Time lag for bottling after backsweetening?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearpaw8491

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you feel a certain length of time should be allowed after K-Meta, sorbate and the sweeting agent (in that order) is added to the wine to ensure no re-fermentation occurs OR do you think the action of the sorbate is basically “immediate” and that bottling may proceed without a “waiting period”?

I have always gone directly to bottling without incident but curious as to the general consensus.

I've been bottling immediately after backsweetening for decades, and have never had a problem.

Keep in mind that I buy sorbate in the smallest available packet, and bin it after 12-15 months to ensure I have fresh sorbate. If the sorbate is older or was stored in less-than-stellar conditions, waiting a day or three may be wise. Finding out the sorbate was past it's best-by date when corks start popping in the racks is not a good thing,

I Know this is a different scenario than what you are referring to, but I’ve bottled a wine that didn’t go dry during fermentation, no sorbate and was stable for 6 months. Sure enough, it decided to finish fermentation in the bottle a month later. I guess the point is, I’m not sure waiting even a month or two is going to give you any real information.

I Know this is a different scenario than what you are referring to, but I’ve bottled a wine that didn’t go dry during fermentation, no sorbate and was stable for 6 months. Sure enough, it decided to finish fermentation in the bottle a month later. I guess the point is, I’m not sure waiting even a month or two is going to give you any real information.
I 100% agree with @NorCal - I've shouldered my share of disappointment having bottled too early. To quantify "too early", bottling anything that hasn't had at least 18 months of bulk shelf time after fermentation has completed. By waiting, you'll have still and clear wine...

Thanks, appreciate the varying thoughts. Seems about evenly split between a lag time and immediate bottling. I experienced bottle grenades on one occasion back in my early winemaking career. I learned fast for a boy my age and since then, I've either been good - right amt of fresh sorbate or just plain lucky. I'm leaning towards "Good" ! 😃

Happy Holidays to all.

Latest posts

Back