Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run over to Athens to the Athens do it yourself shop & tell the guy what your doing. He'll sell you everything you need to start(very reasonable).

Plus give you lots of advice & may even let you taste some of his wine.

He told me once there are two kind of wine makers, the scientists & the artists. He laughs & calls me the scientist, which most on this site would fall under the scientist title I think. So, knowing he's the "artist" I usually come back to this site & do a little research on what he says - to put it into my scientist state of mind. But for starting out, he was great to talk to.

Brian

I don't know Dave that workspace does not look "dangerous" in the least! You need to mess it up a bit and pile some heavy full carboys on an old card table or something! :n

Don't forget a couple of extra large bottles of "winemakers patience"
you will need this for aging your wines.

Run over to Athens to the Athens do it yourself shop & tell the guy what your doing. He'll sell you everything you need to start(very reasonable).

Plus give you lots of advice & may even let you taste some of his wine.

He told me once there are two kind of wine makers, the scientists & the artists. He laughs & calls me the scientist, which most on this site would fall under the scientist title I think. So, knowing he's the "artist" I usually come back to this site & do a little research on what he says - to put it into my scientist state of mind. But for starting out, he was great to talk to.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. I'll have to go check him out. :b

I ordered all the rest of my equipment and suppies from George at FVW. I even got a couple of more carboys for new batches. I can see that I am going to need more carboys. Well, jugs and carboys of various sizes.

I'm working on my patience, Alan.

Last edited:
:u

Ever expanding...The Lab!

securedownload.jpg

Did you take that picture today? Is that pee still not clear??? Come on man, hurry up, I want to taste that stuff!!!

LOL. Brian

Ok, noobie mistake. I did not upgrade to the floor corker. I'll be doing some by hand until I get tired of it, then the floor corker. Doh!

Made some wine last night...from humble beginnings...

HumbleBeginnings.jpg

I've been using the hand corker since I started several months ago, but I have asked Santa to bring my a floor corker for Christmas. :D

I stopped by my local Olive Garden Restaurant and talked to the weekend manager---my new friend---Brian. He says they throw out their empty wine bottles. Said he would be happy to save them form me. Check back on Mondays for pick-up.

Blam! Free bottles forever! :)

If they use the same wine there that they do here, many of those wine bottles will be the larger pear shaped bottles. They make nice bottles for gift giving, but they sure won't fit into a wine rack.

If they use the same wine there that they do here, many of those wine bottles will be the larger pear shaped bottles. They make nice bottles for gift giving, but they sure won't fit into a wine rack.

Yep, they are Burgandy bottles, which are a little larger in diameter.

Well, the boneheads at Olive Garden are yet to save me any bottles, inspite of several phone calls and personal visits. It's about time to buy some bottles...:slp

Well, the boneheads at Olive Garden are yet to save me any bottles, inspite of several phone calls and personal visits. It's about time to buy some bottles...:slp

Don't feel bad. I have a daughter in law who is a manager at a Red Robin restaurant and has promised to save me bottles. I haven't seen one yet. :slp

They do forget very easily. I've reminded one guy at a nearby Italian restaurant, and after the first haul of a couple of cases of bottles, I haven't seen any more. I guess it's more trouble to dump them in a box then to dump them in the trash can. :gb

I've been using the hand corker since I started several months ago, but I have asked Santa to bring my a floor corker for Christmas. :D

I used a floor corker for the first time (after using the double lever for ten months), All I can say is that I wish I had gotten it ten months ago!

I've got a few special days coming up. 11 year anniversary this month, Birthday and Christmas in December. I can definitely see one in my very near future or I can get my wife to cork a batch and she'll probably order one the next day! ;)

Expanding

The lab keeps expanding. My wife is leaving for a month in Arizona. I've got plans....Moohahahahahaha!

100_0463.jpg

I'm about to expand...BIG TIME!

I need a better work space...

100_0458.jpg

Looks organized already!!!! I'm jealous of all the shelves! But where are the carboys going?:h

Latest posts

Back