WineXpert Bottling from a bucket - Ok to leave for 2 days prior

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhodesy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi - After a few years I am back to making wine from kits. During the process I will rack a few times and then filter prior to bottling. Whilst I will bulk in a carboy under vaccum, is there consensus that on the final rack prior to bottling if its ok to let the wine rest for 2 days post filtering in a brewing bucket? I would be adding K-Meta at this stage but just conscious of the head space only if for a few days.

I had previously bottled straight from filtering but reading into all of this again it is not advised. Any tips or feedback welcome :)

I had previously bottled straight from filtering but reading into all of this again it is not advised

I am confused by this. I have never heard of anything like this. I can see no rationale for letting the wine sit exposed to oxygen. If you know the reasons behind it, please share. If you can’t remember, than I would suggest filtering then immediately bottling.

I am confused by this. I have never heard of anything like this. I can see no rationale for letting the wine sit exposed to oxygen. If you know the reasons behind it, please share. If you can’t remember, than I would suggest filtering then immediately bottling.
The manufacturer of the pump filter I use suggests so, saying that the wine is in an agitated state and should settle a couple of days. The wine kit also suggests to rack, wait 2 days and then bottle. I just prefer to use a bucket with a want rather than a siphon, first world problems I guess.

https://buonvino.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/MiniJet_MJT93089_Inst_en.pdf

Would a solution be to rack into another carboy and only when you are ready to bottle to rack into the bottling bucket? I guess I am sufficiently anxious when I bottle 5 or 6 gallons and so have the bottles sitting uncorked for 30 minutes, to shiver at the thought of racking into a wide mouthed bucket and coming back after a couple of days to begin bottling... but then I never seal my buckets and use them only for the first week or two of active fermentation.

The manufacturer of the pump filter I use suggests so, saying that the wine is in an agitated state and should settle a couple of days. The wine kit also suggests to rack, wait 2 days and then bottle. I just prefer to use a bucket with a want rather than a siphon, first world problems I guess.

https://buonvino.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/MiniJet_MJT93089_Inst_en.pdf
I agree filter pumps like that disrupt the wine. More like beat it to death. I used one a few times and never again.

My concern is that the manufacturer is instructing you to do this. He knows is doing bad things. My personal opinion is to ditch that system. I have no facts to back this up, just intuition.

Would a solution be to rack into another carboy and only when you are ready to bottle to rack into the bottling bucket? I guess I am sufficiently anxious when I bottle 5 or 6 gallons and so have the bottles sitting uncorked for 30 minutes, to shiver at the thought of racking into a wide mouthed bucket and coming back after a couple of days to begin bottling... but then I never seal my buckets and use them only for the first week or two of active fermentation.
Certainly the first question is do I need to filter. Time usually causes all sediment to drop out. If you’ve got the time there is no need to filter. I also rack to a bottling bucket, the difference in my process is I fill 4 bottles, then cork all 4. Again and again and again....

Thanks all, I think what I will try is to use a an inline filter screen with gravity (I have these for beer homebrew when closed transfer via co2) on any reds which may have the odd bit of fine oak or the likes coming through into a carboy then just either bottle from there using a siphon or into a bottling bucket and bottle straight away.

Appreciate all the feedback. Just happy to get back into this again.

Latest posts

Back