Other Backsweeting question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantaleo

Junior
Reaction score
I have a quick question. I have a moscato kit that I followed the directions to completions. In stead of bottling (because I didn't have time), I just racked it into a sterile carboy for bulk aging. The kit included Kieselsol and Chitosan (I assume for clearing) and gave directions for sweetening if desired. Now that I have some time, I plan on to backsweeten the wine (sorbate/simple syrup).

Here's my question: Should I also add some k-meta with the sorbate before adding the sugar?

I think that I am going leave the wine for another month or two and then bottle, so I am leaning toward the k-meta. But I don't want to add too much sulfite to the wine.

Thanks for the help!

I have a quick question. I have a moscato kit that I followed the directions to completions. In stead of bottling (because I didn't have time), I just racked it into a sterile carboy for bulk aging. The kit included Kieselsol and Chitosan (I assume for clearing) and gave directions for sweetening if desired. Now that I have some time, I plan on to backsweeten the wine (sorbate/simple syrup).

Here's my question: Should I also add some k-meta with the sorbate before adding the sugar?

I think that I am going leave the wine for another month or two and then bottle, so I am leaning toward the k-meta. But I don't want to add too much sulfite to the wine.

Thanks for the help!

well I guess it depend how much you have already added, I usually add sulphites before fermentation, then once fermentation and I also sorbate at this time and backsweeten, then about every 3 - 4 months.

Yep, if this is a kit you wouldnt have added sulfites in the beginning, just when fermentation is done and then about eery 4 months or more depending on how many times you add it as every time you add it after awhile it builds up to too much if your not measuring your sulfite levels. In this instance if you already added what came with the kit and its been a few months since youve done this then you will want to add like 1/8th tsp per 6 gallons and then add your sorbate if you havent added the sorbate yet. Sorbate is a one time thing though unlike sulfites.

In this instance if you already added what came with the kit and its been a few months since youve done this then you will want to add like 1/8th tsp per 6 gallons and then add your sorbate if you havent added the sorbate yet. Sorbate is a one time thing though unlike sulfites.

Thanks, Wade. This just confirms what I was thinking. :b

Latest posts

Back