carboy levels keep dropping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i’m positive i don’t have any thieves.
pos·i·tive
/ˈpäzədiv/
adjective;
3. -with no possibility of doubt; clear and definite.
"he made a positive identification of a glossy ibis"
-convinced or confident in one's opinion; certain.
"“You are sure it was the same man?” “Positive!”"

I was incorrect. Turns out my house was NOT haven for chemical reaction anomalies. It’s amazing how the brain works sometimes. I believe this is what them there smart people call- ‘Confirmation Bias’.

Initially started thread to see if others were having similar issue as me—NOT to find out why.
Gonna keep the rest of this as a private matter.
*I will not be offended by ballbreakers takin jabs or ‘i told ya so‘s. ✌

pos·i·tive
/ˈpäzədiv/
adjective;
3. -with no possibility of doubt; clear and definite.
"he made a positive identification of a glossy ibis"
-convinced or confident in one's opinion; certain.
"“You are sure it was the same man?” “Positive!”"

I was incorrect. Turns out my house was NOT haven for chemical reaction anomalies. It’s amazing how the brain works sometimes. I believe this is what them there smart people call- ‘Confirmation Bias’.

Initially started thread to see if others were having similar issue as me—NOT to find out why.
Gonna keep the rest of this as a private matter.
*I will not be offended by ballbreakers takin jabs or ‘i told ya so‘s. ✌

I really doubt anyone would take a jab. We can all imagine* the situation!

*Edit to clarify: I don't mean that we can imagine what happened. I meant that we can imagine ourselves in your shoes.

So it WAS thieves. Hahaha. Why would we take jabs? That is just too funny. You know, I wondered when you indicated some were dropping more than others, and I "assumed" it was simply due to maybe carboys filled up into the neck would "appear" to be dropping more than those that were not filled quite so full. At least they weren't diluting your wine with water to cover their tracks! Or maybe they did... just not carefully enough. Time for the polygraph. 🤣

I thought the thieves must be very neat. Either bringing their own equipment or cleaning up yours nicely. I can't thieve without a drop or two landing on the carboy.

I also wonder if you found drunken mice or someone confessed?

I thought the thieves must be very neat. Either bringing their own equipment or cleaning up yours nicely. I can't thieve without a drop or two landing on the carboy.

I also wonder if you found drunken mice or someone confessed?
ok last snow storm she had her girlfriend over the house. Kinda hunkered in for the night. They were gabbin it up & drinking having themselves a night and i was doing my own thing. I remember them yelling up— “hey we’re out of wine. Can you hook us up with a bottle?”

i said no sorry. nothing bottled and all vessels filled. Didn’t give it another thought.

Well the gabbing turned to men-hating apparently. And i was already sorta in the doghouse for other stuff . Combined with her gf egging her on and her gf’s damn vape pen, they decided to help themselves anyway.

About to sit down and watch the last episode of ‘Your Honor’ I remembered i wanted to mark the heights so i did real quick. she asked me what i was doing down there. Said the winter has been brutal on my carboys levels.

“oh....yeah....about that”. lol.

ok last snow storm she had her girlfriend over the house. Kinda hunkered in for the night. They were gabbin it up & drinking having themselves a night and i was doing my own thing. I remember them yelling up— “hey we’re out of wine. Can you hook us up with a bottle?”

i said no sorry. nothing bottled and all vessels filled. Didn’t give it another thought.

Well the gabbing turned to men-hating apparently. And i was already sorta in the doghouse for other stuff . Combined with her gf egging her on and her gf’s damn vape pen, they decided to help themselves anyway.

About to sit down and watch the last episode of ‘Your Honor’ I remembered i wanted to mark the heights so i did real quick. she asked me what i was doing down there. Said the winter has been brutal on my carboys levels.

“oh....yeah....about that”. lol.

Good story because I was thinking the 13 yo boyfriend!

Some box wine for emergencies would solve this problem real quick.

It's nice they like it though.

