Are there many types of chitosan? Can you use any type of chitosan?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asami

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I am a beginner, I am good at brewing wine so far, but I never done fining. I am researching chitosan only, not kieseksol, and I was wondering if there are different types of chitosan. What I came across was a food-grade water purifier, is it possible to use it to clear my cloudy wine? Thanks.

Welcome to WMT

From a Chen lab point of view, the ability to pull molecules out of solution is based on the electrical charge. The water purifier is pulling molecules out so it also has some charge.
? Efficiency? this will be trial and error. It could be the same or it could have fewer tails with a change. I have been able to call suppliers, most will send a specification sheet, Your material is good grade so it is worth looking at. In the food lab I would take a 4oz canning jar (250 ml beaker) and try it.

Welcome to WMT.

I agree with David, food grade chitosan should be safe to use, but the question is "how much?"

When you buy chitosan specifically marketed for winemaking, the vendor indicates dosage. If it's any other source, you need to figure it out.

A low dosage may not clear the wine. A high dosage can strip the wine, removing particles of aroma, flavor, and color.

Hi, I am a beginner, I am good at brewing wine so far, but I never done fining. I am researching chitosan only, not kieseksol, and I was wondering if there are different types of chitosan. What I came across was a food-grade water purifier, is it possible to use it to clear my cloudy wine? Thanks.
Here from the Scott’s lab book are two different types.
See attached

Attachments

• IMG_2446.png
    IMG_2446.png
    678 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back