Candy Cane wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know i was thinking that looked a little too full in the picture, but hey i figured who am i to say anything as you've had way more experience. So i said nothing. all i have to add now is Lol!

Well David, if you can't get candy canes, maybe we can do a trade...................... like some muscadine for candy canes?????????? :tz

Julie, As hard as this is to pass up, I think I'm going to pass on this offer. But it was really nice of you to think of me. :hug

Julie I did (that was about 3 gallons). That was with 11 cans of Welches White Concentrate, 276 Candy Canes and 8#'s of banana's (which only produced about a cup or so of soup). I added water to make a good 7 gallons as you can see the primary is full for a new sg reading of 1.094 :rdo

How many pounds of candy canes does 276 equate to? I noticed that there are many different sizes of Candy canes out there.
There are boxes of a dozen canes that weight 6 ounces each box, and there are single canes that weight 4 ounces each.

How many pounds of candy canes does 276 equate to? I noticed that there are many different sizes of Candy canes out there.
There are boxes of a dozen canes that weight 6 ounces each box, and there are single canes that weight 4 ounces each.

I bought the box of 12 that weigh 6oz

Got to run to Wally World for work today! Glad they're sending me!!!

Took a day off for a Doctor's appointment and ran by a Walmart while I was out. Found two cases (72 boxes) for.22 a box. Got the canes, but don't have a single free fermenter (or room in the house) to start them right now. But at least I did find some finally. :try

Yeah im bummed they were all out! Thats ok ill just wait till next year, ive got plenty of other batches to do anyhow.

Yeah im bummed they were all out! Thats ok ill just wait till next year, ive got plenty of other batches to do anyhow.

Search around. I did and it paid off. Maybe neighboring Walmarts still have some

Took a day off for a Doctor's appointment and ran by a Walmart while I was out. Found two cases (72 boxes) for.22 a box. Got the canes, but don't have a single free fermenter (or room in the house) to start them right now. But at least I did find some finally. :try

Holy moley Dave, I thought I went over board when I bought 30. I look forward to seeing what you recipe will be.

Holy moley Dave, I thought I went over board when I bought 30. I look forward to seeing what you recipe will be.

Dan - I had 30 bottles from the first batch and all but two are gone. The wife made me keep the two for her and she don't normally drink. So that's an indication of how big a hit this was. I can only image how it will turn out if you give it time to clear properly. I had to rush the first batch to get it out in time.

I bought the mega load today because I plan on doing several batches using the normal recipe. She was with me and was encouraging my madness. I'm not sure who has this obsession more at this point.

I noticed from your pictures / posting that you opted for the banana soup instead of using an apple or white Welches base. What was the deciding factor on this decision? I know you were playing with the idea of doing an apple base and was wondering why you decided on this option?

I have 9 gallons of apple that just finished and have been placed in gallon jugs until I get some more bottles. Was really thinking about sacrificing a half gallon to see if you could add the canes to the finished product. What do you think?

Dave, in addition to the banana soup I did use 11 cans of Welches white grap concentrate. I might have used more but I cleaned Walmart out of everything they had.

Hip Hip Hooray! I threw some candy canes in the freezer for about a half hour. Ther wrappers pealed off real easy. Start at the bottom and pull to and around the curve. They come off in one piece.

They still stick slightly to your hand but one snap and they are in the trash.

My homes gonna be smelling of peppermint later today.

good tip thanks! Gona stop by the dollar store on the way home and see if they have any left.

racked to a carboy about 5 days ago, sg was 1.002. It went down faster than I thought it would. It is still an nice looking pink.

Add 12 candy canes (broke them and drop them in the jug) to a half gallon of apple wine. Taste great!!! Has just a wee bit of stuff that I'm letting settle, but a winner! :db

Add 12 candy canes (broke them and drop them in the jug) to a half gallon of apple wine. Taste great!!! Has just a wee bit of stuff that I'm letting settle, but a winner! :db

Dave are you saying you just added these to the apple wine for additional flavor? Did they dissolve at all?

Dave are you saying you just added these to the apple wine for additional flavor? Did they dissolve at all?

Broke them up and dropped them in. Dissolved completely within one hour.

I guess you could call it an experiment to see what would happen. The apple wine took on the flavor of the peppermint. You can still taste undertones of the Apple and Cinnamon, but the major flavor is peppermint. Although I added 12, it's a little weaker in peppermint than I had expected but I don't dare add more since the apple was a sweet wine to begin with. Scared to add much more because I don't think I could drink it if it gets much sweeter.

I'm thinking of starting a batch from the beginning using apple juice instead of water and skipping the banana soup / raisins. But don't have any space right now so it will have to wait. The rest of the two cases I bought are just sitting in my living room now. Hope the grandkids don't get into them! LOL

Latest posts

Back