About the possibility of changing volume due to dissolved gas... I am finding this much too interesting. Experience tells me that degassing wine does not change its volume to any measurable degree. A quick Google search found this:
... Studies investigating the influence of dissolved gases on liquid density show very little change in density as compared to gas-free liquids.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ce_of_Dissolved_Gases_on_the_Density_of_Water
More hunting discovered other things that support that.
  • The entire fermentation of 6 gal of wine produces about 3 lbs of CO2. Does anybody consider that source when they're complaining about cars' and cows' (and refineries') carbon footprint? The amount left in the wine before degassing would be a very, very small fraction of that. Pick a number after comparing the amount of bubbles and foam produced during fermentation to what's produced when degassing. 1% I think would be a very high guess. At 1%, that's about 15 grams. 1 tablespoon. Adding a Tbs of anything to 6 gal wouldn't raise the level measurably, much less a Tbs of something that dissolves.
  • A can of Coke has about 2 g CO2. That's about 130 g per 6 gal. And I would say judging by the feel in my mouth, at least 10 times more than my non-degassed wine, probably more. Again, very conservatively, less than 13 g.
  • The source I first quoted gives solubility of ammonia as almost 2000 times higher than CO2 (in water), and that 90 g of ammonia will dissolve in 1 L of water at 0°C. Less than 2/3 of that at 25° (room temp). So about 3/4 g CO2 per 6 gal.
  • OK, I'm satisfied. Enough time wasted. 😁
This is much more interesting than what I'm supposed to be spending my time on.

That's when you know your wine is "that good"!
and also it’s why i started to make more. So the initial frenzy doesn’t deplete the inventory and can hopefully for once allow some wine to age & mature a bit. between my family and friends, her fam n friends, my family’s friends etc etc the wine is gone much too quick!

Back to the box wine-my wife is always picky about the wine she likes. Likes the "good" Sauvignon Blanc as opposed to the "cheap" Sauvignon Blanc. If I buy the Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc I get the look of disapproval. But same deal, we had people over (back when you still could) and the ladies were chatting inside and the guys were outside by the fire drinking red wine and planning our Alaska trip. The "good" white wine ran out and the Bota Box of Sauvignon Blanc was just fine-no complaints were heard.

And BTW the Bota SB is pretty darn good in my opinion(I used it to top the storage vessel of the SB I made) and a lot better than a lot of other inexpensive Sauvignon Blancs.

boyfriend?! thankfully we aren’t at that point yet. High school starts next year tho..... yeah. can’t wait 😑

The memory of high school boyfriends is still fresh in my mind, even though daughter is now through College, married and living in LA. Tricky navigation for sure. Good luck, glad it's you and not me.;)

Back to the box wine-my wife is always picky about the wine she likes. Likes the "good" Sauvignon Blanc as opposed to the "cheap" Sauvignon Blanc. If I buy the Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc I get the look of disapproval. But same deal, we had people over (back when you still could) and the ladies were chatting inside and the guys were outside by the fire drinking red wine and planning our Alaska trip. The "good" white wine ran out and the Bota Box of Sauvignon Blanc was just fine-no complaints were heard.

And BTW the Bota SB is pretty darn good in my opinion(I used it to top the storage vessel of the SB I made) and a lot better than a lot of other inexpensive Sauvignon Blancs.

The memory of high school boyfriends is still fresh in my mind, even though daughter is now through College, married and living in LA. Tricky navigation for sure. Good luck, glad it's you and not me.;)
noted. and thanks. . another surprisingly good cheap SB is Cupcake. Normally wouldn’t recommend Cupcake wine, but i gotta say the SB held its own. Been a while since i’ve had it tho i doubt their vintages change much

I really doubt anyone would take a jab. We can all imagine* the situation!

*Edit to clarify: I don't mean that we can imagine what happened. I meant that we can imagine ourselves in your shoes.

I must say that when I wrote this, I figgered it was the 13 y-o. But then perhaps that is because, like you, I had a miscreant past! My brother got busted for drinking before graduation, and wasn't allowed to attend graduation. Not HS graduation -- 8th grade graduation! (St. Jerome's). I did get kicked out of a Judge football game or two for similar reasons...

I must say that when I wrote this, I figgered it was the 13 y-o. But then perhaps that is because, like you, I had a miscreant past! My brother got busted for drinking before graduation, and wasn't allowed to attend graduation. Not HS graduation -- 8th grade graduation! (St. Jerome's). I did get kicked out of a Judge football game or two for similar reasons...
lol. Paul let’s not open these floodgates. can only handle so much debauchery at once. And there’s no shortage HS drinking stories! (because unfortunately it was the kinda neighborhood where you were the oddball if you didn’t partake.)

(8th grade?! lol. yep. sounds about right!)

Back