Yellow Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJD

Junior
Reaction score
Hello! I am fairly new at making wine and have been using kits. The first batch was Sauvignon Blanc but, while drinkable, it was yellow and rather harsh. Second batch was a pinot grigio that was much better but still yellowish. Thinking that the wine is becoming oxygenated but not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Thinking we mite need a bit more info. How far along is the ferment? If you have a hydrometer, what are the readings. If you don't have one, pick one up. They are not expensive. Anyway, welcome to the forum and you might have more luck with answers if you post in the beginner forum. Arne.

Sorry I missed your question earlier.

Does it look yellow in the glass? Or are you judging the appearance based on the wine in a carboy?

The reason I am asking is that, because of the longer distances through the larger vessel, wine always looks darker than we are used to from glasses and bottles.

Also, regarding the harshness: It takes quite a bit of time for newly fermented wine to mellow out. There is a reason that when you buy wine at the store it is generally at least a year old!

Yellow color doesn’t mean that the wine tastes bad. What flavor? Low oxidation is pleasing, a bit more it has sharp notes like dried apricots and an apple like aroma, lots of oxidation is sherry like/ roasted nut like. Reductive wine is like fried chicken or the wife’s hair perm. Sulfury. Reductive is strong and overpowers the fruity aromatics.
,,,, can you say more about bad?
Red wines are easier to make, they resist oxidation and getting reductive
* harsh? does sugar fix the taste? Could be acid. Kits usually are well balanced though.

Welcome to wine making talk

Latest posts

Back