cleaning your carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cr1mson

Junior
Reaction score
I just finished my first kit, and I am having a problem getting down into the carboy to clean the sediment off of the sides. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a carboy brush that I bend into different configurations to get all the spots.

Are you sure you have the big 1 as mine reaches the bottom of mu 6 gallon carboy.

This might be an obvious question, but have you let it soak with some sort of chlorine based cleaner, even bleach would do diluted with water. I do just a splash of bleach and fill up the carboy with water, let it sit over night or more and a lot of times that will help to loosen the sediment to point that it just rinses out with jet rinser. There are times, though that a big carboy brush is necessary.
This is the bigger carboy brush: http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4780

I also have the smaller brush like this and it's more of a bottle brush and I hardly ever use it.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4776

Thanks. I am going to order the bigger brush. I am letting it soak for a couple of days, then hoping for an easy cleaning. I had a lot of fun with my first batch. It tasted pretty good (merlot) at bottling, and I am sure it will only be better with aging. I tried about half a glass about halfway through bottling. I am ready to start my second, a cabernet.

I use a tool George used to sell but discontinued. It is chamois stripson a stainless rod that goes in my drill. I put some cleaner in the carboy, put the tool in the drill and let 'er rip. Works great. Much faster than the carboy brush. I clean them as soon as empty while still moist so I have never had any issues with dried crud in them.

Quick question. Right now the two carboys I have are full, as well as my primary. I ordered another, but in the meantime, can I rack into a plastic carboy from a water cooler as long as it is cleaned and sanitized? It would not be for long, just long enough to clean out the carboy and transfer it back. I know its okay to rack into the primary, but I'm not sure about the plastic bottle.

I clean mine right after I rack using the kitchen faucet spray gun to keep the gunk from drying. Some times I have residual on the shoulder area (especially after completing fermentation in the carboy)but the carboy brush works well in that area. After it's rinsed out I use cleaner and about 2 gals of water, use a solid bung and shake it all about (a little bit of a work out). Once clean I run bit of sanitizer in it and store upside down.

My carboys are starting to show a calcium build up from our water...I hesitate to use any chemicals to strip the hard water build up....but think I will soon have too.

We rinse them with the faucet washer and when there is a wine residue we use a carboy brush...I have given them a good scrubbing with the brush, but what we have is just a over all film beginning to form.

I use Iron Out and other products on the dishes in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling as well as the dishwasher is gleaming white...maybe one day I will bite the bullet and try some on a carboy and then rinse really really really well.

Has anyone elsehad the hardwater problem??? The water tastes really good and make great wine....it just has calcium in it...no iron.Edited by: Northern Winos

I take mine outside and jet spray water from the garden hose in there. Works like a charm.

Northern Winos said:
My carboys are starting to show a calcium build up from our water...I hesitate to use any chemicals to strip the hard water build up....but think I will soon have too.

We rinse them with the faucet washer and when there is a wine residue we use a carboy brush...I have given them a good scrubbing with the brush, but what we have is just a over all film beginning to form.

I use Iron Out and other products on the dishes in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling as well as the dishwasher is gleaming white...maybe one day I will bite the bullet and try some on a carboy and then rinse really really really well.

Has anyone elsehad the hardwater problem??? The water tastes really good and make great wine....it just has calcium in it...no iron.

I think I'd try the iron out or vinegar then quadruple rinse with distilled or RO water. Do you dry your carboys inverted so they drain out?

Jack on Rainy said:
I think I'd try the iron out or vinegar then quadruple rinse with distilled or RO water. Do you dry your carboys inverted so they drain out?

I was going to suggest vinegar too, but I have a mental hangup about using anything to do with vinegar around my wine equipment. I don't want acetobacter anywhere near my wine. I know if it was rinsed and sulfited after, it would be ok, but I hate to even make wine in the kitchen where wine vinegar is used.
smiley18.gif
Edited by: appleman

Our carboys are rarely empty....when they are it is just for a few days while something is in the primary. When they are sitting we usually have about an inch or less of Sulfite Solution in them.

Next time we have an empty one I will try the Iron Out and the brush, it should work...It makes our drinking glasses sparkle like new when I run it through the dishwasher....Also I have ceramic dinner plates that are black on the back, they get kind of grey and drab...it makes them shine like new. So, will give that a try, and then rinse, rinse, rinse.

NW/////Once in a while I get a bottle that has muck stuck to the sides or a plastic bucket to have to reuse,I put into it 5 /6 table spoons of B-BRITE and let the fomming action take place,let it set overnight,then brush it, if you have to,some of the hardest stains will either loosen or desolve in B-BRITE
smiley9.gif
Edited by: joeswine

Latest posts

Back