DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say Blue Blood, did you use the Dragon Blood recipe and only use blueberries? I have 6 blueberry bushes so blueberries are free! I tried a non DB blueberry recipe and it took forever to ferment and I never could get it to ferment dry. I was wondering how this one turned out. I have blueberries in the freezer and on the vine. And we would welcome some rain to cool us down. We have been under a heat advisory since Monday with temps in the triple digits next week!

Yes I used the Dragon Blood recipe making the Blue Blood. 12 lbs. of berry's plus just before bottling we decided it need a little more flavoring so we added 3oz not quite a full bottle of Brewer's Best Blueberry Fruit Flavoring. The process worked out perfect. No problems at all.

Will

Yes I used the Dragon Blood recipe making the Blue Blood. 12 lbs. of berry's plus just before bottling we decided it need a little more flavoring so we added 3oz not quite a full bottle of Brewer's Best Blueberry Fruit Flavoring. The process worked out perfect. No problems at all.

Will

Thanks Will! I'll have to put it on my list to try! I am starting Dave's Sweet Strawberry Tart today and I have a 6 gallon batch of Sweet Tea wine clearing now. So I've gotta keep those moving along first!!

Jackie

Thanks Will! I'll have to put it on my list to try! I am starting Dave's Sweet Strawberry Tart today and I have a 6 gallon batch of Sweet Tea wine clearing now. So I've gotta keep those moving along first!!

Jackie

Hey I just strted another of Dave's Strawberry today also. I only used just 64 oz. of lemon juice this time. The first batch I only used 32 oz. Slowly working my way up to the 96 oz. I guess. Just not sure If we would like the 96 oz. in it or not. Seems like an awful lot of lemon juice.
It has been raining every day here this pass week warm and muggy and it looks like more of the same next week. A lot of rain for the month of June here in Central Ohio.

Will

I followed the Sweet Strawberry Tart recipe exactly lemon juice and all! I wish we would see some rain! It's HOT Southern Hot so it's miserable outside and my blueberries won't plump up because it hasn't rained! So no Blueblood berries yet!

Blue Blood questions

The Blue Blood variation sounds delicious! Some friends of mine would really like this. Would a 48 oz can of Vintner's Harvest blueberry puree in the primary be enough to boost the flavor, or should I go with the Brewer's flavoring?

Last edited:
The Blue Blood variation sounds delicious! Some friends of mine would really like this. Would a 48 oz can of Vintner's Harvest blueberry puree in the primary be enough to boost the flavor, or should I go with the Brewer's flavoring?

One thing that has alway's been encouraged here on Dragon Blood is if you have an idea to try a different variation go ahead and try it and please let the rest of us Blood makers know the results. Your blueberry puree sounds like a great idea to boost the flavor.

Will

I followed the Sweet Strawberry Tart recipe exactly lemon juice and all! I wish we would see some rain! It's HOT Southern Hot so it's miserable outside and my blueberries won't plump up because it hasn't rained! So no Blueblood berries yet!

Be careful what you wish for. We got 7.5 inches of rain this week. I picked a gallon of blueberries in the pouring rain because I didn't want the birds to get them. I made a blueberry and blackberry db. It was really good and as soon as the blackberries are ripe I will make another blue and black blood.
Mary Lou

I picked another gallon of blueberries today. That makes 3 gallons and there are still more berries to ripen. So now I am wondering if I should make a straight blue blood. For those of you who have made both the black and blue and the straight blue which do you prefer?

Mary Lou

I picked another gallon of blueberries today. That makes 3 gallons and there are still more berries to ripen. So now I am wondering if I should make a straight blue blood. For those of you who have made both the black and blue and the straight blue which do you prefer?

Mary Lou

With all those fresh blueberries, I would look at making some traditional blueberry wine. Best of both worlds that way.

I have been thinking about a traditional blueberry wine. There is a winery here in MO. that makes an excellent blueberry wine. I would love to create something similar.

Mary Lou

I did a traditional blueberry wine a while back and had a hard time fermenting it, it was very slow. I have heard that that is normal. It was my first blueberry so it could have been me too!

I have been thinking about a traditional blueberry wine. There is a winery here in MO. that makes an excellent blueberry wine. I would love to create something similar.

Mary Lou

Is that winery Pirtle in Weston? I picked up some blueberry wine from them last year that was awesome. Made with all juice.

I just got done bottling 2 gallons of blueberry. I was trying to mimic something similar to theirs.

I did a traditional blueberry wine a while back and had a hard time fermenting it, it was very slow. I have heard that that is normal. It was my first blueberry so it could have been me too!

What type of yeast did you use? and what was the fermenting temp.? Also, do you stir often? I stir all my musts twice daily.

I just did a 2 gal. batch that went pretty well(10 day ferment to dry). I used Lalvin 71B. Temp. in my house was 70 degrees. I used 9 lbs. of blueberries.

Is that winery Pirtle in Weston? I picked up some blueberry wine from them last year that was awesome. Made with all juice.

I just got done bottling 2 gallons of blueberry. I was trying to mimic something similar to theirs.

The winery is St.James Winery in St.James Missouri.They do a lot of different fruit wines and they're all good. They have a mango wine that is only available in the summer. I have been watching for it but so far not seeing it in the stores.

Mary Lou

I went there during school before I knew a whole lot about wine. I can remember enjoying the Catawba, but not much else. I know I didn't care for dry wine at the time.

The winery is St.James Winery in St.James Missouri.They do a lot of different fruit wines and they're all good. They have a mango wine that is only available in the summer. I have been watching for it but so far not seeing it in the stores.

Mary Lou

Ah yes, I recall seeing bottles of their wine in some of the supermarkets.
We did a 13 winery self-guided tour in the KC area and east to Baltimore Bend.

Last edited:
2 gallon batch Dragons Blood

I just started a 2 gallon batch of Dragon's Blood. It is my first "non-kit" batch. I was curious why the recipe calls for no cover on the primary for the first week- ish? Recipe calls for just a towel. Is this just a preference or is there a specific reason my inexperienced self is unaware of? Thanks!
Jeff

I just started a 2 gallon batch of Dragon's Blood. It is my first "non-kit" batch. I was curious why the recipe calls for no cover on the primary for the first week- ish? Recipe calls for just a towel. Is this just a preference or is there a specific reason my inexperienced self is unaware of? Thanks!
Jeff

Yeah, it is just a preference. You can ferment either way. By my reckoning, most of us here just put a towel on the primary or (as I do) merely loosely lay the lid on the bucket. It makes it easier to get in there and stir the must and check the SG. Some people feel it helps for the yeast to have access to oxygen during the primary. (I am not one of them.)

Jeff

I'personally have to lay a lid over the bucket loosely because I have cats! I don't want anyone swimming in my wine!

Agree with Paul and JSquared. I just use a loose lid. I am always leery that either a. the towel may fall/droop into the primary or b. some fuzzies, etc. may come off the towel into the primary.
Probably me being OCD but that is how I do it.

Back