DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bottled our DB yesterday and, of course, we had a short bottle. My wife and daughters and I tasted the short bottle. Daughters had lots of good things to say, said it might be a little sweet, but my lovely bride used the two most dreaded words: "cough syrup".

As for me, over the short time that has passed after back-sweetening till yesterday, the flavor has improved. The fruitiness has come forward and it seems more tart than before. I can taste the distinct flavors of the lemon, sugar and the fruit. I'm guessing that time will help blend the flavors. @willie you were right...you said two to three months, but the flavor has already improved in just a week.
well it was in bottle shock, and my country wines i do a fsg or backsweeten to 1.040, or you can drop it a little next time, 1.030. or 1.020,, after getting on this thread after many years today i read the DDDB recipe, and I got a blackberry/elderberry that will go into buk aging last of next week, and starting a strawberry, but have decided that before my tart cherry i will do a 12 gallon batch of DDDB, now see what yawl have done, you ventors are bad influences on me and have lead me astray, Thank yawl for that ,, lol
Dawg

Shortly after I started making DB, I tried various other yeasts I had on hand, including K1. Now, I’m not going to be much help here as I discovered I like how it comes out with EC-1118. As, I recall from my notes, the K1 batch I made was lighter in color, smoother in flavor, less acidic. However, I like my DB tart, fresh, and over ice. 😉

I recently took a bottle of blackberry wine made from Vintners Blackberry Fruit Base that was back-sweetened to 1.02 and aged for 8 months and mixed it with a a bottle of Skeeter Pee that was also back-sweetened to 1.02. The results were outstanding.

I'm certain I'm not the only person to do this but wanted to mentioned it because of how good it came out.

I am a BIG fan of SP, but what an easy way to make Dragon Blood and just thought I'd pass it along.

Last edited:
I recently took a bottle of blackberry wine made from Vintners Blackberry Fruit Base that was back-sweetened to 1.02 and aged for 8 months and mixed it with a a bottle of Skeeter Pee that was also back-sweetened to 1.02. The results were outstanding.

I'm certain I'm not the only person to do this but wanted to mentioned it because of how good it came out.

I am a BIG fan of SP, but what an easy way to make Dragon Blood and just though I'd pass it along.

thats a snappy suggestion, to get mine in line of process I'm ordering from homewinery.con ,,, 3# concentrates,, 1# black raspberry, 1#blackberry and 1#blueberry, i already got several lemon juice concentrates, these will let me test a small batch of 13 gallons,, i've heard of this for years, and procasternated for years, now unless i end up in a ditch, floating in water or stuffed into a garbage bin, i'll put these in the freezer, this last couple years i have all but abandoned my fresh fruit, elderberry, apple and pear i still do beings they are right at the house,, you said your a big fan of skeeter pee,, i am as well, but i port mine, most of my skeeter pee goes to my aunt, latter stage cancer, all the med's she can get still don't allow her to sleep, so at bedtime she drinks one coffee cup full of skeeter pee port and sleeps straight through, i can drop her off a couple cases and it lasts her forever, of all my mom's 8 sisters she has always been the nicest person you could ever wish to meet, no matter who you were,
Dawg,,,

Use whatever # per gallon suits your fancy. I don’t like adding water to the fruit at all, and make mine with no water added.
John, can you provide more information about the amount of fruit you would use for a 6 gallon batch? I recently started a batch with 16 pounds of fruit and added 4.5 gallons of water. This got me to the 7 gallon mark. Of course, this will be reduced once I pull the skins and press them. Ultimately, I'd like to make a batch without adding any water. My six gallon carboys are never filled to the brim with 6 gallons of wine. It ALWAYS takes more...

John, can you provide more information about the amount of fruit you would use for a 6 gallon batch? I recently started a batch with 16 pounds of fruit and added 4.5 gallons of water. This got me to the 7 gallon mark. Of course, this will be reduced once I pull the skins and press them. Ultimately, I'd like to make a batch without adding any water. My six gallon carboys are never filled to the brim with 6 gallons of wine. It ALWAYS takes more...

My most recent batch was waterless, or very close to it, I’ll have to dig to find my notes to see what I did. Might have posted about it in this thread, I’ll look around til I find it and let you know.

Here it is: DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

thats a snappy suggestion, to get mine in line of process I'm ordering from homewinery.con ,,, 3# concentrates,, 1# black raspberry, 1#blackberry and 1#blueberry, i already got several lemon juice concentrates, these will let me test a small batch of 13 gallons,, i've heard of this for years, and procasternated for years, now unless i end up in a ditch, floating in water or stuffed into a garbage bin, i'll put these in the freezer, this last couple years i have all but abandoned my fresh fruit, elderberry, apple and pear i still do beings they are right at the house,, you said your a big fan of skeeter pee,, i am as well, but i port mine, most of my skeeter pee goes to my aunt, latter stage cancer, all the med's she can get still don't allow her to sleep, so at bedtime she drinks one coffee cup full of skeeter pee port and sleeps straight through, i can drop her off a couple cases and it lasts her forever, of all my mom's 8 sisters she has always been the nicest person you could ever wish to meet, no matter who you were,
Dawg,,,
Prayers for your beloved aunt

