RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Winery Series Chilean Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhughes

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a question previously asked and responded too...

I'm looking for a kit wine that makes a decent Malbec. I have read comments on a number of kits that suggest the finished wines don't exhibit typical Malbec traits.

Can anyone who has made the Cellar Classic Winery Series Chilean Malbec comment on the kit?

Maybe my question should be more open ended i.e. can someone recommend a Malbec kit that exhibits Malbec characteristics in the finished wine?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Welcome aboard Andrew!!!

You have come to the right place.

Unfortunately - I haven't made any wine from kits - i use fresh grapes and fruits - but there are several folks in this forum that do use kits and they will be around soon to give you their input on kits.

In the meantime - do you have all the necessary equipment and testing apparatus's?

Thanks for the welcome Jon.

I've done winemaking in the past at a place near where I live. I always wanted to try it at home but never had the space in our condo. We recently moved to a new house and I now have the space :)

The place I used, provided unconcentrated juice and I found the wines generally maintained most of the varietal characteristics one would expect. When I started reading about kits and some of the finished wines, some of the comments made me a little nervous.

I think I have all the equipment I need... I will be stopping in at my local shop in the next day or two to pick a last few things and my first kit(s). I'm just trying to decide what kits to start with based on wines I enjoy drinking.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Sounds like you are on your way.

As a suggestion - if you don't already have these items - i would get a hydrometer, Acid Test Kit, Potassium Metabisulphite Powder, and if you are bottling a floor corker.

I make a lot of these Winery series but havent made that one. I have made the Cru Select a few years ago and man is it a wonderful wine. IMO it was very close to many commercial Malbecs from where it was sourced from.

Wade, that would be the Cru Select Platinum Chilean Malbec? If so, my retailer carries those as well, so I may give that one a shot instead if you've had success.

Thanks for the info.

I cant really tell which one it truly s. it was a limited edition a few years back an I swear i remember it having a grape pack but not possitive. It was a Cru Select at the time and I usally dont buy any kits without the grape pack. They have added so much product since then in every category now that Im not sure, it may be the Winery Series that they have added as a regular. CPfan would probably know.

CPfan would probably know.
I haven't the foggiest, but fortunately I have some notes on this...

Cru Select RQ Chilean Malbec (available Dec 2006) no grape skins
Cru Select RQ Aussie Bush Vines Grenache with Grape Skins (avail Apr 2007)

I think that this was the first year that the RQs included a grape skin kit, but I would have to dig thru paperwork to be sure. The above is all that my computerized notes tell me.

Steve

As usual Steve somhow has the answer. I honestly couldnt remember, now Im actually recalling why i bought it though as the little old lady I used to buy most of my stuff from had this kit on sale as she had had it in her store for awhile most lilely because someone ordered and never picked it up. I say that because she doent stock tne higher end kits, usually just the Vino del Vida and Orchard Breezin.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. It sounds like my goal should be a high-end kit with grape skins if I want to have a good shot at maintaining the varietal characteristics.

Thanks again.

FWIW, I just racked this Malbec last night. It's about 2 months along now, maybe it's the one you are mentioning I guess. I had a taste and it's definitely young but in a year it's going to be wonderful.. This kit came with wet grape skins..

If the product page doesn't display, just click the link towards the bottom of the page to bypass the advertisement.

I know mine was a Cru Select and it was the limited Edition and Cpfan said it dodnt come with a grape pack and Im pretty sure he is dead on. Even without the grape pack mine is awesome so im guessing yours is the BOMB! I know Ive loved all the Winery series kits so far, especially the Super Tuscan!

I made the Cellar Classic Winery Chilean Malbec. It is 18L and comes with 2.5kg of wet grape skins.

I started it September 20, 2010, so it's not ready to drink yet. But I did have a taste of it December 14 and this is my description of it:

aroma: fruity / alcohol. Taste: licorice, acidic finish at back of tongue, harsh / hot, a lot of tannins some smoothness

I am new at wine so take that for what it's worth. I'll try it again at the year mark probably and see how it is.

Also, I had a few red wine kits in a row that I had trouble clearing including this one. One piece of advice I can offer is when you add the fining agents, add the kieselsol and then wait 24 hours to add the chitosan. Since I've started this I haven't had any more problems.

I havent made this kit as I stated above but have made many of these. These kits have a lot of total dissolved solids and need a minimum of 8 months to even start coming around. I really hate the fact that the manufacturers say it is a 6 keek kit.

I havent made this kit as I stated above but have made many of these. These kits have a lot of total dissolved solids and need a minimum of 8 months to even start coming around. I really hate the fact that the manufacturers say it is a 6 keek kit.
meening a person should leave it longet in the bottle? or carboy? I have some kits I've made with wine diamonds and sedamint.. trying to no do that again:h:h

I will always say bulk age. That being said, if you dont bulk age your quality kits and juices at cold temps you are still going to get the diamonds in the bottles.

Being relatively new to this hobby and making mostly kits, I have moved up to the higher end kits for my reds......... buying mostly the Winery Series now
and have made the Super Tuscan and just started the Australian Meritage
along with comparable kits such as Cellarcraft showcase cab shiraz and mosti renaissance Barolo. I am learning the benefits of patience before bottling!
and have accumulated 8 carboys, all of which are generally full.
I found that even lower end kits from 8-12L of concentrate will drop sediment
even if you extend the time to bottle a couple of weeks longer than the instructions state. I am now giving them at least 4 months in the carboy before
considering bottling, and even longer is better. This is always the toughest part for someone just starting out in the hobby with a limited supply in the cellar and anxious to get the kits made and drink them. Having 700 bottles in the cellar and now in my third year, this is much less of an issue.......
good luck ! :dg

Here's a follow up. My Chilean Malbec is 11.5 months old now so I cracked a bottle the other day. At 6 months I could barely drink a glass, it was so harsh. But now at just shy of 1 year I actually enjoyed a bottle of it. It's still a pretty heavy wine so I think I'll still give it some time before I start really drinking it so it can mellow out a bit more.

I find that Chilean grapes and wines (both kit and commercial) have a boatload of tannins and are pretty darn harsh for a long time but eventually they do settle nicely and make a superb wine.

Any updates on this? Some should be 2-3 years old now. Curious how they have smoothed out.

Latest posts

Back