cleaning your carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as they container has been properly sanitized, you should have no problems. I save the 23l kit bags and cap just in case something like this happens to me. I rinse out then sanitize the bag and cap. I put a small amount of K-Meta solution inside the bag a seal it up until I need to use it.

They hold a good deal of liquid and if you have a few laying around, you can always use them as temporary storage.

Salute!
smiley1.gif

crimson,

I usually take the carboy out in the yard and jet rinse the heck out of it.
If you do this right after emptying the carboy, it is much easier to clean.
The sediment I usually get is up around the top of the carboy which is easier to get off with the bottle brush.

A little saftey note on using the carboy brush......I was feeling pretty good about myself for scoring a really good deal on Craigs list and picked up 2 6.5 carboys for 35.00 total.
I got a little carried away and too vigorous with the brush, and the very tip of it ( on the 90 degree bend) banged the side too hard and broke one of them!
so now, I make sure that the twisted end of the brush does not have too much of the twisted metal showing, or protruding out from the bristles............

I think that I whipped it around too much and it lined up just right where the end of the brush hit the side wall straight on, and it was like a ball peen hammer hitting it------maybe I should do a video!
I'll take my frustrations out on shooting my buddy's decoys this duck opener, or if luck flys my way, maybe harvest some real ducks.

Sorry, have been gone for a while on a family emergency..
We breast out our ducks also, and if you remember to only cook wild game until it is pink and not brown, it should be good. I have never had bad wild game, knock on wood. Me wifey likes to marinate the duck breast in those zip lock self contained marinades that have come out recently.
I have a Game Warden's Cookbook that me wifey has modified a slow cook venison steak recipie that will knok any ones socks off . If you're interested, e-mail me, or private message me and I'll get it to you.You will not be disapointed. It is in a crock pot and makes it's own gravey.Edited by: termini

You might try to mainate with onion wine.

Made a gollon a 2 years ago to see what it would taste like. (yuky) after 2 years.

Anyway I gave it to my brother. He uses it for pheasant. Puts in a crock pot in the morning, cooks it on low.Tells me it is good.

But he like Mic lite so who knows!!

I have been "off the grid" for a couple months dealing with my little sis's passing (31) But that marinade sounds like something I will try on my goose.
And WADE----I have not forgot about getting you that recipie for the slow cook Venison steak and the venison chops' marinade.........I owe you.

I've introduced an old waiter trick that works great for for cleaning burnt coffee out of coffee pots to cleaning carboys.
throw some ice cubes into your carboy crushed will work if your ice is too big to fit in the top, get a good amount of ice in there, enough to cover the side of the carboy once it is layed on it's side. lay it on something slick, I have used a block of ice, or some kind of rollers like an old roller skate turned upside down and fastened to a work bench (works great) etc.. and just start turning. empty the water as the ice melts so the ice stays in contact with the glass. if you have something real stubborn you could add some salt or sugar to make it a little more abbrassive. I have yet to notice any scratching or scarring of the glass.
If anyone thinks the ice could scratch the glass please advise and i will stop doing this myself and delete this QUICKLY!!!

I don't really think ice would scratch the glass personally. I have heard about that trick as well as the salt trick. So far I have used the easy way and just soak the carboys overnight with a good dose of Oxy Clean in them. So far everything I have threw the Oxy at has cleaned it up just fine. I scorched DME in a flask once making a wort for a starter while boiling the flask right on the stove. It was a solid chunk of burnt sugar on the bottom of the flask. I dumped in a scoop of Oxy in the 1000ml flask and filled it with hot water and let it sit overnight. The next morning it was crystal clear clean. I have soaked my boil kettles overnight with Oxy and it has removed any burnt residue that was submerged in the liquid. I have soaked my stainless steel coffee carafe overnight and it looked brand new the next day. Percarbonate cleaners are fantastic in every use I have thrown them at.

I usually just clean with hand dish soap, the green cleaner kind that has no scent or color added. If the carboy is really dirty, I first us automatic dish washer cleaner and hot water and quickly follow that with the hand dish soap. I would never let automatic dish soap soak in the carboy. A jet cleaner or garden hose nozzle is a must. I do have a brush, but seldom use it. As long as I make the carboy the first item I clean as soon as it is emptied, I've never had too much problem getting it clean. I've found the residue from kits to be harder to clean than when working with fresh grapes.

I like to take them outside and use the pressure nozzle on the garden hose. Works wonders.. then get at the bits off with the long carboy brush if any are left.

Hey xanxer been a while since I've seen you, good to see you again. The only thing I use is the Buon Vino spray wand. My carboys are always cleaned within 5 minutes of emptying them so nothing crusts on. As a matter of fact this is one of the cheapest tools I have and the most used. I also use it to fill all of my bottles with water in the laundry tray when I'm going to soak them standing up, and then again to rinse them off after I pull the plug.

clean your carboys???? :)

dont you take one wine out.....tip the carboy upside down and then put in new wine? :)

Al Fulchino said:
clean your carboys???? :)

dont you take one wine out.....tip the carboy upside down and then put in new wine? :)

I tried that once Al but I had trouble keeping the wine in it with the bottle tipped upside down.
smiley36.gif

Back