Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
In case you haven't been paying attention, I'm so new to winemaking that I don't even have any equipment, yet. That comes in tomorrow, along with my first kit. However, if I am going to make some wine from scratch, I'm going to need all the necessary additives (sold seperately---lol).

There seems to be a lot of different yeasts, and I have no clue about the differences. I need nutrients and energizers and clarifiers and two men with a duck, right? <scratch that last one>

Can someone offer me a comprehensive list of ingredients to stock my Lab, so when I'm ready, I can make some wine from scratch...once I learn how to make wine, that is. :)

In this thread, I will also show how I am building my Lab out of half of my laundry room (with the wife's joyful cooperation). Since reading about a few trageties (Julie's especially), I have plans for a very sturdy six carboy table, attached to the wall, so that I can keep my batches in order, and prevent any painful losses. Those pictures of 40-odd gallons of wine on that basement floor just made me want to weep!

I have no good place in my house to make my wine except the basement (which will be great for storing the bottled product later as it stays bwt 65-70F all year round). To keep my carboys up to temp, I'm going to wall off some room downstairs (an 8'x16' space) and insulate so I can better control the temp inside my new Lab. My water heater will be closed up inside this new room, so as to help keep the space warm. I have a thermostatically controlled ceramic heater that should keep my Lab at the appropriate temp for fermenting...after I start my first batch.

After I start my Blackberry Merlot kit and get it going, I'm going to make some Skeeter Pee (my version will be called Yellow Rain). :rn

I can't wait to get started!

Dave

Last edited:
Go here:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp

Scroll down to "Prelude" and read the entire site.

Check out the recipes for the scratch wines you're considering. The common additives will be obvious after a few.

NOTE: Before you follow one of Jack's recipes, it is common for people to find Jack's recipes make low flavor, high alcohol wines. It is often recommended that you use more fruit and less sugar.

Post here before you start a specific batch you're planning and folks will share their insights and opinions of the recipe you're considering.

I agree with Bob - more fruit less sugar - but post here before starting - folks here can help you tweak it.

Some items off the top of my head:

Additives:
K-Meta
Sorbate
Pectic
Yeast Nutrient & Energizer
Wine Tanin (if needed - depends on what you are making)
Fining Agent (I like Super Kleer)
Acid Blend or Tartaric Acid
Yeast

Equipment:
Acid Test Kit
Hydrometer
Primary Fermentor
Secondary Fermentor (Generally a carboy - I like to have an extra for racking)
Racking Tube
Siphon Tubing
Airlock
Carboy Brush
Paddle/Spoon for stirring
Corks
Bottles
Corker (hand or floor - but for the few extra bucks - floor corker is the way to go)
Carboy Cap
Fermentation Bag

I am sure there is more - but that is just some things i could ramble off the top of my head.

PH meter
S02 tester
Those are bigger price items but youll need them soon.

I have an equiment kit coming tomorrow from George at FVW. That should give me most of what I need to get my first batch going (tomorrow night!). I want to make a batch of Skeeter Pee right after, so I'll need my own chems. Thanks, all, for helping out.

I am taking lots and lots of notes!

I agree with Bob - more fruit less sugar - but post here before starting - folks here can help you tweak it.

Some items off the top of my head:

Additives:
K-Meta
Sorbate
Pectic
Yeast Nutrient & Energizer
Wine Tanin (if needed - depends on what you are making)
Fining Agent (I like Super Kleer)
Acid Blend or Tartaric Acid
Yeast

Equipment:
Acid Test Kit
Hydrometer
Primary Fermentor
Secondary Fermentor (Generally a carboy - I like to have an extra for racking)
Racking Tube
Siphon Tubing
Airlock
Carboy Brush
Paddle/Spoon for stirring
Corks
Bottles
Corker (hand or floor - but for the few extra bucks - floor corker is the way to go)
Carboy Cap
Fermentation Bag

I am sure there is more - but that is just some things i could ramble off the top of my head.

All this plus and auto siphon and a drill mounted carboy cleaner
oh and a cheap spray bottle for your k-meta for easy sanitizing!

I have an equiment kit coming tomorrow from George at FVW.

I hope you upgraded kit to floor corker.
Also I have applied stick on thermometers to each fermenter and carboy.
You will also want a spray bottle for sanitizer.

Ok, noobie mistake. I did not upgrade to the floor corker. I'll be doing some by hand until I get tired of it, then the floor corker. Doh!

Made some wine last night...from humble beginnings...

HumbleBeginnings.jpg

I stopped by my local Olive Garden Restaurant and talked to the weekend manager---my new friend---Brian. He says they throw out their empty wine bottles. Said he would be happy to save them form me. Check back on Mondays for pick-up.

Blam! Free bottles forever! :)

I stopped by my local Olive Garden . . . Blam! Free bottles forever! :)

Poor Brian, you'll curse him after washing and delabeling cases and cases of bottles. Winemaking is such a slippery slope, you are well on your way. :)

Poor Brian, you'll curse him after washing and delabeling cases and cases of bottles. Winemaking is such a slippery slope, you are well on your way. :)

...downslope, that is! :)

Delabelling and washing will give me something to do besides watch my wine ferment. :pee

...downslope, that is! :)

Delabelling and washing will give me something to do besides watch my wine ferment. :pee

You say that now because you haven't washed as many as many of us have...

I used to have the same complaint about needing bottles... now I have all the bottles I can shake a stick at... piling up and waiting to be cleaned in my basement... And they still don't match :)

I agree Daisy. I have about 60 cases washed and ready to go. A local winery just called me last week asking if I needed any more. I had to turn him down.

We are hilarious, I want bottles, cleaning bottles is fun, I only want this shape bottle, I only want bottles with easily removed labels, I have enough bottles, where in the H*ll am I going to store all these bottles, I wish I had enough money to buy wine to fill all these bottles.:ot:

I second that one! I have 30 picked out for my next batch and they have been sitting there for 3 days now. Somehow I don't think they are going to clean themselves.....

Back