I did a little search and found @dangerdave did a side-by-side comparison with DB and altered only the yeast...EC-1118 v. 71B-1122. Interesting reading, makes me want to stick with the EC-1118. Just wondering whether anyone's ever done a side-by-side using D47.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/yeast-comparison-ec-1118-vs-71b-1122.39619/
i used to use D-47, finally i just dropped back to EC-1118 & K1V-1116, so for a few years now, that's all i keep & use, ,,, let e clarify i only make country wines, therefore i do no attempt certain levels as those that make traditional style wines,,, i have tried every yeast i could find world wide, but as a fruit or berry country wine maker, i am beyond happy with EC-1118 & K1V-1116
Dawg

Last edited:
I did a little search and found @dangerdave did a side-by-side comparison with DB and altered only the yeast...EC-1118 v. 71B-1122. Interesting reading, makes me want to stick with the EC-1118. Just wondering whether anyone's ever done a side-by-side using D47.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/yeast-comparison-ec-1118-vs-71b-1122.39619/

Thanks for posting the link to dangerdaves old post. It is very interesting and very well done, my hat's off to you Dave. I make a lot of SP and always use the 1118 because not only is it bullet proof, but the finish product is always consistent and outstanding.

I've read so many posts about members having a problem with fermentation when making SP or DB . I never, ever have a problem using the 1118 and keeping the temp between 75 and 80 degrees.

It just shows how much difference in the yeast plays in taste and color. I am glad as a winemaker- I can make those choices today. I found that 71B-1112 takes alot of the acid out during fermentation - good for those High acid wines - unless you prefer it that way.

Sorry about your loss - Rich

Well, I discussed it with the CEO (my lovely bride) last night over dinner and my next round of DB will be very close to the original recipe, just upping the fruit a bit and dropping the back-sweetening down from 2/3 cup per gallon. I will also be sticking with EC-1118. I considered using 71B, but after reviewing the side-by-side comparison @dangerdave did, I think I'll be better off with EC-1118. @hounddawg ... please do share details on your batch if you're able. I would love to hear more about your approach.

Well, I discussed it with the CEO (my lovely bride) last night over dinner and my next round of DB will be very close to the original recipe, just upping the fruit a bit and dropping the back-sweetening down from 2/3 cup per gallon. I will also be sticking with EC-1118. I considered using 71B, but after reviewing the side-by-side comparison @dangerdave did, I think I'll be better off with EC-1118. @hounddawg ... please do share details on your batch if you're able. I would love to hear more about your approach.
will do my large fernmenter will be empty today,30 gal,, so within two days i should start, i have 13 -6's to rack, in the next two days first
Dawg

I've made a couple of batches of Dragons Blood and must say I love this stuff. Looking to try a different version I picked up 3 packs (12#) of mixed fruit (Pineapples / strawberry / peaches /mangos.) I thought I had read it was recommended to double the fruit if going with something different. This is still very new to me so I was curious if I should make any other changes to the recipe before starting this batch. I am very curious as to why the changes should be made (if any) so I will understand what to do in the future with other versions.
Thanks to DD and everyone for all the info I'm attempting to sort thru in this thread.

Started my second batch of DDDB today with a few tweaks... Essentially, I doubled the berries and will only back sweeten with 1/4 cup of sugar (to taste) per gallon instead of the 1/2 cup per gallon in my first edition.

Here’s my notes so far:

Danger Dave’s Dragon Blood, started 4/24/2020 with 64oz of lemon juice concentrate (Kroger), 16 pounds of triple berry from Fred Meyer, 24 cups of sugar, 3 tsp of tannin, 1 tsp pectin, 1 tsp of yeast energizer, mixed all together in a 5 gallon brew pot while thawing and cold soaking. Tomorrow I’ll add water to mix 7 gallons of must so the finished volume will be approximately 6 gallons and pitch yeast EC-1118 when up to correct temp.
Update - Ok, DDDG Nation, I pressed this morning. 16 gallons of fruit was reduced by the Lallzyme EX-V to four cups of grey pulp. I think I was successful in extracting everything from the fruit, lol. Gravity down to .999 from a start of 1.113. Can anyone say "rocket fuel"? Fermentation has been steady throughout. Under airlock now.

I'll let it die out and settle. I'll hit it with KMeta and Sorbate in a couple of weeks before racking for a long nap.

I think that the amount of sugar you back-sweeten with plays a huge role in the wine, but everyone is different. Instead of adding the suggested sugar to do this, I like to start small, taste, then add (a little) more, tasting as I go (bench trials). I test the SG of the wine after it is at my level, that gives me future insight as to where I may like it. I may like some fruits sweeter, some drier.

I've made a couple of batches of Dragons Blood and must say I love this stuff. Looking to try a different version I picked up 3 packs (12#) of mixed fruit (Pineapples / strawberry / peaches /mangos.) I thought I had read it was recommended to double the fruit if going with something different. This is still very new to me so I was curious if I should make any other changes to the recipe before starting this batch. I am very curious as to why the changes should be made (if any) so I will understand what to do in the future with other versions.
Thanks to DD and everyone for all the info I'm attempting to sort thru in this thread.
the more fruit the higher the flavor
Dawg

Back