DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I went to my local wine making shop (local being 150 miles away) they did not have any EC-1118, but they did have EC-1116 yeast. Will this work also in a Dragon's Blood?

Johngottshall , looks like you need to bottle, and taste test a bunch.
Nice looking wine you have there..

You can make your own... And honestly even though fruit port style isn't a true port... I think i read this on another thread, it's unique and you can't find it in stores.

the true ports were thought to come from Oporto. Portugal. Hence the name (port). there has been thousands of bottles of port made in the port style.
meaning fortified with brandy....
both steve, (vacuumpumpman) and collect ports and are avid drinkers.
he makes his own, as I do.
I think they are excellent, in blackberry and white peach.

the true ports were thought to come from Oporto. Portugal. Hence the name (port). there has been thousands of bottles of port made in the port style.
meaning fortified with brandy....
both steve, (vacuumpumpman) and collect ports and are avid drinkers.
he makes his own, as I do.
I think they are excellent, in blackberry and white peach.

James
I could of not said it any better ! Nice Job !
We opened one up last night - and it was smooth as it could be - especially up here in all these cold and winterly conditions.

Hi James, reading thru other threads I seen U post about making DB using frozen concentrate. Do U use them just to replace the fruit? What amounts have U used?
Thanks, Mike

instead of fruit i use frozen concentrate in the amount of 4 cans per gallon.
so if am making a 6 gallon batch i use 24 cans, and fill bucket to the 6 gallon mark....
after that everything else is the same.

Wow! You guys are prolific with your posting. Get busy for a couple of days and...blam! Lots of posts to read.

So, were there any posts I really needed to field? :i I'm sorry if I missed anyone's questions.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1392154213.617389.jpg

What do you guys think? I put saint Jorge slaying the dragon. My father gave me my middle name after him so I thought it would be nice to add it. Only problem is that my dragon blood is going to be 13.5 % ABV not 12.5. I made a booboo. I can order new labels.

Later I will post the way I am making my DB so far. I took a right turn during fermentation and tested something out. It seemed to really workout

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

13.5 is good..i try to get that are 14 most times.
what did you test, interested to see if it is something that i have not done.
thanks for your post.
labels look good.

Wow! You guys are prolific with your posting. Get busy for a couple of days and...blam! Lots of posts to read.

So, were there any posts I really needed to field? :i I'm sorry if I missed anyone's questions.

I've got two now... What might a bit a of oaking do to the flavor of DB? Is oaking a tweak that should not be done with fruit wines?

Edit: Oops, second question answered with a quick search. Consensus in a another thread, "oak in fruit wine??", seems to be it is simply a matter of taste.

Last edited:
I have not used oak in any db...I started reading about it, and decided i want my fruit wine to taste like fruit that I started with.
I never liked wine from the store for the oak taste, so I am not using.
You may like it with oak...
For me its like eating a piece of blackberry pie, and biting into a piece of oak lumber...not for me.

What I did was not to drastic. But half way through fermentation I noticed my fruit bag was basically empty at a SG of 1.020. I decided to put in a fresh bag of 3 pounds of mixed fruit. I squeezed it a lot and left it in there for 3 days. I checked my SG it is at .990. I noticed it seemed to layer the wine and feed the yeast better.

Ok. So I am ready to start a batch of DB using 6 lbs of the Organic Triple Berry blend from Costco. I have a Blendtec blender and am thinking about liquefying the fruit rather than just crushing it. What do you think? Any words of wisdom? Any adjustments to the recipe? I hope to start the process on Friday and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

I don't know about blending it but I do know that I would use more than 6 pounds. I found there was not enough berry flavor with the 6 pounds. Just my opinion.

with that blendec your going to get the bitterness from the seeds...
If you add pectin enzyme to your must, in 3 days there will be nothing left of the strawberrys, except the seeds, I mean nothing...it will be a bag of seeds when you remove.

Latest posts

Back