Yellow Plum wine attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing i've learned is too let all the pulp float to the top and it will dry out a bit overnite. Then take a spoon and start taking it out of the bucket till you hit juice. do that two days in a row and then use a straining bag, lots easier and less messy.

I am not sure which person posted info on Bentonite, either Turock are running wolf....maybe neither, but they said they added the Bentonite at fermentation...
I have done this with my last two batches..I got a healthy ferment and the wine cleared, are was clearing faster...I dont think I lost any color are flavor in the wine. both batches were excellent.

If I remember correctly .. Not sure at my age .. They advised to add pectin up front and after the third day of active ferment you should add the bentonite. Something about pectin and bentonite work against each other so allow the pectin three days to so its work.

It really depends on the type oc fruit, strength oc glavor of the fruit, and #s the fruut came in with that eould determine if and how much to dilute. Personally I wouldnt really dilute a plum wine unless the numbers were way off!

I am not sure which person posted info on Bentonite, either Turock are running wolf....maybe neither, but they said they added the Bentonite at fermentation...
I have done this with my last two batches..I got a healthy ferment and the wine cleared, are was clearing faster...I dont think I lost any color are flavor in the wine. both batches were excellent.

It was Turock, and I fully agree.
My last two batches I've done the same, bentonite in the primary on day 3. I've had nice even ferments and they have cleared faster.

It will be cloudy until it stops making CO2... It wont stop making CO2 until fermentation is finished (and then you have to get residual CO2 after that)... So dont expect it to clear, while still fermenting... If it starts clearing, then the wine stalled and actions need to be taken to get it going again.. So it not clearing = good signs.

66 degrees is on the cool side, not a bad thing - its just lengthening your fermentation, but that will also help to retain more aromatics and delicate flavors that high temp fermentations "blow out" (literally, with CO2) or transform into cooked-sort of flavors..

Edit: Err.. Said 66 at the top of your post - the ambient temp downstairs - but the radar gun reads 75.. Did you hug it on the way upstairs? :)

4.0 pH is kind of high.. 7.0 is neutral, and most wines are in the 3.2 - 3.4 range.. Some, like this batch get as high as 4.0 and others come in at 2.8-2.9... But 3.2 - 3.4 is the sweet spot. I dont know if I would correct it mid-ferment, but maybe.. I'd let others weigh in on that and take the concensus then weigh it against your gut feeling... If you do add acid, add half of what you think you need, remeasure and add more - you DONT want to overshoot it, that much I promise you..

The "slime" that rose and sank, had CO2 attached to it, and when you disturbed it, it dislodged enough that that CO2 could carry the mass to the top - then when the gas dissipated, gravity said "Get over here!" something akin to Scorpion from Mortal Kombat :) (bahahahaha, I just made a Mortal Kombat reference on a wine forum - shows what generation this guy is)

Sounds like it doing what its supposed to be doing

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back