WineXpert Chocolate-Rasberry Port Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is just in secondary now. But it is a double batch(I have 3 gal carboys butknew I'd regret it if I didn't get two kits). I love the RJS Orange Choc Port--I only bottled it in May and I know it willget even better if I keep my hands off it but that's hard to do (I got two of those also). I did fortify that one but don't plan to do that with the Choc Rasp Port. All I have are 750 ml bottles so that's what I used for the OJ Port but I'm considering ordering some tenths (no retailers here). The bellisima are pretty but at double the cost of others,I'd rather havemore for the same price.

Just stabilized, added fining agent, and F-Pack yesterday. Tastes pretty darn good. I too have the dble batch going and it took forever to get down to 1.000.

wade said:
Tastes pretty darn good. I too have the dble batch going and it took forever to get down to 1.000.

Patience there Wade, Patience!
smiley4.gif

LOL...Hang in there buddy. Mine has cleared nicely and I am having to "practice what I preach" myself on this one. I am not sure that it is going to need fortifying either.

Okay, I bottled mine yesterday and must say it is awesome as I had 1/2 a split left over and my wife and I split that. Cant imagine it getting much better. I will definitely open 1 for Christmas.

Raspberry and chocolate...It just sounds so good....
Now if I could figure out how to make a dry red wine like that.....
smiley25.gif

Hi Northern Wino,
George sells a Swiss Chocolateliqueur in the store. I have used this in a Cabernat collage I doctored to have a slight chocolate on back of palate. Word of caution, the bottle is small but it doesn't take much start with a 1/2 of bottle to a 1 gal. batch. The bottles are .65 fl oz. You can also find this in the liqueur stores in larger bottles.

s.arkvinomaker said:
Hi Northern Wino,
George sells a Swiss Chocolateliqueur in the store. I have used this in a Cabernat collage I doctored to have a slight chocolate on back of palate. Word of caution, the bottle is small but it doesn't take much start with a 1/2 of bottle to a 1 gal. batch. The bottles are .65 fl oz. You can also find this in the liqueur stores in larger bottles.

What is the name of this product???

Is it Swiss Chocolate Almond???Edited by: Northern Winos

Ok It's beenover 2 weeks since being in the primary and is hanging out at 1.004. Should I wait to to it gets below1.000 or let it rip with f-pack and stabilizing? Or wait?

Try stirring it up a little as I had to do it to get mine to drop a little more.

I just added the sucrose to mine yesterday. This continues to be the best smelling juice i've had the pleasure of sniffing. I hope it stays that way. I have an MM Lambrusco sitting next to it that smells like crap!!!

Got up a little earlier than usual this morning ( 12:15am) and decided to go ahead and get my Chocolate/Rasberry Port bottled. Got the bottles all sanitized, racked to bottling bucket and using my new floor corker I made short work of this batch
rackingport-1.jpg

portbottled-1.jpg

There was just enough left after bottling for a good sample.
portsample.jpg

The chocolate is the first thing that hits the pallette, a semi sweet. The rasberry then came through as I swished it around a bit as did the oak. It definately needs more aging and get more complex and smoother I believe with about another 6 months in the bottle.

I went ahead and bottled a Black Currant/Campbells Early Grape blend that has been bulk aging since 12/23/06. Thishas greatly improved since I first blended it. Has a hint of Eldeberry I wasn't expecting and even went back and checked my recipe to see if I had added any during fermentation which I had not. There were also hints of plum, blackberry and fig. I think I am going to realy enjoy this batch and intend to stash a couple of bottles for Winestock next year.

portandcurrantbottled.jpg

Got to get off here and get some labes printed now for these two batches. Will post another picture of the Port when I get them labeled.Edited by: Waldo

Up at 12:15????? What time did you go to bed???.....or...... did you go back to bed after you tasted that Port????

Went to bed about 9:15 NW and still up and going. I was so disappointed . I printed out my label for the Port and when I went to putting them on, the label just would not show up very good at all on those dark bottles so I went back to square one, designed another label and this is the one I ended up putting on the bottles.

chocolate-port-1.jpg

chocolateportlabeled.jpg

Those look great Waldo, Good job
smiley32.gif

The label online looks almost 3D with the shadowing behind the letters.

I like it....

Hey those are the fancy skinny bottles, like an anorexick 750ml! Looks great Waldo. I bet they taste great too! I got up about 12:15 too- and went to bed as soon as I finished up in the washroom.
smiley36.gif
Too bad about the other labels Waldo- I rally loved them!

Back