Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking I'd like to try the Easy Peesy. I have a few questions though. Step 1 calls for yeast energizer and step 2 calls for yeast starter. Is there a difference? I was thinking Go-Ferm. Where can I buy Sparkolloid?

Thanks!

Jim

Yeast energizer & yeast nutrient are additives - chemical compounds you add to the wine to provide nutrients..

A yeast starter is a series of steps that replaces sprinkling the yeast on top of your must & waiting for fermentation to start.. I start mine in empty 2-liter bottles..

Add some warm water, add the yeast - give it 15 minutes to activate/get lively.. Then stir/swirl the yeast into the water.
I, then add about a pint of the must from my batch, and every 2-3 hours afterwards, i add another pint of the must - this adds a sugar source to the yeast, in steps as its dilluted by the water in the container (moreso at first, becoming negligible by the time its full).

You're basically baby'ing the yeast along until they're big-enough to handle the whole batch. Then "pitch the yeast starter" into the must itself - and off you roll. For me, it all takes about 12 hours.. But theres a sense of security in the fact that i know fermentation has started - i dont have to wonder. Usually go to sleep after pitching the starter, then by the time i wake up the fermentation has a nice cap on it ready to be pushed down.

Thinking I'd like to try the Easy Peesy. I have a few questions though. Step 1 calls for yeast energizer and step 2 calls for yeast starter. Is there a difference? I was thinking Go-Ferm. Where can I buy Sparkolloid?

Thanks!

Jim

Manley covered it pretty well, Jim. Sparkolloid is the clearing agent I use. You can use another if you have one on hand. Otherwise, you can get some at your local HBS store or order a bag on the net. Depending on your production rate, a one pound bag may last for years.

Manley covered it pretty well, Jim. Sparkolloid is the clearing agent I use. You can use another if you have one on hand. Otherwise, you can get some at your local HBS store or order a bag on the net. Depending on your production rate, a one pound bag may last for years.

...or you can use time as your clearing agent... :h ... available on your calendar for free... :D

Of course, Jim. Didn't mean to leave out Father Time.

Yesterday, I got started on my carboy cart. I was going to build a frame to surround them, but once I got the base put together, I realized it did not need to be any more sophisticated. This will eventually hold six of my "aging" carboys of wine, out of the way, under my table. 3/4 " plywood and heavy casters will do a great job of bearing the weight. The materials (minus the casters and handles) were left over from building the table.

100_0671.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great! I have to build a "furniture" version of something like that to put in a spare room I want to convert for carboy storage. Yours gives me ideas.

Tbl

Here is the triple batch of TBL (Triple Berry Lemon Skeeter Pee) I started last month. This is the 15 gallons I made in my 32 gallon can. Yesterday was sweetening day. :>

This is before the first racking (from the carboy). By using the mesh fruit bags in the primary, I have reduced the lees. You can see (sort of) the white layer at the bottom of the carboy...

100_0690.jpg

After carefully racking off the lees, I get nice clear wine...

100_0692.jpg

After stirring in four cups of sugar (my taste!), the wine is still very clear. This is day 20 on this batch. I love Sparkolloid!!! It will sit for at least another week (maybe two) then bottle.

100_0691.jpg

BAM! Seventy-five bottles of Triple Berry love! I'm set for summer!...mostly...:D

That looks awesome. Pitched the yeast in mine yesterday morning and can't wait to try it.

I notice you have a lot of headspace in the carboy. Is that an issue with SP, or do you transfer into something smaller after adding the Sparkolloid?

I had the wine in three five gallon carboys, filled to the top. I racked to the six gallon carboy to add sugar and stir it in. I then racked back to the cleaned five gallon carboy and topped off with existing wine. Sorry, I should have thought soemone would ask about that. I always keep my batches topped up.

Dave, I really like your carboy cart. Is the 3/4" bottom dadoed into the 2 by's or face attached on the bottom? Glued and screwed? Good call to make it 2 x 3 for holding carboys. Much more stable.

The bottom is screwed directly to the 2x4 frame. No dadoes. I added the divider down the middle with simple triangle 2x4 supports, glued in place, to keep the carboys separated. If it would help, I'll get a better picture for you tomorrow, when I get home. It's a very simple design.

Well, it looks like I'm going to be making another 15 gallon batch of the triple berry lemon (has been renamed to Dragon Blood---by my best friend). The masses love it, and it's also the Winemaker's choice.
:dg
I also have several cheap wine kits coming. Thanks goodness my lovely wife does not require expensive wine! She really likes the low-end sweet wines ("Mists"). That leaves me to concentrate on other wines. I can crank out gallons of Dragon Blood and the three kits I have coming and have prenty of cheap chuggable vino for my unsophisticated friends by the end of next month, just in time for our annual 4th of July celebration. This will be the first year for this gathering with me making wine. I'm sure it will be a hoot.
:se
Keeps your eyes peeled! Soon, I'm going to be bottling my two reds: Concord-Elderberry and the Shiraz with Raisins. The tasting has been delightful. These are going to be epic (for me) wines. I think I am going to go ahead and bottle them up, so I can at least have a tasting in July (with the more sophisticated bunch), and get some feedback.
:hug
Next, I think I might put in a couple of high-end kits so they will be on schedule for next year.
:?
Hey! Did I just say that? Wow! I am getting more patient with this hooby! I actually have several carboys with six month old wine still in them!

Last week, I bottled my Frog Prince Shiraz (with raisins) and the Way Out West Concord/Elderberry. Here they are before the famous Willow...

100_0705.jpg

Today, I bottled the beautiful Blue Macaw Sweet Tropical Port. It's the color of golden mead!

100_0703.jpg

000_0001.jpg

I'm out of the lab until next week. Enjoy!

Very nice looking wine, bottles and labels. Nice work with the light in the port photo. It all looks great!

:try

That tropical port is gorgeous!

Is that wax on the top of the bottles by the Willow tree?

Hey Danger
Next time your in Concord let me know that is where I Live and I didn't see you there and I also make elderberry wine. Great looking wine you have there

Last week, I bottled my Frog Prince Shiraz (with raisins) and the Way Out West Concord/Elderberry. Here they are before the famous Willow...

100_0705.jpg

Today, I bottled the beautiful Blue Macaw Sweet Tropical Port. It's the color of golden mead!

100_0703.jpg

000_0001.jpg

I'm out of the lab until next week. Enjoy!

Hey Danger
Next time your in Concord let me know that is where I Live and I didn't see you there and I also make elderberry wine. Great looking wine you have there

:h I used concord grapes (as an f-pack in the elderberry wine), grown in Ohio by a friend of mine. I've never been to Concord, Nebraska...:D

Latest posts

Back