DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the original DB is in the carboy clearing and a batch of tropical is in the primary! SG on this one is 1.080 but there is twelve pounds of fruit in there so I think that will increase somewhat.

The original DB was started on 9/2. Racked into carboy on 9/11. Racked today and sweetened with 4 cups of sugar. At first it kind of tasted like crap but after chilling a bit and a little extra sugar it's not that bad. Hope it gets even better as time goes on. Super easy process. Thanks, Dave!

Temps ranged from 76-79 the whole time.

I think you are about right.

I have a 12 gallon batch that is fermenting a 68 degrees. I started it on 9/8 and pitched the yeast on 9/9. Here are the daily gravity readings:

The O.G. was 1.076 @ 68°.
Day 2 was 1.076 @ 67°.
Day 3 was 1.076 @ 67.7°.
Day 4 was 1.066 @ 68°.
Day 5 was 1.040 @ 68°.
Day 6 was 1.026 @ 68°.
Day 7 was 1.012 @ 68°.
Day 8 was 1.000 @ 68°.
Day 9 was 0.992 @ 68°. (Today - 9/17)

You don't say if your temperatures are ambient or must temps, but you are 10+ degrees hotter than what I am running. It is definitely possible that it is done. Just make sure you have three consecutive days of stable gravity readings and you can move to racking.

Edit - Just saw your latest post. If you started on 9/2 instead of 9/12 and your gravity is stable, then yes you are done. Hope it turns out well for you!

Last edited:
Temps ranged from 76-79 the whole time.

I always want to see the .990 reading for 2 or 3 days to make sure the ferment has stopped. Too fast? I don't think so. We really like our Tropical DB. It is a nice change of pace from the Berry flavors.

Will

I have a 12 gallon batch that is fermenting a 68 degrees. I started it on 9/8 and pitched the yeast on 9/9. Here are the daily gravity readings:

Day 2 was 1.076 @ 67°.
Day 3 was 1.076 @ 67.7°.
Day 4 was 1.066 @ 68°.
Day 5 was 1.040 @ 68°.
Day 6 was 1.026 @ 68°.
Day 7 was 1.012 @ 68°.
Day 8 was 1.000 @ 68°.

You don't say if your temperatures are ambient or must temps, but you are 10+ degrees hotter than what I am running. It is definitely possible that it is done. Just make sure you have three consecutive days of stable gravity readings and you can move to racking.

Edit - Just saw your latest post. If you started on 9/2 instead of 9/12 and your gravity is stable, then yes you are done. Hope it turns out well for you!

That was the original DB. Tropical started on 9/11.

I always want to see the .990 reading for 2 or 3 days to make sure the ferment has stopped. Too fast? I don't think so. We really like our Tropical DB. It is a nice change of pace from the Berry flavors.

Will

Thanks for the reassurance Willie. Just tried my first taste of the original.....I think I can work with this...lol

Day 2 was 1.076 @ 67°.
Day 3 was 1.076 @ 67.7°.
Day 4 was 1.066 @ 68°.
Day 5 was 1.040 @ 68°.
Day 6 was 1.026 @ 68°.
Day 7 was 1.012 @ 68°.
Day 8 was 1.000 @ 68°.

Thanks for the replies CGish!

I'm thinking about making the Tropical Daze variant of DB next. What fruits are in it? I bought a bunch of individual fruit bags of tropical fruits from the Dollar store and I'm wondering about how many pounds of each fruit and what kinds of fruits most people have found success with! Thanks in advance!!

I'm thinking about making the Tropical Daze variant of DB next. What fruits are in it? I bought a bunch of individual fruit bags of tropical fruits from the Dollar store and I'm wondering about how many pounds of each fruit and what kinds of fruits most people have found success with! Thanks in advance!!

At Wally World they have The Great Value Brand. Both their Mixed or Tropical bags work just great. I have used 12# of the Mixed Fruit - Strawberry, Mango, Peaches, pineapple. Papaya is another fruit they use also I believe in the Tropical blend. That should give you a good idea what to use. I also used 2 cans of Welches 100% White frozen grape juice in each batch for added body.
Hope this helps.

Will

At Wally World they have The Great Value Brand. Both their Mixed or Tropical bags work just great. I have used 12# of the Mixed Fruit - Strawberry, Mango, Peaches, pineapple. Papaya is another fruit they use also I believe in the Tropical blend. That should give you a good idea what to use. I also used 2 cans of Welches 100% White frozen grape juice in each batch for added body.

Hope this helps.

Will

I have individual bags with Mango, Peach, Pineapple and Strawberry. So I'm thinking my fruits are fine, now I just have to figure out a ratio.

All of those fruits take a lot of fruit to add a stronger flavor, compared to the berry blends. Don't have experience with pineapple, though. Strawberry and Mango take 1.5-2X as much for the same strength flavor as blue or blackberries.

Ok so I have a batch of DB that is currently 3 weeks old. It's in a carboy and has been cleared. I'm ready to rack and sweeten. However I think I want to try an f-pac for some extra flavor this time. However after reading about them I should've added before clearing. My issue is I need this wine ready in 3 weeks. If I add the fpac I assume it will cloud the wine a bunch? What I was thinking about doing is cold crashing to help drop any haze or sediment from the fpac. I do it with all my beers and it works wonders. Any reason it wouldn't work here? Or will it clear in 3 weeks on its own?

I have a batch of original DB that I started on 9/2. I racked into a carboy on 9/11 and added sulfite, sorb ate and de gassed. Then added sparkolloid per directions. On 9/17 I sweetened with 4 cups sugar. Tasted on 9/22 and added a can of frozen strawberry daquri mix and stirred. I noticed today that there is a little activity in the bubbler. Very slow but i saw it bubble a couple times. Of coarse I haven't taken a s.g. Since I moved it into the carboy. Should I add sorbate again? Thanks.....

Could it be reacting to changing temps? The house is cooling down pretty good now and I have not seen it bubble in a while.

Back