DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did my first batch of DB - I used Presidents Choice 4 berry blend. Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries and Rasberries.

I didn't use lemon as it said for a more supple blush not to use it.

for my Enzynes, Tannin and Yeast Energizer and Nutrients, I used a premix bag from Vintners that my local HBS told me it was the mix for 5 gallon fruit wines.

We will see how it goes day by day.

I just bottled some of my 1st db yesterday and left the rest to bulk age. It's already darn tasty, I'm not sure it the rest will age for too long [emoji12]

DB doesn't really benefit from bulk ageing. The flavor pretty much peaks after about a month. Once it's clear bottle it and enjoy!

I just did my first batch of DB - I used Presidents Choice 4 berry blend. Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries and Rasberries.

for my Enzynes, Tannin and Yeast Energizer and Nutrients, I used a premix bag from Vintners that my local HBS told me it was the mix for 5 gallon fruit wines.

That premix bag sounds like a nice way to do it. Please keep us informed.

Will

I just bottled some of my 1st db yesterday and left the rest to bulk age. It's already darn tasty, I'm not sure it the rest will age for too long [emoji12]

I agree with Jumby. Bottle it all and get another batch started. It disappears fast.

Will

So what did you add for acid? That is the main purpose of the lemon juice.

DB doesn't really benefit from bulk ageing. The flavor pretty much peaks after about a month. Once it's clear bottle it and enjoy!

Cheers lads, I was intending only for 6 wks ageing then bottle... But sure feck it I'll bottle the lot n enjoy while the next batch is on

There has been some discussion here and there about how well DB ages. I think the general consensus is that it is best between 2 and 6 months and then it starts to lose some of the qualities that makes dragon blood dragon blood. So as I was cleaning up the wine cellar the other day, I found one of my first bottles of original recipe DB from July of last year. I grabbed it and a newer vintage and cracked them open for my husband, friend, and myself to taste test. We all agreed that the year old bottle was still yummy and my husband even preferred it to the younger wine. I am very happy as I have at least 30 bottles of various flavors of DB that are older than the 6 month window!

Question for those of you that have made DB before:

I have 5 gallons that has fermented dry ( SG .990) and it has cleared rather good on its own at this point. I have already added sorbate. I am thinking of making an fpac by simmering 1lb of triple berry blend and adding about 2.5 cups of sugar in a simple syrup mix and then putting this in the carboy to blend for about 10 days, then adding the Super-Kleer to settle it and bottling.

Have any of you ever added an fpac like this after it has femented dry? I realize the sugar addition is more of a personal taste thing but my experience is usually that with a completely dry wine I like about 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon in fruit wines.

Last edited:
So what did you add for acid? That is the main purpose of the lemon juice.

It didn't mention anything about acid at all if you decided to omit it.

Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized seven gallon (or larger) primary, add---in this order:

1 bottle (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): More or less lemon juice can be added to your taste, (i.e., if you want to reduce the acid level use less lemon juice). The acid added here will help balance the final wine. Substitutes include any other kind of citrus juice (orange, lime, etc.), or use no citrus at all for a very soft, supple blush.

It didn't mention anything about acid at all if you decided to omit it.

Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized seven gallon (or larger) primary, add---in this order:

1 bottle (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): More or less lemon juice can be added to your taste, (i.e., if you want to reduce the acid level use less lemon juice). The acid added here will help balance the final wine. Substitutes include any other kind of citrus juice (orange, lime, etc.), or use no citrus at all for a very soft, supple blush.

With no lemon juice or acid blend, it is probably going to be very flat tasting. I have made it both ways(with lemon juice and with acid blend) and prefer the lemon juice way. It has been so long since I read those instructions, I don't recall that line about omitting the juice being in there.
If you haven't bottled it yet, taste it beforehand and if you find it flat, add some acid blend at that time...............if not, just roll with it how it is.

Question for those of you that have made DB before:

I have 5 gallons that has fermented dry ( SG .990) and it has cleared rather good on its own at this point. I have already added sorbate. I am thinking of making an fpac by simmering 1lb of triple berry blend and adding about 2.5 cups of sugar in a simple syrup mix and then putting this in the carboy to blend for about 10 days, then adding the Super-Kleer to settle it and bottling.

Have any of you ever added an fpac like this after it has femented dry? I realize the sugar addition is more of a personal taste thing but my experience is usually that with a completely dry wine I like about 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon in fruit wines.

Hi Thig,

I have flavor pak my Strawberry DB the 2 times I have made it. I usually put the juice in when I rack, sorbate, Kmeta, and Sparkolloid. So far, the wines have turn out with a wonderful up front strawberry taste.

Mark:r

My new house has a basement temperature that is a constant 64-65F... Would you ferment to dry a DB batch in that temperature? I'd pitch the yeast with a must temp of something like 70-75F but then let it do its thing. Is that too risky? Should I use my brew belt to keep the temp up because of the ambient basement temp??

Thanks...

Looks good. I also like the label in large part for its simplicity - the less is more kinda thing.

Thanks for the complements
It goes down REAL easy... I like the simple things hence the label, good wines = good vibes and that is the third batch (2 kits) I ever made #3 ;-) simples

My new house has a basement temperature that is a constant 64-65F... Would you ferment to dry a DB batch in that temperature? I'd pitch the yeast with a must temp of something like 70-75F but then let it do its thing. Is that too risky? Should I use my brew belt to keep the temp up because of the ambient basement temp??

Thanks...

You shoul be ok, it just may take a little longer. This is, of course, assuming you are using EC-1118. 59-86 degree fermenting range.

Back