Candy Cane wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got mine @ Wally World the cashier and a customer asked WHY??

Just tell them you got an inside tip that there is going to be a major candy cane shortage christmas 2011 and your tryin to corner the market!!! But do it dead serious! That would Hilarious!

Should have seen them look at me, I forgot the number of gallons that the 96 canes made so I purchased 50 boxes of 12. So I should have plenty:dg

Today I started my candy cane wine. Below is the bucket being emptied of broken canes

DSCN2370.jpg

The big melt down

DSCN2367.jpg

A banana soup addition

DSCN2366.jpg

I dropped my hydrometer in the must and it flew out so fast and shattered on the ceiling. Troy always said go for the alcohol. Well I'm not one to give up and I know cpfan wouldn't believe my sg reading so I pulled out the big guns. My brix reading is just a hair over 43 or an sg of 1.195. Sorry Julie you lose on highest sg.

DSCN2371.jpg

The final product before adding chemicals

DSCN2374.jpg

Since I suspected a hard start to the fermentation I through one pack in and used another pack for a starter just in case. Well four hours later the main batch already is starting to work and here is a picture of the starter.

DSCN2375.jpg

Dan add some water and make a bigger batch, that sg is way to high, lol, what yeast did you use?

Evidently, you guys came to North Carolina to buy the candy canes! The Walmart and Dollar stores are completely out of all them. They had cases sitting around before Christmas, but not a one left in my area. I can see the word is out!

By the way, the candy cane I did for Christmas was big hit! Everyone that tried it liked it. Only have two bottles left from a 5 gallon batch (we gave it away with our Christmas wine Basket gifts)

I think I'm going to expand this a little and do some butterscotch and winter green candy wine. Bet that would be good too!

Dan add some water and make a bigger batch, that sg is way to high, lol, what yeast did you use?

Julie I did (that was about 3 gallons). That was with 11 cans of Welches White Concentrate, 276 Candy Canes and 8#'s of banana's (which only produced about a cup or so of soup). I added water to make a good 7 gallons as you can see the primary is full for a new sg reading of 1.094 :rdo

Last edited:
Evidently, you guys came to North Carolina to buy the candy canes! The Walmart and Dollar stores are completely out of all them. They had cases sitting around before Christmas, but not a one left in my area. I can see the word is out!

By the way, the candy cane I did for Christmas was big hit! Everyone that tried it liked it. Only have two bottles left from a 5 gallon batch (we gave it away with our Christmas wine Basket gifts)

I think I'm going to expand this a little and do some butterscotch and winter green candy wine. Bet that would be good too!

Well David, if you can't get candy canes, maybe we can do a trade...................... like some muscadine for candy canes?????????? :tz

The coolest thing happened today. As you know my primary is "way full". I just snapped my lid on without an air lock and it started blurping red juice out the air lock hole. All I could do was laugh as it looked like a heart beating blood out of it. Oh well thought I had to share that.

Back