RJ Spagnols En Primeur Cab Sav - Pectin question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewfieMike

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting the kit above and it's my first time using Pectin enzyme in my primary. I know a few of you do this and/or use it with tannin (ft rouge or opti-red) and I wanted to give it a try.
My purpose is to get as much out of the skins as possible and see if there's a noticeable difference in the finished wine.

My question: This kit also came with a pectinase pack with instructions to add in secondary to help clearing after removing the skins. I wasn't planning to add this pack and I want to make sure this is ok?

I know Bryan (Winemaker81) always says to understand why you are doing something, or are not doing something. So here's my thought

I used pectin per instructions for my 6g kit in primary after adding skins and oak, no extra tannin or bentonite used. At 1.020 I will move from primary into a speidel for a 4 week EM with skins. I plan to bulk age at least 9months with oak cubes and will not use any fining agents, just k-meta.

Since clearing shouldn't be an issue, do you see any other reason for me to add this pack ?

Thanks in advance for your time

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that RJS includes that pectinase pack to deal with a pectin haze after the primary fermentation. It's really fuzzy and I did a quick google search and didn't find anything backing that up, so it might be a wine induced memory.

I am also of the opinion that wine kit manufacturers don't include items in the kit that aren't needed (at least sometimes) and they should probably be added per their directions. I would tend to follow the directions, assuming the kit manufacturer knows what is needed and when. But, it's your kit, your wine. I have made several of the En Primeur Amarone style kits, mostly followed directions, except I aged longer and added some extra oak, after tasting and deciding it would be a good thing for my taste buds. I think if if were me, I might add some extra pectin at the beginning, and then add the included packet at the time they suggested.

I agree with Craig. The consensus on the forum is that pectic enzyme doesn't hurt the wine, so adding the included packet, post-fermentation, won't cause harm and may be beneficial.

The descriptions of Opti-Red and FT Rouge don't indicate that they help with extraction (they provide other benefits), so adding pectic enzyme should help with extraction. It sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks so much for the replies Craig and Bryan, always appreciated !

I'll go ahead and add the extra pectin pack post fermentation.

May I add, If using Opti Red and FT Rouge, I would suggest also adding Llalzyme EX-V to the regiment
Absolutely, and I believe it was one of your previous post that gave me the idea, since it's something you do =)

Unfortunately, its really hard to get those products here in Eastern Canada or even shipped here. But I will definitely add the Llalzyme if I can get my hands on Opti Red or FT Rouge.

Back