carboy levels keep dropping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to go sledding at burns golf course! Haha
SUICIDE HILL! lol. i’m sure every neighborhood or town has a ‘suicide hill’, — and that one was ours. And will never forget my brother goin head 1st into the ‘crick’!
C'mon, youse guys! It is John F. Byrne golf course! Good times! (Except when I attempted to golf there!)
will still go there on occasion too. for a city municipal course it’s kept in surprisingly good shape. (in spite of the 1st and 4th holes gettin beat up by the sledders all winter)

Judge had a golf team and Byrns was home field. i tried out with my buddies every year. Nobody ever made the team- we just wanted the 3 free rounds of golf!

And to go off topic for a second—— the actual wine thievery was only one time from one jug apparently, and not the reasoning for all the levels dropping. A bit of a ‘false flag’.

Since topping up and marking the heights last tuesday i’ve been keeping an eye on it. Still steady dropping on all vessels- little by little. And again, some dropped more than others. Was definitely coinciding with colder temps i confirmed. Here’s pics of most severe. Supposed to warm up this week so im guessing they will rise back some. A5EADA0C-8FE5-4C1C-98B0-FC7C168F2EF2.jpeg325749F6-3995-4032-9891-4B474089B725.jpegB46DEE42-5D14-4F39-9000-E89813AF3109.jpegD17516CA-1345-4C8A-920F-C84A085B9B9F.jpeg

SUICIDE HILL! lol. i’m sure every neighborhood or town has a ‘suicide hill’, — and that one was ours. And will never forget my brother goin head 1st into the ‘crick’!

will still go there on occasion too. for a city municipal course it’s kept in surprisingly good shape. (in spite of the 1st and 4th holes gettin beat up by the sledders all winter)

Judge had a golf team and Byrns was home field. i tried out with my buddies every year. Nobody ever made the team- we just wanted the 3 free rounds of golf!
Wow suicide hill! Haven't heard that in years. I almost went in the crick several times but never did. Lol

I use three plastic zip ties. One goes around the lip to hold the other two that criss cross on top to keep the bung firmly in place. You can get about 20 of them for $2 at the Dollar store. It also serves as a deterrent for wine thieves.
The level drops when you rerack.
I'm adding an addendum — caution — to my post above. Yesterday, I reracked a carboy of Nebbiolo after three months of bulk aging only to be surprised when the bung shot out with a pop. I thought I had degassed the wine thoroughly and even reracked it in the carboy for 30 days with an airlock to ensure all the gas had dissipated before inserting the solid bung for the next two months.
I read another post where a beermaker left his brew in a carboy with an airlock that somehow got clogged and the carboy exploded.
I know how fragile carboys can be. I lost one by washing it with water that was too hot.
I think I'll be keeping an airlock, secured by zip ties, on my bulk stored wines for at least eight months before switching to a solid bung that I secure with zip ties.

Back