easier to keep the floor clean.
100_0469.jpg

As it turned out, the shelving against the walls is not very strong. The rear of the table required extra support. I will also have to beef them up for holding masses of finished wine as well.

I framed out the table with 4x4 legs and lots of support for the heavy carboys.
100_0471.jpg

100_0472.jpg

Three quarter inch hardwood plywood on top.
100_0480.jpg

100_0475.jpg

100_0478.jpg

I think I'll add a layer of linoleum on top (for easy cleaning) and some wood trim around the top. But it is functioning as we post. My carboys have a new home! :try

Wow! To have that much room and AL-L-L-L-L that storage space!
My whole work area is not as big as the sq feet of your table tops.
All my storage is in one of the basement bedrooms.
Terrific job.

Last edited:
A couple of hydrometers. You're going to break one as it's a sacrifice to the wine gods. A refractometer is nice to have as well.

The tile got it's first workout tonight when a tube can lose during racking. Easy clean-up!

Nice job, Dave. LOts of room to do everything.
I see you have your carboy handles between the two ribs; I would suggest moving them to below the bottom rib since it is a little stronger there and also if you need to use an orange carboy cap, the handle won't be in the way.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for bottled wine storage!

Last edited:
Nice job, Dave. LOts of room to do everything.
I see you have your carboy handles between the two ribs; I would suggest moving them to below the bottom rib since it is a little stronger there and also if you need to use an orange carboy cap, the handle won't be in the way.

Thanks, Dugger. That's a good bit of advice.

Good catch! I actually had one slip off on me once that was it that spot. I came real close to losing a full carboy! :<

Danger I wouldn't cover up that nice hardwood I'd put a good coat or 2 of shellac or good clear poly sealer on it and maybe just add a good edging on it.

I was thinking about that, too, Sirs. I was wondering about the fumes from the poly getting into the wine, though. I suppose I could move them elsewhere while it dries, but I don't know...

:u The height of production! Danger's Lab is busy this winter! :u

Currrently bulk aging and/or clearing...we have the Seven Brothers...from left to right...Triple-Berry-Lemon (Skeeter Pee), Strawberry, Peach/Mango, Green Apple Riesling, Shiraz w/ Raisins, Concord/Elderberry, & Raspberry White Zinfandel. :pic

100_0584.jpg

Now, I just need Seven Brides...:h

I'm running out of table space, Steve. I know, I shouldn't complain. My next project is going to be a Carboy Caddy that will roll under my table (there is just enough room) and hold 4-5 full carboys for bulk aging out of sight...& out of the minds of friends and family. The Keep Out sign has not worked yet! Do you think it could be broken?

Dave I use those four wheel dollies from Harbor Freight. You can pick them up on sale for arounf 12-14 dollars. I just add a few boards or heavy plywood. I can put 3-4 carboys on each one.

furniture dollie.jpg

Dave I use those four wheel dollies from Harbor Freight. You can pick them up on sale for arounf 12-14 dollars. I just add a few boards or heavy plywood. I can put 3-4 carboys on each one.

THAT, IS JUST WHAT I NEED FOR MY STORAGE AREA!!!!!!! :h

Latest posts

Back