WineXpert Chemical odor?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just worried about you Wade. You were actually up with Waldo last night worrying about this- at 3:23 AM
smiley11.gif
We all take the forum serious, but man........... Now I know why your poor wife is worried about you
smiley36.gif

Next question Masta, We use or at least Ive heard and read many times to use 3 tbs. per gallon. "The Wine Makers Answer Book" says to add 3 grams per gallon to sanitize. According to the calculator Appleman posted, 3 grams works out to be about 1/2 tsp. Are we going overboard that much? I really hate sulfite's as everything I read about it conflicts with the last.

Great question Wade and I saw thismorning after you posted it and will be looking into why Alison suggests this concentration.

My guess is that it was a typo and it wasn't caught by the proof readers (if they are used anymore) since everyone uses spell checkers and such. I would guess she intended 3 tablespoons per gallon not 3 grams. That would be awful weak for sanitizing.

When I read this I ass-you-me'd (assumed) that 3 grams would be the equivalent of 3 tablespoons and that prompted me to make that post being as there is no conversion chart that i was able to find for tbs-grams at the time. Sorry to take over your thread by the way Bovine but you (I) have now stirred up a White Faced Hornets nest now.

No worries Wade...this has been a great discussion. I feel intimidated by the whole SO2 thing and its one of those areas I know I need to learn and understand...

This has been a very good discussion....I have learned quite a bit and very much appreciate all of the input.

Now ya'll quit laying awake at night.....

smiley12.gif

The Wine Wizard column in the April 2006 issue of “Wine Maker Magazine” indicates a sanitizing solution of 3 grams of potassium metabisulfite and 12 grams of citric acid in one gallon water. This is the same solution that appears on page 54 of the Wine Maker’s Answer Book. If it is a typo, it is a typo in both places.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The addition of citric acid will lower the pH and make the sulfur dioxide more efficient. I don’t know if the addition of citric acid makes a solution equivalent to the 1.25% sulfite solution (3 tablespoons metabisulfite in one gallon water) recommended by Mosti Mondiale, R.J. Spagnols and WinExpert.

Bovinewines,Riesling wines tend to have a higher acidity and lower pH than the average wine. I believe this lower pH results in more free and less bound SO2 from your addition of 1/4 teaspoon of metabisulfite before bottling. The higher level of free SO2 can be detected in the aroma and the taste. As Masta and Appleman have indicated, the wine is young and it just needs some time.

Good Night!

Back