DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx guys, i too have recalled adding it after a clearing, and back-sweetening , sorbate was just bought but that doesn't mean it wasn't on the shelf awhile. it seems to have simmered a bit but it is quite active and still foaming up to the bung with a tinge of foam making it into the airlock but it isn't pouring out of the top anymore, just removed about 3/4 " of liquid and foam to make a little more room to do its magic , hopefully i can sleep knowing that it should be OK just a little hot to start

Last edited:
Thanx guys, i too have recalled adding it after a clearing, and back-sweetening , sorbate was just bought but that doesn't mean it wasn't on the shelf awhile. it seems to have simmered a bit but it is quite active and still foaming up to the bung with a tinge of foam making it into the airlock but it isn't pouring out of the top anymore, just removed about 3/4 " of liquid and foam to make a little more room to do its magic , hopefully i can sleep knowing that it should be OK just a little hot to start[/QUOTE

The process that you are going by is correct as per Danger Dave's recipe. I am thinking maybe the wine needed to go to dry a little longer and or you needed to give the wine a little more room at the top of the carboy. Anyway's I am glad you brought this up. I will keep it in mind when I do the first rack in the next few days of our batch of S.S.Tart. It is our first batch of this Strawberry also.

Will

Can someone please tell me what post # the tart strawberry recipe is on going to try this out thanks in advance

Can someone please tell me what post # the tart strawberry recipe is on going to try this out thanks in advance

Don't remember the post number, but I found and copied it.

Sweet Strawberry Tart
5/31/14 - To a 7 gallon fermenter, I added...
20 cups of granulater sugar,
1 cup medium toasted French oak,
3 tsp yeast nutrient,
1 tsp yeast energizer,
3 tsp pectic enzyme,
1 tsp wine tannin,
96oz of Real Lemon Juice,
and water up to 5 gallons.
Stirred vigorously until all was dissolved and well mixed. Attached brew belt for warmth. SG = 1.085.
Added 15 lbs of thawed frozen strawberries in two mesh bags.
Total volume came out a little over 6 gallons. Squeezed and stirred every day per DB recipe. Notes: I used more lemon juice than I normally do in my DB recipe because I wanted the final product to be nice and tart.

6/1/14 - Pitched 71B-1122 yeast.

6/7/14 - SG = 0.992. Added 1/4 tsp sulphite, 3 tsp sorbate, and 96oz ("Big Bucket") Strawberry Daiquiri Mix. Topped up with about 750ml original Dragon Blood. Added Super Klear

6/23/14 - Racked. After tasting, added 4 cups of sugar and 2oz Watkins Strawberry Extract. Added two drops of red food coloring. Note: I wanted a fuller strawberry flavor than I got with the fruit and mix, thus the added extract. I also wanted a deeper hue of pinkish-red, so added a little bit of color.

6/30/14 - Racked, filtered, and bottled, only to watch most of it disappear over 4th of July weekend.

Mark

Sweet Strawberry Tart
3 tsp yeast nutrient,
1 tsp yeast energizer,
3 tsp pectic enzyme,
1 tsp wine tannin,
Stirred vigorously until all was dissolved and well mixed. Attached brew belt for warmth. SG = 1.085.
Total volume came out a little over 6 gallons. Squeezed and stirred every day per DB recipe. Notes: I used more lemon juice than I normally do in my DB recipe because I wanted the final product to be nice and tart.

6/7/14 - SG = 0.992. Added 1/4 tsp sulphite, 3 tsp sorbate, and 96oz ("Big Bucket") Strawberry Daiquiri Mix. Topped up with about 750ml original Dragon Blood. Added Super Klear

6/23/14 - Racked. After tasting, added 4 cups of sugar and 2oz Watkins Strawberry Extract. Added two drops of red food coloring. Note: I wanted a fuller strawberry flavor than I got with the fruit and mix, thus the added extract. I also wanted a deeper hue of pinkish-red, so added a little bit of color.

6/30/14 - Racked, filtered, and bottled, only to watch most of it disappear over 4th of July weekend.

Mark

Thanks going to try this over the weekend

Sweet Strawberry Tart
3 tsp yeast nutrient,
1 tsp yeast energizer,
3 tsp pectic enzyme,
1 tsp wine tannin,

Mark

Thanks trying this over the weekend

The change I would make to the recipe(as I have done with all my DB variations) is to wait until the wine is cleared, then add the sorbate and backsweeten.

Curiosity has gotten the better of me and I've just started first batch of this last evening.

But as my personal tastes tend toward the big dry reds, I'm curious to know if anyone has dried this out and left it dry?? Do you really have to back sweeten?

Curiosity has gotten the better of me and I've just started first batch of this last evening.

But as my personal tastes tend toward the big dry reds, I'm curious to know if anyone has dried this out and left it dry?? Do you really have to back sweeten?

It's pretty Tart. A good portion of the back sweetening is to help combat all of the lemon juice. I have found I like it better when I use half of the lemon juice called for in the recipe. I have also made Dragonette which is quite good.

Yeah I intentionally cut the lemon juice back to 32 oz. Guess I'll just taste come bottling time and let that be my guide.

What the previous to members posted and... Consider that your taste may prefer drinking DB at room temperature as opposed to chilled.

This is a change from my first experiences with DB but I'm now finding that this winter I'm actually enjoying my DB room temperature as opposed to refrigerator chilled. Could be something about the 2' of snow around the house that is influencing my preferences?

Last edited:
It's almost Strawberry season here in Louisiana. I am wondering with the Sweet Strawberry Tart, Do you have to use the Strawberry Daiquiri Mix? I would rather follow the original DB recipe. And at the end add the Strawberry Extract and some French Oak.

Would that be okay? Thanks in advance for your help.

It's almost Strawberry season here in Louisiana. I am wondering with the Sweet Strawberry Tart, Do you have to use the Strawberry Daiquiri Mix? I would rather follow the original DB recipe. And at the end add the Strawberry Extract and some French Oak.

Would that be okay? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey SwanpDog, of coarse that would be ok. That is the beauty and fun of Danger Dave's Dragon Blood recipe is to have fun with it in any way you want. Right now I am fermenting a first batch of this and following Dave's recipe 100%. Dave, didn't receive a 1st place for this recipe for any other reason but it is awesome. So i want to taste some of this awesomeness this Spring and I know by the other posts we are not the only ones. Good luck to you.

Will

Last edited:
So reverting back to my original problem of re-fermenting or not, As I indicated before , the batch of strawberry has cooled down to a low boil and has stopped foaming thru the airlock.
My next question is - Should I add More Sorbate when its time for back-sweetening or let it ride as per Daves recipes ( dragons blood & strawberry) which called for it prior to the back-sweetening stage---SURVEY SAYS???

Hi Jet, SG is at .998 for 2 days now after adding daiquiri mix, K-meta and sorbate. Was fermented to .992 for 24hours with no activity when all was added degassed and racked to carboys

Cheese, I would wait to see if SG drops more. Looks like you had another fermentation. I like to check SG every day and once it hits bottom. I wait another 3 days toke sure it's stable before proceeding.

Cheesehead, I don't make DB, but for regular wine adding more sorbate is a no no. More than the normal usage adds a bubblegum flavor. But in reg winemaking they say to not sorbate till wine is clear. Sooo, just saying what the norm is. With DB, maybe a bubblegum flavor is a good thing.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back