DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a batch on the go right now and I have a question.

I've removed my fruit at 0.998 SG and I'm waiting for it to stabilize. It's been at 0.990 for the past 2 days but I have to leave tomorrow for 3 days.

Can I leave it for the 3 days? I will have no one around to check on it or stir. Or, should I check it again late tonight and if still at 0.990, rack it and complete step 4?

TIA

Hey TIA,

I've done this many times. Just rack it to a carboy and put an air lock on. I have left DB after the first racking for weeks with no effects what so ever. It just gives the DB a chance to settle out the dead yeasties.

My Strawberry DB stayed under air after the 2nd racking for 6 weeks because I've been busy this summer.

Speaking of Strawberry DB, I went to bottle it, and it had fine lees. I never have had this happen before. This is 10 gallons that I back sweetened with Splenda. I have reracked, and am waiting another month to make sure the are no further lees.

I think it was from some strawberry mead I used to top up with. Its about 1 year old and I'm finding sediment in the bottles. I obiously bottled the mead too soon!

Mark:slp

So I just did a batch of all blackberry DB with 71-B. I really wanted a killer blackberry flavor so I got some of the blackberry concentrate from my LHBS that's made for beer or wine. BIG mistake! I even only used half the recommended amount. My DB now tastes like cough syrup. Bummer. Back to the original I guess

When I do my 2nd racking, while making Strawberry DB, I top off with juice made from Strawberries. Simply place berries in a pot, cover with water, and lightly simmer for 20 - 30 minutes. Then strain.

I have also done this with blackberries when making regular blackberry wine.

It give the wine more of the true fruit flavor.

Mark

PS _ Welcome back Dave!:hug

So I just did a batch of all blackberry DB with 71-B. I really wanted a killer blackberry flavor so I got some of the blackberry concentrate from my LHBS that's made for beer or wine. BIG mistake! I even only used half the recommended amount. My DB now tastes like cough syrup. Bummer. Back to the original I guess

Next time look at making an f-pac and adding it for additional flavor. Do a search on WMT for how to make an f-pac.

This is essentially what Mark is describing.

I am on day 3 of clearing. It's unreal how much sediment is at the bottom and how much is just hanging in suspension. Yes I sat for 40+ mins. staring. ;-).

My question is since we are talking about fpacs they are for the extra flavour.?Do they also sweeten enough or do you add the sugar still? I have a 6g clearing of the quad berry mix from Walmart. It looks dark and really hoping for top results. And will be back sweetening of 3/4 cup sugar / g as per recipe. So curious if you do both and how much berries should I reduce?

Thanks in advance.

Vennge

Got a 6 gallon batch of BlackBerry only dragon blood brewing over the last two days. Used 9 lbs of fresh picked then frozen berries. Looks really dark! The last BlackBerry only I made turned out great! Good ferment going on today.

1440690176096.jpg

I am on day 3 of clearing. It's unreal how much sediment is at the bottom and how much is just hanging in suspension. Yes I sat for 40+ mins. staring. ;-).

My question is since we are talking about fpacs they are for the extra flavour.?Do they also sweeten enough or do you add the sugar still? I have a 6g clearing of the quad berry mix from Walmart. It looks dark and really hoping for top results. And will be back sweetening of 3/4 cup sugar / g as per recipe. So curious if you do both and how much berries should I reduce?

Thanks in advance.

Vennge

They are predominantly for additional flavor. You are still going to want to add some sugar. Personally, I would start with 1/2c per gal. and go from there.
Remember too, get the taste almost to where you want it as it will sweeten up a little more once in the bottle for a few months.

Oh boy! I may have messed up this new batch of mixed berry. Instead of adding 3 tsp of yeast nutrient I added 3 tsp of yeast energizer. I haven't added my yeast yet. Am I going to have a volcano or have I just ruined a batch of dragon blood?

Cotes du Blanc or EC-1118?

Started a "test run" 3 gallon batch of DB today with a mix of grapes, pineapple, strawberries and peaches. It's Sunrise Farms brand Fruit Salad mix. Total weight of fruit is 3 lbs. I put in 12 ounces of lemon juice instead of 24 hoping the lemon juice will add just a little brightness. I've wanted to make a non-berry DB for quite a while but wanted a frozen mix without mango or papaya. Finally found it. :db

Should I stick with good ol' EC-1118, or use Cotes du Blanc or Montrachet? I don't want to strip the flavors. Have read in this thread that strawberries, pineapple and peaches can all be a bit tricky to use. I have all 3 yeasts available so it's just a matter of opening the right packet. :h

Oh boy! I may have messed up this new batch of mixed berry. Instead of adding 3 tsp of yeast nutrient I added 3 tsp of yeast energizer. I haven't added my yeast yet. Am I going to have a volcano or have I just ruined a batch of dragon blood?

UPDATE
It is 24 hours later and I went to pitch the yeast. The must appeared to already be fermenting. I took a SG reading. It has already gone down from 1.076 to 1.060. I went ahead and pitched the yeast. I think the extra yeast energizer caused a wild strain of yeast to start fermenting. Not sure what I can do. This may be my first failed batch.

UPDATE
It is 24 hours later and I went to pitch the yeast. The must appeared to already be fermenting. I took a SG reading. It has already gone down from 1.076 to 1.060. I went ahead and pitched the yeast. I think the extra yeast energizer caused a wild strain of yeast to start fermenting. Not sure what I can do. This may be my first failed batch.

The yeast energizer I use is dead, used yeast cells. I think there was enough live wine yeast in your energizer to start fermentation. it will be fine.

Mark

Started a "test run" 3 gallon batch of DB today with a mix of grapes, pineapple, strawberries and peaches. It's Sunrise Farms brand Fruit Salad mix. Total weight of fruit is 3 lbs. I put in 12 ounces of lemon juice instead of 24 hoping the lemon juice will add just a little brightness. I've wanted to make a non-berry DB for quite a while but wanted a frozen mix without mango or papaya. Finally found it. :db

Should I stick with good ol' EC-1118, or use Cotes du Blanc or Montrachet? I don't want to strip the flavors. Have read in this thread that strawberries, pineapple and peaches can all be a bit tricky to use. I have all 3 yeasts available so it's just a matter of opening the right packet. :h

EC-1118 will always work fine but look at KV-1116 or Cotes.

@CheerfulHeart Keep us posted. I have never used Cotes on any DB variation before so curious how it turns out, and your recipe in general. Good luck.

Why only 3 lbs. of fruit? I've used the DB recipe with 14 lbs. of peach once (turned out very nice) but otherwise have stuck to the 6 lbs. found in the DB recipe. Interesting mix of fruit, hope it turns out great for you.

Bill,
It looks like it is only a 3 gal. batch so Cheerful is sticking to the original recipe of 6 lbs. per 6 gallons.

The yeast energizer I use is dead, used yeast cells. I think there was enough live wine yeast in your energizer to start fermentation. it will be fine.

Mark

Thanks for the encouraging information. You got my hopes up that all will be well.

Mary Lou

Latest posts

Back