DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberry/red raspberry came out well.
It is very light, which could be from only using 6lb for 6 gallon.

So far only sweetened 1 gallon. Used 1/2 cup sugar.
Wife approves, but wants oak!
So I oaked 1 gallon, with 1 oz of heavy toast american oak, see how it turns out.
It is definitely different than the typical triple berry.
And while it is lacking the blackberry flavor, this allows the blueberry to be a more dominant flavor.
Like I said this will be a light , non heavy summer drink to have by the pool with ice!
I wish I had room on my label to add "it is a light drink"!!!!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1399294971.042267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last edited:
I think DB being a "light" drink is part of its appeal. For me DB being relatively inexpensive and quick to make are two other pluses.

It is interesting to see how the color of your wine is close to that of the two batches I've made using two different berry mixes. Brings to mind another appeal of DB, its recipe is very adaptable to different fruit mixes.

There can be several different reasons why your wine would be cloudy. SuperKlear or Sarkleloid will normally clear your wines but if you have a pectic haze you would need to add pectic enzyme and if you have a starch haze you would need to add amylase.

Thanks for the posts, everyone....
I am pretty sure I have pectic haze from the fruit. Last time I added 3tsp of Pectic enzyme, warmed it up, and 6-8 weeks later I had clear wine. This time I added the pectic enzyme, but I didn't put my brew belt on it, as I keep intending to start a batch of mango. Maybe I should wrap it in a blanket to warm it up? My house is always FREEZING!!! ;)

Anyway....I don't THINK it's a starch haze, as per my experience with the last batch......and there's no "starch" in it. (Can you get a starch haze from just fruit?). So I'll just wait it out.

But I'll double check my instructions. Maybe I'm doing something wrong that is causing the haze? I am using more fruit (12lbs up front, and 3lbs to make juice, as per the dragonette recipe) but trying to follow the recipe as instructed. Maybe it's the cold temps in here???

Racked and backsweetened up to 1.003. The blackcurrant is dark and crisp, quite nice. The flavors haven't really blended in together yet. There's the sourness of the currant and the sweetness of the sugar. I hope time fixes that! I'll bottle next weekend and then wait to get drinking!

My DB is good and dry sitting at .94 down from 1.075 God and strong. I have to wait till Friday to put it in secondary seeing as I'm out of carboys lol.

I'm still having issues with my first batch. I pitched around 5 different packets of yeast. Finally after a week withy no ferm I racked to a 5 gal carboy. And I pitched another packet last night. Hopefully it will be fermenting tonight when I get home.

If ph is around 2.7 will that inhibit ferm?

Any other suggestions to get this batch going? It still tastes good. Very sugary.

I'm still having issues with my first batch. I pitched around 5 different packets of yeast. Finally after a week withy no ferm I racked to a 5 gal carboy. And I pitched another packet last night. Hopefully it will be fermenting tonight when I get home.

Any other suggestions to get this batch going? It still tastes good. Very sugary.

Something is obviously wrong if you can't get it fermenting....

What is your sg?
What yeast? Is it expired?
What temp?

Something is obviously wrong if you can't get it fermenting....

What is your sg?
What yeast? Is it expired?
What temp?

You really need to keep it in the bucket, in the carboy it will get least air and if it hasn't started by now, it will never start in the carboy. Keep it in the bucket with the lid on loosely.

Are you stirring? You should be stirring a couple times a day, and don't be gentle. Also, add a brew belt.

If it's been a week, and five packets of yeast, with a temp around 70F, it should be fermenting, even with the high acid content. People make Skeeter Pee all the time. Since it's not fermenting, there must be another issue. Could be water related. What was your source? Have you had this problem before?

Julie gives good advice---really! :i

I have made 5 or so kits and haven't had any issues with them. So I don't think it's water problem.

Thanks Julie I'll try your ideas.

Can you post your hydrometer reading? This will in problem solving

Is there a difference between powdered and liquid tannins?
I've been using powdered, but my LHBS only has liquid in stock.
Do either work for dragons blood? Is there a difference in measurements?

Thanks!!!

I tried my strawberry/rhubarb dragons blood this last weekend. It has been in the bottle for about a month; it seems a little strong on lemon. I hope that it will mellow out some as it ages.

Here is my blackcurrant bottled!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1399892497.560615.jpg

Printer ran out of ink on the last labels, haha! I haven't labeled it as a DB as I don't want to explain it to everyone each time I open it.

The wine has changed since I backsweetened it a week ago, back then I worried about it being a bit too sweet (1.003) but now it is quite tart. I like it though, it is very "Pinoty" - which is a wine I love. I will open a bottle in a month and we will see how we go!

Oh, the front bottle is a clear one (only have one). This stuff is dark!

Last edited:
Here is my blackcurrant bottled!

Printer ran out of ink on the last labels, haha! I haven't labeled it as a DB as I don't want to explain it to everyone each time I open it.

The wine has changed since I backsweetened it a week ago, back then I worried about it being a bit too sweet (1.003) but now it is quite tart. I like it though, it is very "Pinoty" - which is a wine I love. I will open a bottle in a month and we will see how we go!

Oh, the front bottle is a clear one (only have one). This stuff is dark!

I like your labels.

I don't call it DB either but rather Lemon Berry Wine. I do have on my labels, in small print,... "DD DB by [my name]" but no one has asked what "DD DB" means.

Finally with temperature at 78 fermentation starts. ImageUploadedByWine Making1400018198.423296.jpg

Back