Candy Cane wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you with a filtering system could probably clear up the last of the stuff in the wine as well.

I just picked up two gross at Wally World so I have the option of a 6 gallon Batch. OK DJ Steve and Julie, you guys know you wanna do this one!

Heading out to buy some banana's and welches (don't tell JohnT) for my 6 gal batch. I've been reading a lot of posts going back several years on this wine and I think dboard has the recipe nailed. I'll probably start it next week after my banana's ripen and freeze. I be using a lot more candy canes then deboard and it'll probably take a week to unwrap them.

Heading out to buy some banana's and welches (don't tell JohnT) for my 6 gal batch. I've been reading a lot of posts going back several years on this wine and I think dboard has the recipe nailed. I'll probably start it next week after my banana's ripen and freeze. I be using a lot more candy canes then deboard and it'll probably take a week to unwrap them.

Where is his recipe located. (i did try to search for 'dboard' in the advanced search). i have been looking at the "CCW" (candy cane wine) posts for about a week myself.

Where is his recipe located. (i did try to search for 'dboard' in the advanced search). i have been looking at the "CCW" (candy cane wine) posts for about a week myself.

Bham, take one step back, turn left, go back one page one this thread and go South and you'll see it posted.

You will find the limit of your sanity unwrapping those candy canes if they were anything like mine. Strip a wrapper off, throw it away, oh wait, try again, oh now there's three more stuck to my hand. I'm surprised I didn't have a mental break. There was plenty of cursing involved, which almost always helps.

You will find the limit of your sanity unwrapping those candy canes if they were anything like mine. Strip a wrapper off, throw it away, oh wait, try again, oh now there's three more stuck to my hand. I'm surprised I didn't have a mental break. There was plenty of cursing involved, which almost always helps.

I think that process would need to involve wine sampling to maintain your sanity. Hence why I'll stick with a smaller batch...

I've read some folks have had trouble getting this wine to clear. Candy canes contain corn starch. Corn starch is an item used to thicken in cooking.

When you melt the canes you are now thickening the corn starch even more. They structure of the starch is like a thick mesh holding tightly together.

I would recommend adding pectic enzyme. I believe this will help the clearing.

I will do 2 batches, 1 with candy canes and 1 with peppermint extract and ingredients but without corn starch.

OMG, everything you said was so true. Finally finished unwrapping 288 candy canes after three hours. Just for future reference:
1. Don't do the store any favors and buy the broken candy canes. They're 10 times harder to unwrap
2. I wore latex gloves, not sure if that helped with the clingy wrap or not.
3. I used a razer knife to score the wrapper first. That help tremendously.
4. Do this part at a relaxed time like watching TV. Just get it done ahead of time.:gn

I've read some folks have had trouble getting this wine to clear. Candy canes contain corn starch. Corn starch is an item used to thicken in cooking.

When you melt the canes you are now thickening the corn starch even more. They structure of the starch is like a thick mesh holding tightly together.

I would recommend adding pectic enzyme. I believe this will help the clearing.

I will do 2 batches, 1 with candy canes and 1 with peppermint extract and ingredients but without corn starch.

Please update us on the results when these are done, the peppermint extract sounds like something I'd try.

OMG, everything you said was so true. Finally finished unwrapping 288 candy canes after three hours. Just for future reference:
1. Don't do the store any favors and buy the broken candy canes. They're 10 times harder to unwrap
2. I wore latex gloves, not sure if that helped with the clingy wrap or not.
3. I used a razer knife to score the wrapper first. That help tremendously.
4. Do this part at a relaxed time like watching TV. Just get it done ahead of time.:gn

Heehee, I remember the broken ones too. Also, the ones that aren't broken, but as you very carefully pull the wrapper off, it breaks at the crook!

But, when you put them all in the boiling water, your house will smell wonderful for a little while, so it's all worth it.

ok, i started 2 gallons. I used 54 canes and my sg is 1.100. I have a couple ideas so I will be doing two separate wines.

I have 1 recipe with candy canes and the other without. With all the wrapper dilemma I can't wait to see how the extract version works.

Heehee, I remember the broken ones too. Also, the ones that aren't broken, but as you very carefully pull the wrapper off, it breaks at the crook!

But, when you put them all in the boiling water, your house will smell wonderful for a little while, so it's all worth it.

SWMBO did not like the smell!

I thought it was OK though

Latest posts

Back