WineXpert Chocolate-Rasberry Port Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Received my box of peanuts from Mark yesterday and inside was a Chocolate/Rasberry Port kit.

cpkit.jpg

Previous obligations prohibited my starting it until this evening but the yeast was pitched at 6:45 pm with a starting SG of 1.030 and a must temp of 72 degrees.

I unpacked everything from the kit and checked to ensure everything was there.

dissolvingbentonite.jpg

The labels provided are actually pretty nice but I still think i amy use the one I designed, Will decide that later.

labelsforcp.jpg

Read the instructions thoroughly and then,following the instructions to a tee, I dissolved the bentonite in 2 cups of boiling water

dissolvingbentonite.jpg

and added to primary.

addingbentonitetocp.jpg

Juice was then added to primary and I gave it a good 3 minute stirring. Just don't raise that stirrer too high.It can get messy.

stirringmustoncp.jpg

Added the oak pack and stirred it again for about another 2-3 minutes until I was satisfied the oak was well dispersed

oakaddedtocp.jpg

oakstirredinoncp.jpg

Pitched the yeast and hopefully will have a good fermentation going come morning

yeastpitched100907tocp.jpg

Looks good Waldo.

Does that Box say 3.5 US Gallons, Produces 3.0 Gallons? Is there 3.5 gallons of Juice? Is there an F pack?

Starting SG of 1.030?

Sorry for all the questions.

Waldo that looks very interesting. What is that wooden board you have the measuring cup with the betonite on.

That chocolate rasberry really conjures up a picutre no matter if it is a cake, ice cream or a rasberry dipped in chocolate. I'm very curious how does it smell, taste at this point???
Ramona

jobe05 said:
Looks good Waldo.

Does that Box say 3.5 US Gallons, Produces 3.0 Gallons? Is there 3.5 gallons of Juice? Is there an F pack?

Starting SG of 1.030?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for the questions jobe.....

OOPS..That was 1.130 SG Jobe. A little over 3 gallon on my mark on my fermenter and yes there is an F pack as well as a pack of package of dextrose for Chaptalisation later on

Cool, I just got mine and I probably wont be able to start mine till Thursday.
Im glad the labels are better then the website showed.

rgecaprock said:
Waldo that looks very interesting. What is that wooden board you have the measuring cup with the betonite on.

It is an oak, hog shaped cutting board. Probably older than I am
smiley36.gif

That chocolate rasberry really conjures up a picutre no matter if it is a cake, ice cream or a rasberry dipped in chocolate. I'm very curious how does it smell, taste at this point???
Ramona

Pssssttt ..don't tell nobody Ramona but I did not taste it........Actually i have a horrible cold abd could not smell it either and i knew I couldnt taste it so i just deferred on that step for the time being.

I started mine yesterday as well. I am doing a double batch to save me from having to buy smaller carboys!! It is off to a good start. I am impressed with the labels and think I will use them. Are you planning to fortify yours?

Yes, I will be fortifying mine lenore. Has your fermentation started yet? Im not going to panic but mine has done nothing as of this evening. The yeast is still pretty much floating on top of the must. I may give it a good stirring before I go to bed tonight and see if that will help

The yeast is still on top but I have lots of fizz and deep bubbles in there. So it is on it's way. My starting SG was 1.124.

Lenore, Great idea to avoid having to buy small carboys! I applaud that type of thinging!
smiley32.gif

Waldo, have I mentioned that you are my new best friend? Friends share, right?
smiley2.gif

I fired my dble batch and had a SG of 1.128 and it just smells like grape juice now Ramona. The F-Pack is the chocolate-rasp I guess.

PolishWineP said:
Lenore, Great idea to avoid having to buy small carboys! I applaud that type of thinging!
smiley32.gif

Waldo, have I mentioned that you are my new best friend? Friends share, right?
smiley2.gif

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Flattery PWP....Will get you "everywhere"

Have a good fermentation going this morning on the Port and as NW would say, "All Is Well"Edited by: Waldo

I started my kit last evening.... found out I'm short on air locks. so I placed a folded towel across the small air hole grommet and crossed my fingers that no creepy crawlies fall in....

So tonight i guess I'm bottling on of the older bulk aging carboys to get that airlock back to the primary.

Okay as Im currently fighting th dreaded fruit fly problem now, why i dont know but with tis batch, is that grape juice or Raspberry juice. I didnt have a chance to find out as fruit flies came out of the woodwork as soon as I opened the cap on the 2 kits. I keep my area and house very clean so dont know what this is about all the sudden but Im not the only 1. My friend is having the same problem and he doesnt even have anything fermenting at this time. He has 3 batches bulk aging and as soon as he takes the bung out they mysteriously appear.

Friday evening, I checked andmy SG was at 1.050 at a must temp of 74 degrees. I noticed I could no detectable activity but was not concerned as thisyeast is not o fierce fermenter anyway. I am getting close to day 7 now so I checked the SG again this morning and it is still at 1.050 with no visible sign of fermentation. I checked the temp and it is at 72 degrees so I gave her a good stirring and hopefully will see some continued fermentation here soon.

I have about settled on a final label for this one ( with some help from Joan) Will finish it as soon as I get Masta to help me figure out what my Alcohol content is. This is going to be a guess at best.

chocolate-port.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

Dang Waldo, that label turned out stupendous! Great job blending the edges of chocolate and raspberry. It looks like the chocolate and raspberry just melt ttogether! It's definitely one of the best ever on the forum from anyone. One very minor easy to fix thing I spot- The Cats Meow Winery is just a bit off center. Just push it a bit to the right. St the From between Cats and Meow and it will be perfect!

I can't get over it - just absolutely stunning!
smiley32.gif

Thanks appleman. I left it off center purposely to add the abv to the right once i detrmine what it is going to be

The label is a beauty and I'm glad to see you planning ahead on it, Waldo!

This afternoon I'm starting our Orange Chocolate Port. I am so excited!

Back