DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try shooting for an ABV around 11%

Thanks for the tip Julie. I think I made my first batch too high....(13.7%ABV)
It might be why there was not the best fruit flavor.

I am working on collecting mangos for a batch of mad mango. In the mean time, I just got 15lbs of mixed berries (strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry) at the dollarstore. I thought I'd start with 12lbs of fruit up front, and if it's still weak, use 3lbs for an fpack. If it's good, keep the extra 3lbs for another project, another time! :b

My friends have generously volunteered to save bottles and help me drink away my test runs. I'll get this nailed down soon enough! hahaha ;)

:u Just realized I bought the exact amount of fruit needed for Dragonette! Might as well give it a shot!!!!

Last edited:
Juile is correct. One of the reasons I make the suggested SG in the recipe is to let the fruit flavor come out without being overpowered by the alcohol. We are using a smaller amount of fruit than normal to start with, as compaired to most fruit wines. And if you drink a bunch (like we do at my house), it saves on the liver. I'm more of a mellow-wine-buzz-kinda-guy rather than a get-tanked-on-wine-kinda-guy.

You follow me? :dg

Oh, and we drink our DB chilled.

People will drink DB to get buzzed? I'll be drinking it to get my recommended daily amount of fruit.
smilie.gif

Crap with just two glasses of trying my DB last night I was already getting pretty tipsy. So potent stuff. If I try the DB again will make sure to keep it at 11%

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Wildines – I made my first batch of DB this year and initially wasn’t too sure about the taste.
Started it on 25 Jan, Starting SG was 1.070. I let it go down to 0.994. I only made 3 Gal so I halved Dave’s recipe. I only added 1 ½ cups of sugar to the 3 Gal. On 12 Feb I tasted it, and the wine had a lemony taste and was just so-so. On 18 March I bottled the 3 gal. I put 1 bottle in the frig and drank it that evening after it was chilled. It was a light semi-sweet fruit wine that when chilled was really good. I drank 2 glasses that night and 2 more the next night. It is starting to grow on me & I’m sure it will be better in another month. I’m already planning to make more. Great recipe Danger Dave! :br

Dave

I racked and sweetened my Strawberry Rhubarb dragons blood. It seemed to taste ok, but the color is a little orangey in color. It was a nice pink color after coming out of the primary. Did this wine oxidize? The location that I have this wine is not real dark, could the light have something to do with the color change?

One bottle on the right is what was left over after racking from the primary, and the bottle is what was left was from todays racking. The one on the right did not get any k meta, but has been in the fridge since racking. I did add k meta to my six gallon carboy.

So, I started a triple batch of original DB two days ago. I pitched the yeast yesterday morning before going to work. While I was getting my yeast together (EC-1118), I kept asking myself, "Do I really need three packets of yeast?". Now, I know someone will come on and say they already knew this, but I had always added three packets of yeast to my big batches. It's how my (usually) logical mind works. Simple. Triple batch, triple ingredients.

So, out of character, I added just one packet of rehydrated EC-1118. I figured if it didn't take off after 24 hours, I'd pitch some more.

I came home this morning to vigorous primary fermentation!

IMG_0754.jpg

So, I've discovered even further savings by making larger batches! I know the yeast doesn't cost much, but every penny counts.

Hey, not sure if I missed this but how did your experiment come out?

I've been lurking around for a while thinking up a recipe for the lingonberry concentrate I picked up at ikea. I think the dragon blood recipe would adapt well. Has anyone had any experience with lingonberry wine? I did a search on the forums but came up empty handed.
I want to mix the lemon juice base with the concentrate, but I'm not experienced enough to judge how much concentrate to use for a three gallon batch. Any ideas?

I racked and sweetened my Strawberry Rhubarb dragons blood. It seemed to taste ok, but the color is a little orangey in color. It was a nice pink color after coming out of the primary. Did this wine oxidize? The location that I have this wine is not real dark, could the light have something to do with the color change?

Typical of strawberry. It's one of the reasons I don't care for strawberry wines. I don't think it is oxidation. Every strawberry wine I've made was orange in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I have absolutely no suggestions, CowboyRam, but just wanted to say "hi" from a fellow Wyomingite! The only thing I have done with strawberries is a quad dragon's blood, so the other berries give it a darker color. The only rhubarb I've made is a raspberry/rhubarb that turned out great and retained it's nice pink color...so pretty I named it Ravishing Ruby! I guess if it is clear, and tastes good, that may be all you can ask for!

http://www.breitenbachwine.com/ Well we have never made Strawberry wine but we have an open bottle of Breitenbach Strawberry in the frig right now and it is a beautiful light red in color. Breitenbach is located here in Ohio in Amish country between Sugercreek and Dover. Their award winning fruit wines are made of 100% fruit no flavorings or colorings. How there Strawberry wine comes out so red I do not know. And most all of their wines run 12.5% alcohol.

Will

strawberry__54883_1330111091_220_220.png

Last edited:
Heres one for all of the wine experts
I have done a variation of Dave's DB - it is 4lb of pineapple, peach, red grape, strawberry and I added 1lb of banana - followed Daves recipe exactly - except I did one gallon - It is 2 weeks old - I have not added any clearing agents - someone tell me why it is so clear - all other wines I have made has never cleared this fast without so kind of clearing agent

20140322_122402.jpg

I just did a google search and found out that in order to retain the red color with strawberries they need to extremely ripe.

I have done a variation of Dave's DB - it is 4lb of pineapple, peach, red grape, strawberry and I added 1lb of banana - followed Daves recipe exactly - except I did one gallon - It is 2 weeks old - I have not added any clearing agents - someone tell me why it is so clear - all other wines I have made has never cleared this fast without so kind of clearing agent

I have heard bananas help with clearing........

Because normally wine will clear on its one and a one gallon batch clears a lot faster than a 5 gallon batch.

What is the quickest someone has made DB? The reason I ask is because it seems like it went way too fast. I added super kleer yesterday and it's clearing quick. I started on March 13th. Does that seem quick or am I nuts?

Back