Candy Cane wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked my Candy Cane wine today. SG is 1.014 and hasn't moved in several days even after stirring and nutrient.Looks like Pepto Bismo.

IMG_20110113_104958.jpg

That's surprizing. I started mine 2 or 3 days after you and it's fermenting very well. Down to 1.010 this morning. I guessing I'll be able to rack Sunday or Monday.

The great peppermint smell has been over taken by the alcohol at this time. We'll see what happens. Again I have 2 versions going. I'll let everyone know which comes out the best.

Is there a good rule of thumb to use for how many pounds of banannas to use for each gallon of wine. I would to use a combo of white grape juice and banannas.

Tom is the pro on this but I used about 8 pounds for a 7 gallon batch. I simmered both the banana's and skins minus the ends and ended up with about a cup or so of soup.

I well be starting a 5 gallon batch this afternoon. 125 candy canes ($2.00), 5cans frozen white grape juice and 5 pounds banannas. We well see how it is next Christmas?????

Hey Big Bend, Steve said the wrappers come off a lot easier if you freeze them first. If you haven't unwrapped them yet have fun with the wrappers crawling up your arms! LOL Good luck and keep us posted

If you have trouble putting the stripes in your candy cane wine, you should ask Tom. :b

Tom is the pro on this but I used about 8 pounds for a 7 gallon batch. I simmered both the banana's and skins minus the ends and ended up with about a cup or so of soup.
Just looking around for my next project!
I'm just wondering is this yellow skinned banans or the speckled black bananas your adding? :D

What I do is when banannas are getting dark I cut the ends off and freeze. The "yellow" ones are not really ripe. The darker they are the more sugar is present.

Already ahead of you. I have 6 pounds sitting outside (U.P. of Michigan, 4 below zero last night).

Some of us were talking about our Candy Cane wines. Here is a photo of two trial runs I have.

picture.php

Left is with candy canes while the other is with extract. I'll add food coloring or perhaps disolve some c.c. for a back sweetener.

They both cleared pretty much over night.

It sure don't look like either one of my candy cane wines. Both have a very nice red hue to them. Almost as dark as a good strawberry wine.

Yea that is where mine is as well but then again mine is not anywhere near as clear as Steve's is thou.

The one on the left, made from candy canes (?32) was redder at the start but lost it thru the process. I'm anxious about the taste and smell.

I'll probably sample it before it's fully developed so I can alter and make a full 6 gallons for Christmas.

The one on the left, made from candy canes (?32) was redder at the start but lost it thru the process. I'm anxious about the taste and smell.

I'll probably sample it before it's fully developed so I can alter and make a full 6 gallons for Christmas.

Steve,
How long ago did you start these bayches?
Doug

It was about 2 weeks ago. They cleared overnight about 80% then later the 2nd day they looked like the picture.

I think next week I'll rack off of the sediment and sweeten/taste to get an idea. I would like to make a big batch for Christmas so I'm hoping I don't need to do another trial batch. If I do I still have time.

I have candy canes on hold for now in the basement.

Back