DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used oak in my DB before. I couldn't tell much of a difference. My current batch---which is nearly clear---was blasted with a lot of untoasted oak in the primary. I was intentionally trying to over-oak it to see what deep oak flavor (not just a little) would taste like with the berries. Outcome pending...

Like James said, I'd avoid the blender. On the surface it might sound like a good idea, but if you break up some of the seeds in the process---like James said---you will get some bitterness from the seeds. The pectic enzyme will take care of that fruit. Just squeeze.

And wildvines, I really like the label with St. George the Dragon Slayer. I hadn't thought of him for a label. Good choice.

Thanks for the info guys. I will refrain from blending.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Wine Making mobile app

View attachment 13662

What do you guys think? I put saint Jorge slaying the dragon. My father gave me my middle name after him so I thought it would be nice to add it. Only problem is that my dragon blood is going to be 13.5 % ABV not 12.5. I made a booboo. I can order new labels.

Later I will post the way I am making my DB so far. I took a right turn during fermentation and tested something out. It seemed to really workout

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Really love the label! I'm looking forward to doing my next DB batch! Gave half of my last batch away and we kind of got into some of ours this past weekend - never fails!

Just by talking to people they already want some if my DB. I said well $10 a bottle to cover cost lol. They agreed but I will let them have a few. I need to make sure meets standards first.

I'm just giving to family an friends. I gave my dad a case as a gift. Then he wanted me to make some batches of other wines from kits. I said sure but you have to give me some bottles out of each batch for my time. So I have a Pinot Gris and Gewurtztraminer going currently and Liebfraumilch and Sauvignon waiting... I'm more of a red wine lover but I used to drink a fair amt of whites. I'll see how well these turn out.

I love me some reds! But been drink a bit more whites. Have some chards from aubert vineyards. Going to let them sit fir bit. Sale most and keep a few

Hey Wildvines are you licensed to sale alcohol? Reason I ask isn't to be a smarta$$ I just wanted to let you know that if your not licensed it is illegal to sale home brew, and I wouldn't want anyone getting into trouble.

Hey Wildvines are you licensed to sale alcohol? Reason I ask isn't to be a smarta$$ I just wanted to let you know that if your not licensed it is illegal to sale home brew, and I wouldn't want anyone getting into trouble.

Hey thanks for the heads up. But yes I do. I have a 4cop license but not for my house. It's under my name for a building I have. I owned a night club for a while and also have 5 acres of Malbec newly planted in Mendoza argentina. So did research on that. But I don't want to sake anything anyways. I just as joking. I did tell them if they pay for the kits , fruits , and additives I can make them batches and just keep some bottles. Maybe late on I might want to sell but not anytime soon. ImageUploadedByWine Making1392254385.818162.jpg

Ment I don't wNt to sale anything and I WS just joking with my friends and colleagues.

from what I have heard you can accept donations, but I wouldn't swear to it being true or not. :b

I heard something like that. I just want to make decent to really good wine and share my passion to others. I read most of all the threads and just see the passion the members of WMT bring and I just want a piece of that.

Question: Doses the bag for the fruit have to by nylon? Can it be a cheese cloth bag or will the pectic enzyme eat the cheese cloth?

Thanx...

I don't think the cheese cloth would get eaten but maybe over time yes it could break down. But never tried so I really don't know for sure! But I do find that the holes in cheesecloth can get kind of stretched so I imagine you'd end up with more pulp in your wine... Just a guess!

I don't think the cheese cloth would get eaten but maybe over time yes it could break down. But never tried so I really don't know for sure! But I do find that the holes in cheesecloth can get kind of stretched so I imagine you'd end up with more pulp in your wine... Just a guess!

Thanks. What is a good source for the nylon bag? I think I've read here about some sort of bag that painters use to strain/filter their paint. My LHBS carries cheese cloth bags but I don't know about nylon.

Check the fermentation bag cleaning thread! Tons of info on nylon bags!

Check post 43 I think.

Thanks. What is a good source for the nylon bag? I think I've read here about some sort of bag that painters use to strain/filter their paint. My LHBS carries cheese cloth bags but I don't know about nylon.

I do use the painters bags that I got at Home Depot. I used and reused many times and they seem to hold up well. I keep them in my washer and wash them with the rest of my laundry several times, then I soak them in Oxy Clean soap (in the green container) and water solution, then soak them in sanitizing solution.

Has anyone ever used Knudsen brand juices for making wine? It is 100% juice with "sufficient filtered water to reconstitute the Blueberrry Juice concentrate" Normally this is a little pricey, but a local store has it on sale and I have a coupon, so it brings the price down. Each bottle is 1 quart....I want to make a straight blueberry and have 8 quarts of this juice, how many lbs of blueberries should I add to the juice? to make a 6 gallon batch? ....james, would love for you to jump in here as I do prefer the double fruit DB's. Thanks

I used this juice to make my first blueberry wine turned out excellent. I used all juice no water.

i use the paint strainer bags as well...they hold up, and will hold a large amount of fruit....they have an elastic ban, so i can also use them to cover the top of fermenting buckets.

Let the games begin!

Here we go...

DSC_0130.jpg

Just starting my first batch of DB. I used those 5-gallon nylon paint strainer bags from Home Depot. After making my sugar mix, I just stretched the bag over the 6.5 gallon primary bucket, poured the fruit mix in, and tied a quick knot. It was great, squeezed the bag for about 5 minutes and set it aside. Will pitch the yeast tomorrow; can't wait to see how this one goes. :D

I have been using nylon knee high stockings from the dollarstore... I get curious looks at the cash but they work well!

Latest posts

Back