DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kinds of frozen concentrates have people been using to backsweeten? I was going to use the berry blend.

Any time I use frozen concentrate it is Old Orchard 100% "whatever flavor", ie: blueberry pomegranate, strawberry kiwi, cranberry, etc.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Sodium Benzoate creates benzoic acid and prevents yeast from reproducing---same as potassium sorbate.

You have to read the labels in the store, not at home. However, every brand I have looked at contains it as a countermeasure to any airborne yeast or other microorgamisms from causing problems in the container (the amount used is small; as the extreme acidity will prevent any yeast from living in the container) rather than when it is used for making a beverage. Even RealLemon and RealLime contain it and I have used them for years in winemaking. Unless you are making Skeeter Pee, you can add it after fermentation has run its course. When using it during fermentation (as with Skeeter Pee), a good yeast starter solution husbanded for 24 or more hours before pitching in the primary will overcome any problem.

Last edited:
When using it during fermentation (as with Skeeter Pee), a good yeast starter solution husbanded for 24 or more hours before pitching in the primary will overcome any problem.

Jack,
I make quite a bit of wine with RealLemon and RealLime and have never had to use a starter. I use Lalvin EC-1118 typically with it. Could that be why or is the 24hrs. you speak of just a good precaution?

I am very new to wine making and I started my first batch of Original DB on 2/6 and I followed the recipe exactly. Dropped EC 1118 on 2/7 w SG 1.88, these are my readings. 2/8 SG 1.90, 2/9 SG 1.84, 2/10 SG 1.79, 2/11 SG 1.74, 2/12 SG 1.72..... Constant temperature of 66' and I have blankets wrapped around my fermenting bucket. Unfortunately I don't have a belt to raise the temp so my question is, Am I still doing okay or do I need worry about the slow SG drop? Thanks in advance for any advise!!

I am very new to wine making and I started my first batch of Original DB on 2/6 and I followed the recipe exactly. Dropped EC 1118 on 2/7 w SG 1.88, these are my readings. 2/8 SG 1.90, 2/9 SG 1.84, 2/10 SG 1.79, 2/11 SG 1.74, 2/12 SG 1.72..... Constant temperature of 66' and I have blankets wrapped around my fermenting bucket. Unfortunately I don't have a belt to raise the temp so my question is, Am I still doing okay or do I need worry about the slow SG drop? Thanks in advance for any advise!!

Welcome to the forum! :b

I think you're okay...

From LALVIN...

EC-1118
Saccharomyces bayanus

Origin
The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of the most widely used yeasts in the world.

Oenological properties and applications
The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 — extremely low production of foam, volatile acid and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) — make this strain an excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and demonstrates high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also properties of the EC-1118.

The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations.

An excellent choice for champagnes and late harvest wines. Also a very good choice for dry whites.

Last edited:
Welcome to the wine making family JSquared!!! , are those specific gravity readings accurate or are you missing a "0" as in 1.090, 1.084 etc...? and as Bkisel states with great info, that yeast is good to go, but temps determine the speed at which you will ferment to dry, usually higher temps = faster process. if you dont have a brew belt , try a electric heating pad or blanket or it could be as simple as moving the container to a warmer part of the house for the first stage of fermentation. and if you cant do the above, then patience is the key. Good luck, and keep asking questions , this forum is always glad to help new and old members at anytime!

Yes it should be reading like 1.072 SG, just a typo. Thank you for welcoming me with open arms! I think I really goofed on this one though. After checking everything else, I went back and checked and I had distilled water! I have always used spring water. Can I still save this batch? It is still forming a head. I will get a heating blanket to bring the temp up. Could I add more yeast nutrient to help feed the yeast? I can also stir twice a day to help add the oxygen it needs?? Any ideas, it's so beautiful and fragrant, I would hate to scrap it! Thanks guys, gonna check those plastic jugs of water more carefully from now on! We live and learn!

Welcome J^2.

Yes, distilled water is not ideal, but I am sure your batch will turn out fine. Just relax and enjoy the fermenting goodness!

You can stir it twice a day without harming it.

Enjoy!

Thanks Sourgrapes, "relax" is going to be the hard part for me! Everything I have read says DB is hard to mess up, hopefully I won't!

Thanks Sourgrapes, "relax" is going to be the hard part for me! Everything I have read says DB is hard to mess up, hopefully I won't!

Did you say you are stirring twice a day or that you could? I always stir mine twice a day, once in morning and once in evening.

On a side note, I am currently making a variation of DB(jericurl's recipe) and it uses Red Star Champagne yeast. Pitched it Sunday with a SG of 1.095 and last night it is already down to 1.006. No brew belt, blankets, etc. House temp. is set at 68. I have noticed on other wines I have made with Red Star Champagne yeast that it seems to ferment fairly quick.

I was originally stirring only once a day following the directions but I am increasing it to twice a day now to add the extra oxygen. I have also added a heated blanket to it. I live in the south but it's been danged cold lately!

You can always throw an aquarium heater in it. That's what I use. Keeps the must at a constant 76 degrees.

I started a 12 gallon batch of Dave's sweet strawberry tart yesterday. For my sweetie of course.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1424011714.879567.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1424011791.697402.jpg
Dave, if you have time it would be nice to get the recipe for this posted in the recipe section

I found the frozen berries at Aldi for $2 a pound

By the way, I have finally finished reading this thread start to finish! Wow great group of people with great information. I'm so glad I found this site!

By the way, I have finally finished reading this thread start to finish! Wow great group of people with great information. I'm so glad I found this site!

Your perseverance is admirable :try but your common sense is suspect. :D

I actually did the same before my first post to this thread.

Last edited:
Back