WineXpert Best results...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD25

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just racked my Johannisberg Riesling for the 2nd time. It's clearing nicley. The directions say to bottle in the next few days and add K-Meta. I only have Sodium Meta. What should my next steps be to insure best results?

Thanks in advance.

JD

I use Na-Meta (soduim) in every kit. It will give a little more sulpites than K-Meta will.

Adding additional meta in the amount of 1/4 tsp/1.5 grams for extended agingusing sodium instead of potassium isn't a problem even though it usually isn't recommended due to the perception it will make you wine taste salty and contribute to your high blood pressure.
smiley36.gif

OK, thanks.

How long should I bulk age then before bottling. I'd like to have this ready around mid summer if possible, but won't if I'm sacrificing quality. Thoughts?

this is i a white wine right? if so they dont include extra meta cause the whites are ready to drink young i beleive. but not total sure.

Whites are typically earlier drinkers but they need k-meta more if youre going to age them as they dont have the tannin levels as a red wine that protect them. you can bulk age as long as you want, I typically bulk around 2 months for a white wine and try for 6 months on a red but I always need carboys and i have a good wine cellar for storing bottled wine so once its clear and has had some bulk aging for the wine to establish itself and achieve greater complexity.

Just be sure to bottle at least a month before you want to start drinking to let the wine recover from "bottle shock."

Yes, they dont hold up as good as reds if your going to let them age at all.

So, step 1: order 1lb k-meta from George. The guys are right. If you are planning to drink in summer you don't really need to bulk age although a couple of months won't hurt. Just be sure to bottle a couple of months ahead of when you plan to drink.

I add extra K-meta to all my kit wines (red or white)as it willNEVER hurt and ALWAYS help to protect it.

We are planning to transfer our Barolo WE today. Our plan was to bulk age for a few months before we bottle. If we add the K-Metanow, will that amount be good for when we bottle also? It has been in the stabilising and clearing stage for 3 weeks now. Took a sample a few days ago and was crystal clear and thought it tasted pretty good. Thanks!

MOOSE most kit wines tell you when to add the K-MET and the amount in the package usually a1/4 teaspoon per. 5/6 gallons that should be enough to much and it can inpart a sulfer like taste,ckeck your instructions//
smiley2.gif
whether bulk ageing or not the instructions prevail////Edited by: joeswine

We added the 1/4 tsp and brought it down in the basement. It stays around 60* all the time. Going to leave it for 3 months and then bottle.

Latest posts

Back